Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Bruton says Easter Rising was ‘unnecessary’

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    FYP.
    Actually, no. I posted a definition of military occupation to support my argument. The fact that you could only respond with something as pathetic as a "FYP" speaks volumes.
    Part of the "UK of GB & Ire" I suppose then?
    Why the danger quotes? Why the rhetorical question?

Yes, Ireland was part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Pretending that this wasn't the case is the most transparent and facile debating tactic imaginable.
    The occupation of Ireland was the physical manifestation of the British trying to enforce such a Union.
    Has it escaped your notice that the people of Ireland voted in Westminster elections? How many military occupations involve the occupying power letting the people of the occupied territory vote for the government of the occupying power?
    And the consent of the Irish population to such a Union is listed where in the history books?
    It's right there beside the consent of the Scottish people to a similar union a century earlier.

Jesus, seriously? You think referenda were de rigeur in the eighteenth century?
    Acts passed by a parliament in another country and a so-called Irish parliament utterly unrepresentative of it's native population do not a Union make.
    Sadly, they do. Freeman on the Land woo aside, acts of unpopular and even corrupt governments are still legally binding, and "I would prefer if something hadn't happened" has never, ever made something not have happened.
    No doubt you derive your viewpoint that the government was suppressing an insurrection "in their own country" from the position that you accept the Act of Union.
    Yes. Because I'm basing my arguments on what actually happened in history, not on what it suits my argument to pretend didn't.

You're basically saying that because the Act of Union wasn't good for Ireland, it doesn't count. That's an utterly bizarre argument.
    Oh, and re your belief that the people of 1916 and the dissidents are the same, even John Bruton wouldn't agree:
    This may come as a shock to you, but I don't agree with everything John Bruton says.
    I doubt that John Bruton has the same beliefs about the dissidents. If they are the same, what peace process did they end or even majorly alter, if your claiming that 1916 ended the process that was Home Rule?
    I can see I made a mistake using the phrase "exactly the same"; it allowed you to take my point out of context and score a point by finding an area of subtle difference. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Actually, no. I posted a definition of military occupation to support my argument. The fact that you could only respond with something as pathetic as a "FYP" speaks volumes.

Wasn't referring to that, only to you saying that 'Ireland wasn't occupied'. I believe such a statement to be historical interpretation, hence subjective.
    Why the danger quotes? Why the rhetorical question?

Yes, Ireland was part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Pretending that this wasn't the case is the most transparent and facile debating tactic imaginable.

Has it escaped your notice that the people of Ireland voted in Westminster elections? How many military occupations involve the occupying power letting the people of the occupied territory vote for the government of the occupying power?

The above is underpinned by you accepting the Act of Union. They're your beliefs. Others may not agree with these beliefs.
    Jesus, seriously? You think referenda were de rigeur in the eighteenth century? Sadly, they do. Freeman on the Land woo aside, acts of unpopular and even corrupt governments are still legally binding, and "I would prefer if something hadn't happened" has never, ever made something not have happened. Yes. Because I'm basing my arguments on what actually happened in history, not on what it suits my argument to pretend didn't.

You're basically saying that because the Act of Union wasn't good for Ireland, it doesn't count. That's an utterly bizarre argument.

It never ceases to amaze me, the first thing that people do when defending the Act of Union, is to tell people how bad things were back then, but then go ahead and say that they accept it anyway..........
    This may come as a shock to you, but I don't agree with everything John Bruton says.

Not a shock at all. If that's the case that's fine with me.
    I can see I made a mistake using the phrase "exactly the same"; it allowed you to take my point out of context and score a point by finding an area of subtle difference. Well done.

I merely made an opposing point as to why I believe that they aren't the same. What's the problem?

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me, the first thing that people do when defending the Act of Union, is to tell people how bad things were back then, but then go ahead and say that they accept it anyway..........
    Who's defending the Act of Union? You seem to live in this starkly monochromatic world, where someone can either celebrate the Act of Union or pretend it didn't happen, with no middle ground.

Out here in reality, the Act of Union happened. If you want to say that it shouldn't have happened, fine: I won't argue with that. But to claim that the Union never happened in order to justify a bizarre claim that Ireland was militarily occupied, in turn so you can justify violence in pursuit of a political aim: that's just silly.

Tell me: prior to 1800, when was the last time that Ireland was a single, independent, sovereign nation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Tell me: prior to 1800, when was the last time that Ireland was a single, independent, sovereign nation?

That's supposed to be an argument? Seriously?

