Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to get on the road?

• 21-09-2013 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering could anyone chime in with advice in relation to getting on the road for the first time.

I'm 23 and recently received my learners permit and want to get driving on the road and practice my full licence asap.

Do I:

1. Get insured on my parents car while taking driving lessons. (€520 year quote). Its a 08 Avensis.

2. Buy my own car and get insured on it. (preferably 1 litre) and take lessons as I go.

I'm aware option 2 will work out a lot more expensive but I have budgeted it and the fact it will be my own and will be able to use as I please is a big plus.

Any else had a simliar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

donnyb28 wrote: »

2. Buy my own car and get insured on it. (preferably 1 litre) and take lessons as I go.

I'm aware option 2 will work out a lot more expensive but I have budgeted it and the fact it will be my own and will be able to use as I please is a big plus.

But you can't use it on your own...

My situation is that I bought a cheap car for myself. I don't live at home. I need a licensed driver to sit with me. I got out about 30 times in a year including my lessons!! My insurance was €525. Car just sitting there not being used because I am so reliant on people to give me time to drive with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

If you can afford your own car, you may as well. There is far more scope for practice with family and friends this way.
    One thing that may hold you back is that you won't be able to sit a driving test until you have held your learner permit for six months. And you can't legally drive on your own until then.

I practiced in my brothers car a couple of times after getting a few lessons. I never got put on the insurance or anything, and didn't venture onto the main roads (stayed in an empty retail park) but even though I was getting lessons and spending an hour or two in my brothers car two or three times a week, I don't think I really noticed any real improvement in my driving until I got my own car.

My instructor was good at showing and teaching me things, but as I wasn't really able to practice as much as I'd have liked outside of my lessons, a lot of it was lost and I'd end up having to learn the same thing repeatedly.

Having my own car meant I could go out when I pleased and practice without anyone getting annoyed at me or such (also, because it was my own car, I didn't feel as bad about cutting out, stalling, etc. and knew that if I damaged it by hitting into anything, it'd be my own car I'm ruining and not someone else's).

I should point out though that I'm one of those people who thinks the 'must have an accompanied driver' law is utter tripe and I never really acknowledged it. L plates I agree with, but a mandatory passenger is a waste and only hinders the learning experience, in my opinion.

So I drove around my town a lot (mostly at night time when it's pretty much empty). Got used to the size of the car, handling, clutch, etc. (and actually moved onto my second car about 2-3 months later).

I then got more lessons and because I could do a lesson and then spend an unlimited amount of time in my own car, my lessons start to stick a bit better.

Ultimately all in all I ended up passing the test on my first go (more to do with my instructor than me though, admittedly) but I don't think I'd ever have been confident enough to go for it had I not been driving on my own beforehand, though. It was of massive benefit to me, I think (I also have a friend who is a learner, and we would often take little spins around the place together, and practice some of the test stuff together (turnabout, reverse around corner, etc.) which was helpful, too.

That said, much as I find the accompanied driver law to be nonsense, I was never under the illusion that I wasn't breaking it. If stopped by the Gardaí and done for it I'd hold my hands up and say 'you got me'. No point in fighting it: If you're going to do it then you have to be willing to take the consequence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

But you can't use it on your own...

My situation is that I bought a cheap car for myself. I don't live at home. I need a licensed driver to sit with me. I got out about 30 times in a year including my lessons!! My insurance was €525. Car just sitting there not being used because I am so reliant on people to give me time to drive with me.
    How did you get insurance that cheap on a learners permit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How did you get insurance that cheap on a learners permit?

It's third pary. Comprehensive was €620. Female, 29, 2nd year out, good area, very low mileage per year. That reduce it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

It's third pary. Comprehensive was €620. Female, 29, 2nd year out, good area, very low mileage per year. That reduce it?

Who is that insurance with ? I saw barely any difference in my second year because I still had provisional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Who is that insurance with ? I saw barely any difference in my second year because I still had provisional

My wife is in her thirties in more or less same situation and best we could get was 900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I would say definitely get your own car, as you say something cheap; for me, I have much more comfortable learning to drive in my own car that is worth 2k than I would be in my OH's that is worth about 10k. Just a confidence thing.
    I'm not very strict on having someone on with me at all times but if you are, it's as simple as offering to drive your folks or siblings to the shop etc. My other reason for getting my own car was that my OH's car is away with him to work all day, and I don't live near my parents.

Advertisement