Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

clearance for parked cars on busy roads

• 11-09-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

if the obstruction is on my side on a busy road, oncoming traffic is not crossing the middle line but on their usual position , traffic behind me is busy as well, what would be the appropriate approach, stop until i can drive slightly on the middle of the road to give clearance for parked cars or just crawl in? if im going uphill on major road with obstruction on my side as well with oncoming traffic would it be better for me to crawl in if there's oncoming traffic or do i need to stop as well. not really used on driving on narrow roads with parked cars, i hope someone could enlighten me with this. i was told in residential area it's not necessary to signal to overtake parked cars but in major road do i need to signal?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vauraine

Having recently taken lessons, I'm pretty sure that you should approach the obstruction at a crawl. My instructor basically told me that I should never go over 40kmph passing vehicles, but 40 is provided I can have 4 foot between me and any other vehicle, dropping by 10km for every 1 foot, so if there's parked cars and oncoming traffic, you'd have to gauge the space available for you, and if its a foot, 10kmph, 2 foot is 20kmph and so on.

Also, I'm fairly certain you signal if there is traffic behind you to indicate what you intend to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Wait and when its clear take your road. At least a door width and if that takes you onto the other side then so be it.

Signal your intentions before you stop. Never heard of this not indicating if its a resenditial area thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vauraine

If you can fit the car through the space, it's considered holding up traffic to wait until the road is clear. Similarly, if you are the oncoming traffic you should move to the left to allow traffic to flow. You just have to move at snails pace when cars are tight together.

You always signal to move in to stop and move out. However, if there is no traffic behind you, you don't have to indicate to overtake parked cars. If there is someone, indicate.

This is right for a test situation.

Advertisement