Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying for a full licence

• 11-09-2013 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I passed my driving test today, (yay!) but I'm wondering does anyone know can you just post the form and stuff to your local motor tax office or do you need to go down in person? Also, how long does it usually take? Is it okay to drive before you receive it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cheesypuffs

sqooka wrote: »
    I passed my driving test today, (yay!) but I'm wondering does anyone know can you just post the form and stuff to your local motor tax office or do you need to go down in person? Also, how long does it usually take? Is it okay to drive before you receive it?
    Dagnammit, just came on to ask the very same question and scrolled down to find....
    Nothing.
    Come on folks, put us out of our misery (can't get off work to do it in person) please.
    Don't think you can drive unaccompanied tho, OP

Dagnammit, just came on to ask the very same question and scrolled down to find....
    Nothing.
    Come on folks, put us out of our misery (can't get off work to do it in person) please.
    It can be posted I know, just how long does it take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nothing.

I'm almost sure you can as you'll have your cert.
    It can be posted I know, just how long does it take?

Weeks.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm almost sure you can as you'll have your cert.

Weeks.

Thanks, only prob is, you won't have your cert if you send it by post, and you won't have your provisional either, so no driving at all while you're waiting I guess. Think that's why most folk do it in person, cos you get a temp license..

Thanks, only prob is, you won't have your cert if you send it by post, and you won't have your provisional either, so no driving at all while you're waiting I guess. Think that's why most folk do it in person, cos you get a temp license..

Hm, yeah that would make sense. I can ask my instructor later as I'm going for a pre-test and get back to ya if I remember!

• Advertisement

Hm, yeah that would make sense. I can ask my instructor later as I'm going for a pre-test and get back to ya if I remember!

Thankee kindly

Yon URL says 3-4 week wait..

http://www.dublincity.ie/roadsandtraffic/drivinglicences/Pages/DrivingLicences.aspx

Think I'll ask work if I can leave early...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

You can post it no problem. Each of the tax offices have a different backlog. There is no such thing as a temporary license cheesypuffs.

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    You can post it no problem. Each of the tax offices have a different backlog. There is no such thing as a temporary license cheesypuffs.
    I'll admit I didn't have anything other than a vague memory of a temp license, did they not give them with the old paper license?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

Thanks guys, does anyone know if you go in person is it faster? I had heard before that it is technically illegal to drive while waiting as you don't have a license, but that if you show something the tax office give you to show you have actually passed while a guard could decide to charge you, you'd be exceptionally unlucky to meet one who actually would. Have that last part on good authority from a guard himself, but that is actually just what one individual said and is definitely not a guarantee. Unfortunately for me I've no choice but to risk it as I need to drive to work. God I just want my full licence SO badly, it's taken me 18 months to get this far!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

I'll admit I didn't have anything other than a vague memory of a temp license, did they not give them with the old paper license?

They give you a receipt you can drive on. I had my full licence in hand 3 days after my test, 3 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭SteM

Took about 4 weeks when I got mine up in the motor tax office in Dublin back in January. Took 3 weeks when my wife got hers from the same place in April.

If you go in person you a yellow receipt that you can drive with, although I was advised not to use motorways until I got my full license.

Thankee kindly

>.<

I forgot. :(

Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sqooka

Last question, does anyone know if you post in the application will the tax office post you out a receipt in the mean time or do you only get that if you go in person?

>.<

I forgot. :(

Sorry!

No worries, did you pass your pre-test?

It turned more in to a driving lesson. The driving itself is fine, I just need to be more fluid and more consistent with my observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭p2p2p

Ilovelucy wrote: »

Correct, it's only a receipt.
    To answer some of the other questions the current waiting time is 2-3 weeks.

You're not supposed to drive unaccompanied OR on motorways until you have your full license in your hand but if it's in the post and you went in in person, and therefore have a receipt, just tell the guards you're getting it renewed and they're not going to say anything to you. (They might ask that you produce it within 10 days at your local cop shop and hopefully you'll have it at that stage.)

It is no longer faster in person as they don't issue licenses over the counter anymore, all arrive by post when they arrive by post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

It turned more in to a driving lesson. The driving itself is fine, I just need to be more fluid and more consistent with my observation.

Observation during the driving test has to be one of the best neck exercises ever. I've talked to a few people who told me of how they spent more time concentrating on actually looking at mirrors, blind spots and their surroundings than actually comprehending on what they saw:pac: I swear my neck is way looser and doesn't crack half as much as it did before my pretest and test :D.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I passed my test yesterday and apologies if this is a really dumb question but.... do I just send the certificate of competency to the tax office? Or is there a form to fill out, like the one to get the provisional, and where do I get such a form?

Everyone else in my house has their full license but nobody seems to remember how they got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

You can download form D401 on rsa website then complete and return with your cert, 2 signed photos and your learner permit together with any additional documentation they require. It's on the form what exactly you need to include. Send to your local motor tax office with the fee. There are backlogs in most of the MTOs so you may have to wait for it to be returned to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just a couple of questions to add to this thread (I passed my test yesterday! :)):

• If you post in the application form and other documents to your local motor office, how do you pay the fee? Cheque/postal order?
    • On the "How to apply for the new licence" on the RSA.ie website, it is stated: "The Motor Tax Offices will continue to handle all applications until September 2013." What happens after September 2013? :confused: I can't find anymore info on this.

EDIT: Found out this info....
    Your driving licence fee is payable as a Bank Draft, cheque, Postal or Money Order for postal applications – made payable to ‘insert relevant county Motor Tax Office’. For applications submitted in person at our office, you may also pay by cash or by completing a Credit Card Authorisation Form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

I think they were processing the applications themselves up until now (or soon) but they will no longer be doing that as it has been licensed out to a 3rd party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I think they were processing the applications themselves up until now (or soon) but they will no longer be doing that as it has been licensed out to a 3rd party.

Any idea of when this will happen? If I go in tomorrow will they be accepting it? I can't find anything online about where else I should go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Any idea of when this will happen? If I go in tomorrow will they be accepting it? I can't find anything online about where else I should go...

I'm pretty sure you still go through the tax office, but they send it on from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

it's now the end of October that they're changing over. Asked in the office and they said 4-5 week wait time at the moment :eek:

4 weeks wait at least in Galway too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

4 weeks wait at least in Galway too

yeah I applied last Friday in Galway and they told me that the license should arrive in the post in 3-4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ciarashauna

I was told in tax office in Drogheda it would be six weeks wait but it came in about two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'd imagine they're giving "worst case scenario" times to cover themselves, which is fair enough. Better to promise little, deliver better :)

I'm surprised there hasn't been more uproar about the delays in general though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I was told 7-8 weeks. I send mine off in the post so don't have a receipt, does that mean I can't drive until the pink license arrives?

I was told in tax office in Drogheda it would be six weeks wait but it came in about two weeks.

They told me last week that I'd be waiting about 8-10 weeks. Hopefully I'll be with you in the two weeks bracket. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭ChainWhip

5 week wait in the Ballymun office, as of yesterday.

Advertisement