Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sound proof curtains

• 26-06-2015 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

I've recently moved into an apartment which is overlooking a busy road and the main bedroom has a very large window. The road is only busy during business hours but my partner works evenings so waking up at 7am is pretty annoying for her!

Currently there are no curtains hanging so we were thinking of buying some medium weight material and then stapling acoustic curtain fabric as a lining. Has anybody any experience of using this type of material? Does it work at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Home Focus have extra linings that can be clipped on the back of curtains. I got them for my curtains, they darken the room and are supposed to insulate and slightly soundproof. Worth having a look at them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Renting or owner?
    what floor are u on vis a vis the road
    any wall vents into the bedroom from road.
    check seals on the window part that opens

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Renting or owner?
    what floor are u on vis a vis the road
    any wall vents into the bedroom from road.
    check seals on the window part that opens

Renting, so there is no option of making structural changes. We only signed a 6 month lease which we're kind of glad about now! But 6 months is a long time to be kept awake by cars going by every morning...

We're on the first floor. The windows are those cheap white PCV double glazed windows. They are definitely not well sealed. When standing beside the window and opening and closing it, there seems to be minimal difference between it being opened or closed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Any draughts from the window? Perhaps talk to landlord to get a window repair guy to change the seals on the main one that keeps you awake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Any draughts from the window? Perhaps talk to landlord to get a window repair guy to change the seals on the main one that keeps you awake.

There is a a bit of a draught around the window. The maintenance guy came by the other day to fix a lock on the window and I spoke to him about it. He said the owners (they own the entire apartment block) will not go about making changes to one apartment or they'd have to change all of them... That's the attitude most renters are up against, and is the reason I left my previous place because the landlord would not install a vent in the room and the damp this created was terrible for my partner's asthma.

I was thinking about maybe getting some of this: http://www.buildtec.ie/acoustic-sealant
    I've also managed to get my hands on some heavy curtains which I'll be trying out at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Heavy curtains, with liner of blackout curtains (cheap in Arnotts basement), should do a good job of it. Also getting used to it. It's amazing how something that disturbs you at first can just recede into the background when you get used to it, and stop getting annoyed about it!

Advertisement