Nodin wrote: »
    That's supposed to be an argument? Seriously?

It's a question.

It's a question.

Whats the relevance? You could fire that question at Greece, the US, the continent of Africa, most of the middle East......

Whats the relevance? You could fire that question at Greece, the US, the continent of Africa, most of the middle East......
    I'll take the defensiveness about the question as confirmation that the answer is "never".

I'll take the defensiveness about the question as confirmation that the answer is "never".

But "never" is irrelevant.

Out here in reality, the Act of Union happened.

Also out here in reality, I just see it as merely yet another effort by the British to continue their rule here from before 1800. It's not worthy of consideration in itself as an event to mark the formation of a "new country". Only the British and Unionists thought it was, and that such a country was created.
    But to claim that the Union never happened in order to justify a bizarre claim that Ireland was militarily occupied

If one rejected British rule in 1916, why would any such claim be bizarre?
    in turn so you can justify violence in pursuit of a political aim

Ah yes, playing the moral card again against those seeking independence outside of the Home Rule path. If you recognize the Act of Union, aren't you also justifying violence as well, since the British government would then be suppressing an insurrection in 'their own country', and you don't appear to have a problem with that?

Are you trying to claim one only existed after 1800? What was the USA before 1776? What was East Timor before the 1999 to 2002 period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Who's defending the Act of Union? You seem to live in this starkly monochromatic world, where someone can either celebrate the Act of Union or pretend it didn't happen, with no middle ground.

Out here in reality, the Act of Union happened. If you want to say that it shouldn't have happened, fine: I won't argue with that. But to claim that the Union never happened in order to justify a bizarre claim that Ireland was militarily occupied, in turn so you can justify violence in pursuit of a political aim: that's just silly.

What was this Act of Union about??

How, and why did it 'happen'??

Here is a very small insight as to how this 'union' came about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acts_of_Union_1800
    After centuries subordination to the English, and later, British Parliaments, the Parliament of Ireland gained a large measure of independence by the Constitution of 1782.

Many members of the Irish Parliament jealously guarded its autonomy (notably Henry Grattan) and a motion for union was rejected in 1799.

However, a concerted campaign by the British government overcame the reluctance of the Irish Parliament.

Only Anglicans were permitted to become members of the Parliament of Ireland, though the great majority of the Irish population were Roman Catholic, with many Presbyterians in Ulster.

In 1793 Roman Catholics regained the right to vote if they owned or rented property worth £2 p.a. The Catholic hierarchy was strongly in favour of union, hoping for rapid emancipation – the right to sit as MPs – which was however delayed until 1829.

From the perspective of Great Britain, the union was required because of the uncertainty that followed the Irish Rebellion of 1798 and the French Revolution of 1789, which inspired the rebels;

if Ireland adopted Catholic Emancipation, willingly or not, a Roman Catholic parliament could break away from Britain and ally with the French, while the same measure within a united kingdom would exclude that possibility.

Also the Irish and British parliaments, when creating a regency during King George III's "madness", gave the Prince Regent different powers.

These considerations led Great Britain to decide to merge the two kingdoms and their parliaments.

The final passage of the Act in the Irish Parliament was achieved with substantial majorities, achieved in part according to contemporary documents through bribery, namely the awarding of peerages and honours to critics to get their votes.

Whereas the first attempt had been defeated in the Irish House of Commons by 109 votes against to 104 for, the second vote in 1800 produced a result of 158 to 115.[8]

Tell us what was being United, to result in a single United Kingdom, your 'country' reference from many posts back.

The 'country' which you say was forced to put down a violent Nationalist/Republican 'insurrection'.

The 'country' which put down another violent 'insurrection' by Robert Emmett, a United Irishman, in 1803, who said this, before being hanged and beheaded:
    Let no man write my epitaph; for as no man who knows my motives dare now vindicate them, let not prejudice or ignorance, asperse them.

Let them and me rest in obscurity and peace, and my tomb remain uninscribed, and my memory in oblivion, until other times and other men can do justice to my character.

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth, then and not till then, let my epitaph be written. I have done

I see far too many factual terms being put in danger quotes: this discussion has descended into the usual morass of people inventing definitions of words to fit a specific historical agenda.

If we can't have a conversation without putting quotes around "country" and "insurrection"; if we're at the level of arguing that Ireland was militarily occupied by a foreign power because believing so was the required justification for starting a war; then we're already neck-deep in a game of make-believe that I've no interest in playing.

