Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano Claris Shifters on Sora Derailleur?

Options
  • 04-12-2014 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Can you answer me this please great Gods of bike know how. Will Claris Shifters work on Sora Derailleurs if the gear counts match? Thinking of converting a flat bar bike to drops. I know I will need to replace the cables but I don't want to have to change chain rings, derailleurs and cassettes. I know I might have to change the stem length for more comfortable fit.
    Thanking you in advance of your advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

They will.

You just need to match the cassette - it must be 8 speed for Claris (afaik).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

Can you answer me this please great Gods of bike know how. Will Claris Shifters work on Sora Derailleurs if the gear counts match? Thinking of converting a flat bar bike to drops. I know I will need to replace the cables but I don't want to have to change chain rings, derailleurs and cassettes. I know I might have to change the stem length for more comfortable fit.
    Thanking you in advance of your advice.

Sora 9 speed
    Claris 8

Spacing the same so if have a 9 speed cassette that's fine - HOWEVER the shifters will only allow you to use 8 of theo cogs

Simple answer is that mechanically it will work

Spacing the same so if have a 9 speed cassette that's fine - HOWEVER the shifters will only allow you to use 8 of theo cogs

I beg to differ.

Both 8sp and 9sp cassettes have the same total width, ergo spacing between individual cogs is narrower on 9sp.

Therefore if you use 8sp shifter on 9sp casette, it will not shift well at all.

(tried this long time ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

The bike is currently 8 speed at the rear and three speed up front. I am looking at Claris 8 and 3 leavers. I am assuming that there will be a bit of finessing with the upper and lower limits of the derailleur movements, but I am assuming (could be wrong) that that should be fine?

It should install just fine then, most likely all you will have to adjust is the cable tension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Thanks all. Bullet bit. Now to measure my shoulders to see if I need a 42 or a 44cm Handle Bar......... This will be so much fun.

Advertisement