Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Charges on Private Group Water Scheme

• 10-09-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hoping someone will be able to clarify the following.

I know Irish Water doesn't charge if you are a member of a private group water scheme AND have a septic tank. I fall into this category ( apparently so , because the co. council says I am a member of a scheme even though we signed it over to them a number of years ago). Anyway, my dilemma is this, we paid to be connected originally ( 10 years ago) and thats it. There is no yearly charge. Will the staus quo remain or will I be charged going forward?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 3rdforum

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

When you fill the form in, you will discover your status. As far as I can see, if you are not on the mains water, or water treatment, then you will not have to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭omicron

There are private group water schemes with public water supply, i.e. the group water scheme owns the pipes but doesn't supply the water.

Farmers etc paying commercially for water traditionally paid a reduced rate on these schemes but it is not yet clear if this will be the case with Irish Water also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭ps200306

3rdforum wrote: »

I know Irish Water doesn't charge if you are a member of a private group water scheme AND have a septic tank. I fall into this category ( apparently so , because the co. council says I am a member of a scheme even though we signed it over to them a number of years ago). Anyway, my dilemma is this, we paid to be connected originally ( 10 years ago) and thats it. There is no yearly charge. Will the staus quo remain or will I be charged going forward?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat. Built a house ten years ago, got charged by the local authority for connection to a group water scheme, but no bills ever since. Also have septic tank. Am I an Irish water customer or not?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You could always ring them and ask. I found them very helpful on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you dealt with the co.council (for connection ect ) then you're probably an Irish water customer, maybe if the pipes are privately owned there'll have to be an some arrangement made.
    ( maybe they'll just bill the scheme for the water and ye can pay / or not pay the scheme ? )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Best bet is to check with Local Authority. I had also thought we were still part of a Group Water Scheme but after enquiring I find that we're on public after all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

3rdforum wrote: »

Thanks

I did a bit of work for IW earlier this year and my understanding was if the group scheme is/was handed over to the LA then it will fall under the IW remit. I heard some talk of either all the individual homes either getting new meters or perhaps one bulk meter put on access to scheme and then each house pays a dividend of the amount owed. Never really found out what was eventually decided. On the contrary it was rumoured that if a group scheme did NOT sign over and undertook its own repairs, costs etc etc well then these schemes were to stay independent, for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

I am in the same boat but our group water scheme is still privately owned.

My understanding however is, if the scheme is handed back to the local authority which eventually it probably will then I would be liable for the charge.

What is annoying is, should I not be entitled to a refund of monies payed into the scheme if it is handed over the Irish Water?

It hardly seems fair that a group of people pay into a scheme get EU funding to give an area clean running water due to an incompetent government who fail rural communities, only to jump on a bandwaggon once the water is in to charge for it after the bulk of the work and cost has been completed.

Or at least some of this cost should be offset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

OP, our group scheme formed a co-op this year and we all pay based on usage (what a novel idea :P)
    I believe the scheme used to recieve a subvention from the county council which is no longer the case hence the co-op.

• Advertisement
Advertisement