So I'll bow out. It doesn't matter what I or the small number of people who share my views say: in under two years time this country will be celebrating the "heroes" who started a war. I won't be taking part. On the plus side, the small minority of us who disagree with the majority view in this matter almost certainly won't be killing anyone to force our point of view on the rest of you.

I see far too many factual terms being put in danger quotes: this discussion has descended into the usual morass of people inventing definitions of words to fit a specific historical agenda.

If we can't have a conversation without putting quotes around "country" and "insurrection"; if we're at the level of arguing that Ireland was militarily occupied by a foreign power because believing so was the required justification for starting a war; then we're already neck-deep in a game of make-believe that I've no interest in playing.

So I'll bow out. It doesn't matter what I or the small number of people who share my views say: in under two years time this country will be celebrating the "heroes" who started a war. I won't be taking part. On the plus side, the small minority of us who disagree with the majority view in this matter almost certainly won't be killing anyone to force our point of view on the rest of you.

These so-called danger quotes were, in my case anyway, to emphasise the words you used.

I note your use of quotes around the word heroes, presumably meaning those brave people who participated in our Revolution in 1916, and those who fought in our War of Independence, whom you would seek to disparage.

I fear you bowed out some time ago, when you refused to participate in a discussion, which you were unwilling to have, unless on your narrow terms only, providing "dictionary definitions", etc. which you insisted were the only basis for a discussion with you, because, according to you, they were the unvarnished truth.

In essence, you set preconditions, based upon only your own interpretation of events, which, even now, are a matter of dispute, but which you insisted your interpretations only would form the basis for any discussion with you, or no discussion at all.

Just what do you mean by this:

"the small minority of us who disagree with the majority view in this matter almost certainly won't be killing anyone to force our point of view on the rest of you."

Are you attempting to say that people disagreeing with you and like minded colleagues are threatening violence or murder on people holding contrarian points of view??

Or what??

It is a most odd thing to say in relation to those who, in good faith, might hold views which you disagree with.

It betrays kind of paranoia, which perhaps you should talk to someone about.

If we can't have a conversation without putting quotes around "country" and "insurrection"; if we're at the level of arguing that Ireland was militarily occupied by a foreign power because believing so was the required justification for starting a war; then we're already neck-deep in a game of make-believe that I've no interest in playing..

The country was occupied. It strikes me as bizarre beyond belief that anyone would say otherwise, short of humour or satire.

Do kindly explain how that comment I've placed in bold pertains to the discussion on this thread. Or is it perhaps just a parting jibe?

I see far too.......

It seems you are surprised by the notion that different interpretations of Irish history exist as well as the one that starts: "On the 1st January 1801 the Act of ..........". Ah well, you know how the rest of it goes. Terms like "make-believe" seem to indicate a certain level of intolerance on your behalf of other lines of thought on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

The country was occupied. It strikes me as bizarre beyond belief that anyone would say otherwise, short of humour or satire.

Nothing bizarre atall about considering the term 'occupation' inappropriate for describing the Irish/English relationship back in 1914/1916.

This country then had full democratic representation in the British parliament.
    The Irish were quite happy to use this situation to further their political interests.

• Advertisement

Good loser wrote: »

Nothing bizarre atall about considering the term 'occupation' inappropriate for describing the Irish/English relationship back in 1914/1916.

This country then had full democratic representation in the British parliament.
    The Irish were quite happy to use this situation to further their political interests.

Using a situation to ones advantage doesn't imply one approved of how and why one ended up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I can't believe we have to contest the notion that the country was occupied now, that's ridiculous. There are some who clearly cling to the narrative that Ireland was a free and equal partner in a United Kingdom. The reality was that it was a defeated and colonised nation that was bound into a political union against its will as a result of a long process of conquest. Resisting this was a morally justified affair as far as I'm concerned and those who took the forefront of that resistance should be lauded and commemorated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

FTA69 wrote: »
    I can't believe we have to contest the notion that the country was occupied now, that's ridiculous. There are some who clearly cling to the narrative that Ireland was a free and equal partner in a United Kingdom. The reality was that it was a defeated and colonised nation that was bound into a political union against its will as a result of a long process of conquest. Resisting this was a morally justified affair as far as I'm concerned and those who took the forefront of that resistance should be lauded and commemorated.

I presume that . . . "From many of Britain's ruling elite" Ireland was always the poor relation next door who had a tendancy to drink too much, and to be friends with Britain's enemies, namely the Spanish, the French, and more recently zee Germans! So from Britains perspective I guess it was best that Ireland was brought into the political fold with the act of union (1801) so that the ship could be kept ship shape & bristol fashion.

