Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buckled wheel or not

• 02-12-2014 3:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

I don't know if I have a buckle in my wheel rim or not.

The rim does not rub off the brakes or does not look like it has an obvious buckle from the back.

What I can say is that when I cycle it, it does not feel smooth, when I cycle slowly I can feel a slight bounce up and down (north to south) as the wheel turns....so I cycle on a dead falt surface and yet I get a bounce up and down.........like as if the axle was acting up and not truly straight, if you know what I mean

I think ive made a b@lls of explaining that :)

does this sound like a buckle ? or is is something else

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

You might have a hop - the rim is not circular.

Spin the wheel and watch the rim closely where it passes the brake shoe. Look out for up and down or side to side motion. Add some tension to the brake cable to bring the shoes nearer the rim while you look - if it helps.

You may also have a bulge or some other deform in the tyre so take a close look at it too.

Its best to have the bike in a stand or upside down (I know that's against the rules ;) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

crosstownk wrote: »
    You might have a hop - the rim is not circular.

Spin the wheel and watch the rim closely where it passes the brake shoe. Look out for up and down or side to side motion. Add some tension to the brake cable to bring the shoes nearer the rim while you look - if it helps.

You may also have a bulge or some other deform in the tyre so take a close look at it too.

Its best to have the bike in a stand or upside down (I know that's against the rules ;) )

Thanks for that.

So a buckle seems to be when you look at rim from behind and its not straight.

Whereas the thing I might have, the hop, is kinda looking at the wheel from the side and its not a perfect circle.

Is fixing a hop or a bulge even possible in a LBS ?
    If so, roughly how much would it cost ?

I know to fix a buckle is roughly between 10 and 15 euro. but don't even know if fixing a hop/bulge is possible and the cost associate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Fixing a buckle or a hop in a wheel is the same process ('truing' the wheel). I would think it unlikely that a wheel would acquire a hop without also developing a buckle so I would suspect a bulge in the tyre.

A bulge in the tyre is fixed by replacing the tyre before it blows out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Your tyre may well just need re seating on the rim.
    It may be slightly proud of the rim at one point.
    Again spin the wheel .. This time keeping an eye on the above, there's usually a line on the sidewall of the tyre you can eye up respective if the rim.
    If it's the case let air out and try square it up.. Pump softly recheck before bringing it up to pressure
    Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Your tyre may well just need re seating on the rim.
    It may be slightly proud of the rim at one point.
    Again spin the wheel .. This time keeping an eye on the above, there's usually a line on the sidewall of the tyre you can eye up respective if the rim.
    If it's the case let air out and try square it up.. Pump softly recheck before bringing it up to pressure
    Marty.

And also make sure the valve is pushed inside the tyre rim....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

WillyFXP wrote: »
    And also make sure the valve is pushed inside the tyre rim....

how do you mean ?

the value normally protrudes out of the rim so as to allow pumping etc

pardon my stupidity if I'm missing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If the wheel has a high spot then it can be trued by tensioning/loosening the spokes on the opposite side to where the high spot/hop is. If it's very bad no amount of adjusting of spokes will remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

how do you mean ?

the value normally protrudes out of the rim so as to allow pumping etc

pardon my stupidity if I'm missing something.

See the image below (Click image for original thread).
    152023987.KM5LA0OD.valve.jpg

Advertisement