Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student ticket for a friend?

Options
  • 02-07-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me is it possible to purchase two train tickets online at the student rate, i am a student but my friend who is travelling with me is not a student as i will be purchasing the tickets on my debit card?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

tattoo86 wrote: »
    Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me is it possible to purchase two train tickets online at the student rate, i am a student but my friend who is travelling with me is not a student as i will be purchasing the tickets on my debit card?

Thanks.

It is however if you meet ticket staff or RPU they will likely ask for student ID's and if you can't produce them for both you will be fined. You can buy them by walking up to TMV's at the station as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tattoo86

Thanks Jamie that's what i was wondering was did we both need student id's, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

tattoo86 wrote: »

Thanks.

Nope, it would have to be in 2 transactions with 2 different student cards. If you buy a student ticket for your friend then you would be liable for a fine if caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭XrayGolf

It is possible to buy a Student ticket online and as pointed out above at the TVMs in the station.

The chances of you being asked for a student ID are highly likely if your ticket is checked by a IR staff member or the RPU, in which case you'll either have to pay the difference between the student fare and a Adult Open Return (which will be at the booking office rate) or you'll be fined €100 plus the difference between the two tickets.

I would book a adult ticket at the online rate and avoid the hassle in the long run.

XrayGolf wrote: »
    It is possible to buy a Student ticket online and as pointed out above at the TVMs in the station.

The chances of you being asked for a student ID are highly likely if your ticket is checked by a IR staff member or the RPU, in which case you'll either have to pay the difference between the student fare and a Adult Open Return (which will be at the booking office rate) or you'll be fined €100 plus the difference between the two tickets.

I would book a adult ticket at the online rate and avoid the hassle in the long run.

He will be fined, there wont be any making up the difference.

• Advertisement

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    He will be fined, there wont be any making up the difference.

Not necessarily, if for example, s/he were stopped by a ticket checker at the barrier before boarding the train, then chances are s/he will be told to go to the booking office and pay the difference rather than be issued a fine.

No, he will be told to get the right ticket. Buying a student ticket for a non student is fraud.

No, he will be told to get the right ticket. Buying a student ticket for a non student is fraud.

Which will involve going to the booking office and getting a excess ticket for the difference between an student and an adult ticket, rather than purchasing a whole new ticket.

I agree, buying a ticket you're not entitled to is fraud, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Which will involve going to the booking office and getting a excess ticket for the difference between an student and an adult ticket, rather than purchasing a whole new ticket.

You are aware RPU operate barriers at certain stations as well and therefore can issue a fine....

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You are aware RPU operate barriers at certain stations as well and therefore can issue a fine....

I am aware, however my point still stands. If you go to the the ticket barrier with a student ticket and no ID before boarding the train you can be told to go to the booking office to make up the difference between fares rather than being fined or asked to buy a completely new ticket.

• Advertisement

No, you will have to buy a new ticket .

No, you will have to buy a new ticket .

Incorrect. I know from personal experience of forgetting my student ID, having a Student ticket booked and arriving at the train station without time to head back home to retrieve it. I was told to head to the booking office and there I paid the difference between the student and adult fare & had a excess ticket stapled to my student ticket. I did not have to buy a new ticket and the same experience has also happened to my friends on a number of occasions, so it was not a one off.

That's when you have a student card.

Advertisement