Personally I would have been a fan of Home Rule 'a la John Burton', but sadly, circumstances including the Great War & the easter rising complicated matters and the rest is history, but I would certainly have wanted our own devolved parliament in Dublin after WWI, when the dust had settled.

LordSutch wrote: »
    I presume that . . . "From many of Britain's ruling elite" Ireland was always the poor relation next door who had a tendancy to drink too much, and to be friends with Britain's enemies, namely the Spanish, the French, and more recently zee Germans! So from Britains perspective I guess it was best that Ireland was brought into the political fold with the act of union (1801) so that the ship could be kept ship shape & bristol fashion.

Condescending, patronising nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Using a situation to ones advantage doesn't imply one approved of how and why one ended up there.

Given Ireland was under military occupation, do you regard the 1918 election result as being illegitimate?

• Advertisement

Sand wrote: »
    Given Ireland was under military occupation, do you regard the 1918 election result as being illegitimate?

Yes, in the sense that the only option was to send Irish politicians to the parliament of the occupying power. Hence the formation of the first Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

My good friend View.....

You are aware that this was an General Election, not a Plebiscite, or a Referendum??

I am fully aware of that.
    It, the General Election, was fought in accordance with the Electoral rules prevailing at that time......

Agreed.
    The result, in Ireland, when the votes were counted, was a Landslide victory for Sinn Féin and it's Platform.

This was due to votes cast, in the FPTP electoral system, and a considerable number of uncontested seats conceded to SF, which it seems you are totally unaware of.

I am aware of both.

A poor electoral system, such as FPTP, does not turn a minority of the popular vote cast into a "Clear majority" in favour of a proposition though (particularly with a significant %age of the adult population still disenfranchised at the time).

Nor indeed does the existence of uncontested seats, particularly when those seats were in areas of the country where contemporary reports at the time (before the election) indicated the state had already lost control of (or to use the language of the day "where the King's writ no longer runs").
    In that 1918 Election in GB, there was a victory for the National Coalition Parties [Tory/Liberal/Etc,] in terms of seats won in the GB Parliament, but this was with a combined 47% of votes cast.

A MINORITY of the votes cast....

as you so subtly/shoutily put it......

Very exciting but no one was suggesting it constituted a mandate for GB to leave the UK, were they? :-)

Rather it was an election to elect MPs to Parliament (and, hence, to ensure a government was elected by MPs from the ranks of Parliament).

Exactly as it was in Ireland since it was the same election held on the same day.

I am afraid you are undermining your own case if you are attempting to claim securing a majority of seats in a general election under a poor electoral system has the same validity as securing a majority in a referendum.

Hence the situation is that SF did not secure a majority of votes cast in either the general election or in a subsequent referendum, so they had no "clear majority" - all of which shows them acting without care or consideration for the views of others on the island at a time when a fairly fundamental constitutional issue was up for decision.

Yes, in the sense that the only option was to send Irish politicians to the parliament of the occupying power. Hence the formation of the first Dail.

Would you then regard the 1910 general election to be legitimate, being held under the same occupation?

Would you then regard the 1910 general election to be legitimate, being held under the same occupation?

No, for the reasons already outlined. Can we cut to the chase now?

Could you explain the different judgement on either election's legitimacy, other than the result?

Could you explain the different judgement on either election's legitimacy, other than the result?
    ....................do you regard the 1918 election result as being illegitimate?

To which I answered "Yes, in the sense............"
    Would you then regard the 1910 general election to be legitimate

To which I answered "No.............................."

Thus there's no different judgement on the results.

To which I answered "Yes, in the sense............"

To which I answered "No.............................."

Thus there's no different judgement on the results.

Do you then regard the first Dail formed by those elected in the 1918 election, and the later campaigns which drew legitimacy from the first Dail to be illegitimate by extension?

Do you then regard the first Dail formed by those elected in the 1918 election, and the later campaigns which drew legitimacy from the first Dail to be illegitimate by extension?

Not at all. There was a vote, and those who received that vote formed the first Dail. Had they taken their seats in Westminister it would have been illegitimate.

Not at all. There was a vote, and those who received that vote formed the first Dail. Had they taken their seats in Westminister it would have been illegitimate.

Would you regard unionist votes to be illegitimate by default under a valid electoral contest then?

Would you regard unionist votes to be illegitimate by default under a valid electoral contest then?

?????? Now? Then?

• Advertisement

?????? Now? Then?

Would you have a different answer in either case?

Would you have a different answer in either case?

The whole thing was a joke then, as we were an occupied state. However the modern Republican movement recognises the NI state as part of Britain, until such time as a majority decides otherwise.

The whole thing was a joke then, as we were an occupied state. However the modern Republican movement recognises the NI state as part of Britain, until such time as a majority decides otherwise.

Does that mean you would regard all unionist votes and voters in the 1918 election to be illegitimate on the basis of who they voted for?

Does your different reaction to current day voters mean that you do not consider Northern Ireland to be occupied by Britain?

Does that mean you would regard all unionist votes and voters in the 1918 election to be illegitimate on the basis of who they voted for??

I'd consider it an entirely dubious election based on the destination of those who were to be elected.
    Does your different reaction to current day voters mean that you do not consider Northern Ireland to be occupied by Britain?

I consider it to be occupied, but as rights for nationalists have been secured, its better to wage a non-violent campaign for reunification.

I'd consider it an entirely dubious election based on the destination of those who were to be elected.

I consider it to be occupied, but as rights for nationalists have been secured, its better to wage a non-violent campaign for reunification.

What rights did nationalists lack in 1918 that meant waging a violent campaign was the better option?

What rights did nationalists lack in 1918 that meant waging a violent campaign was the better option?

There was no way out of the Empire except via armed struggle. With regards to NI, there's a guarantee that should a majority wish it there will be re-unification.

There was no way out of the Empire except via armed struggle. With regards to NI, there's a guarantee that should a majority wish it there will be re-unification.

Can you explain why armed struggle failed to remove Ireland from the empire and instead it was done peacefully in 1948-1949?

Can you explain why armed struggle failed to remove Ireland from the empire and instead it was done peacefully in 1948-1949?

We were effectively out post the war of independence and the interim period was just a question of solidifying and clarifying that position.

We were effectively out post the war of independence and the interim period was just a question of solidifying and clarifying that position.

Can you explain then why the British monarch remained head of state from 1922 onwards?

• Advertisement

Can you explain then why the British monarch remained head of state from 1922 onwards?

Fairly irrelevant, given that the solidification of the state as entirely independent continued on uninterrupted.

Is there a point to all this?

Fairly irrelevant, given that the solidification of the state as entirely independent continued on uninterrupted.

Is there a point to all this?

Was it irrelevant to the republicans who saw the oath to the British monarch as unacceptable and fought a civil war over it?

Was it irrelevant to the republicans who saw the oath to the British monarch as unacceptableand fought a civil war over it?

Not to those republicans specifically. But they lost the civil war, so it didn't stop the state's progression towards complete independence as described by Nodin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

FTA69 wrote: »

'Ridiculous' 'morally justified' 'resistance' 'defeated and colonised nation' etc

Merely tendentious opinions that I happen to disagree with. Can you handle that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Prior to 1800, Ireland was a single, independent, sovereign Kingdom (as opposed to the modern sense of nation).

It was ruled by the King of Ireland. He was also the Duke/Prince of the Duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg (aka Hanover), King of Great Britain plus ruled half a dozen other Kingdoms or Principalities.

It is an important point to remember though that Kingdoms were very much the personal properties of their monarchs back then. They ruled directly and made day-to-day decisions or via personally appointed and directed Ministers - the phrase "His Majesty's Government" had the emphasis on the first part of the phrase back then!

As such all the talk of "occupation" on this thread is a bit silly since no one at the time would have suggested a King was "occupying" his own Kingdom.

Indeed, it is noticeable that no one suggests though that Ireland was "occupied" by those nasty Brunswick-Lüneburgers. :-)

View wrote: »
    Prior to 1800, Ireland was a single, independent, sovereign Kingdom (as opposed to the modern sense of nation).

It was ruled by the King of Ireland.......

Actually no. Practically speaking the King didn't rule anything. He was merely a figurehead by the 18th century. It was the British parliament in which the power of governance resided. In 1720, the British parliament passed what was known as the 'Sixth of George I Act' allowing it to pass legislation in Ireland without the agreement of the Irish parliament. In reality Ireland had no say over it's own affairs. It was repealed in 1782 (Poyning's Law continued in modified form) with the advent of 'Grattans parliament', which itself vanished in 1800.

• Advertisement

View wrote: »
    I am fully aware of that.

Agreed.

I am aware of both.

A poor electoral system, such as FPTP, does not turn a minority of the popular vote cast into a "Clear majority" in favour of a proposition though (particularly with a significant %age of the adult population still disenfranchised at the time).

Nor indeed does the existence of uncontested seats, particularly when those seats were in areas of the country where contemporary reports at the time (before the election) indicated the state had already lost control of (or to use the language of the day "where the King's writ no longer runs").

Very exciting but no one was suggesting it constituted a mandate for GB to leave the UK, were they? :-)

Rather it was an election to elect MPs to Parliament (and, hence, to ensure a government was elected by MPs from the ranks of Parliament).

Exactly as it was in Ireland since it was the same election held on the same day.

I am afraid you are undermining your own case if you are attempting to claim securing a majority of seats in a general election under a poor electoral system has the same validity as securing a majority in a referendum.

Hence the situation is that SF did not secure a majority of votes cast in either the general election or in a subsequent referendum, so they had no "clear majority" - all of which shows them acting without care or consideration for the views of others on the island at a time when a fairly fundamental constitutional issue was up for decision.

My dear confused friend:

You say:

"A poor electoral system, such as FPTP, does not turn a minority of the popular vote cast into a "Clear majority" in favour of a proposition though (particularly with a significant %age of the adult population still disenfranchised at the time)."

Firstly, perhaps you can point out where I ever used the term "Clear majority" in relation to the 1918 GE??

It seems to be a favourite term of yours.

Where, except in you fevered mind, did I claim that the Electoral System turned anything into anything except seats won.

I see you there mentioning "proposition" again.

What are you talking about, this was an Election.

I thought you said you were aware of that??

In your post, which I was replying to, this one:
    Originally Posted by View View Post
    There were 1,015,515 votes cast in that election. There were more than the above 3 parties who contested the election.

476,087 (not 497,107) voted for Sinn Fein.

Both figures (for SF) are a MINORITY of the votes cast. So, no majority, clear or otherwise from the electorate for them.

"End of" to quote yourself.

you seemed to indicate that by simply counting the numbers of votes cast, and seeing that SF only got a minority of those votes, it somehow invalidates the result, whereby they actually won the vast majority of Irish seats.

I pointed out to you that this was an Election, not a Plebiscite, and the results were attained under the prevailing Electoral System, and therefore the Landslide result for SF was explainable and understandable, poor system or not, it was the system.

Then you move on to make an allegation that some seats were lost, to the state??, due to intimidation, which you produce absolutely no evidence of, except to say there were undefined areas where the "kings writ no longer ran". :eek:

It is actually difficult to make out what exactly your point is.

My reference to the overall UK results, was, of course, for illustrative purposes, as you don't seem to understand how Elections work .

My point was, that just as in Ireland, Coalition Parties got a majority of seats in Parliament, even though they only received a minority of the votes cast, which is what seemed to be your concern regarding the Irish results.

As for the rest of your post, it is simply incoherent rubbish, such as this:

"I am afraid you are undermining your own case if you are attempting to claim securing a majority of seats in a general election under a poor electoral system has the same validity as securing a majority in a referendum."

Now, please show where in my post, I made any such case or claim??

I am not responsible for your chronic lack of education regarding the Electoral process, and how it works, but it is not right to knowingly ascribe something to someone which you must surely know to be untrue??

But maybe not, perhaps you feel it's OK.

Was it irrelevant to the republicans who saw the oath to the British monarch as unacceptable and fought a civil war over it?

Evidently not, given the fighting. It's easy to judge via hindsight, however.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

My dear confused friend...

Where, except in you fevered mind...
    MOD: Let's all avoid making "too personal" comments such as these, and rather focus on posting meaningful contributions to the thread topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

The Easter Rising grow out of the militarization of Irish nationalism under Redmond et al.
    It is hard to see how militant republicanism could have got such oxygen unless it had been preceded by the militant bellicose nationalism of Redmond who threw himself behind the Irish Volunteers during the Home Rule Crisis.
    Redmond was prepared to use this armed paramilitary force as leverage with the British government if Home Rule was not passed just as the Unionists were prepared to resist Home Rule with force using the UVF.
    Pearse and his followers were simply doing what Redmond would have done if Home Rule had been shelved without World War I.
    The Irish Volunteers quite were prepared to seize control of Dublin prior in the event of a civil war with the Unionists.

Evidently not, given the fighting. It's easy to judge via hindsight, however.

So then it would be accurate to say that in the view of the militant groups of the time, violence did not succeed in taking Ireland out of the Empire and the British monarchy remained head of state?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement