Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ti Frame - recommend

• 22-07-2014 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good value Ti frame.

I have a lot of spare components - enough for a full bike build.
    I don't need a fork, just a decent frame.

Want a standard geometry road frame in Titanium.
    Will be used for leisure/racing/commuting.
    Only issue is price - I don't want to spend stupid money.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

do you not already have a ti frame?

i know idleater recently purchased an enigma and is happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The July(?) issue of Cycling Plus has a review of six Titanium bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I partly think this is a contrarian ruse to give yourself ammunition to shoot down the "magic carpet" Ti ride quality myth.

Honestly though, I would try and find something with a sloping TT and 27.2mm seatpost. That will give you maximum ride quality which you can then attribute to the frame material.

Enigma are fairly good value, maybe they have something in the sale area.

If only you were taller you could buy this...

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXTIPRO/planet-x-ti-pro-road-frame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I have been looking too, Enigma certainly look good but their frames off the rack are made in the Far East and imported and so for me this goes against one of the core reasons for looking at small manufacturer.
    I do like Van Nicholas, a lad in the club rides one and he can go really really fast on it!
    Ti does look lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I do have a Ti frame.
    I am looking at all my spares and can build another bike.
    I have 3 bike in two locations but am looking at another one. The two other bikes would then be sold/used as beater bikes/permanent turbo bikes.

No contrarianism here Lumen. I like classic frames. Ti looks nice and is light enough. Magic carpet - meh.
    I think if you get appropriate geometry then that is more than half the battle.

In germs of geometry - should be be in a 53.5 top tube with 90mm stem.
    But 52 with 90mm stem works better for me. I like been very crouched (co to speak) on a bike. Smaller frame size allows for less upright/more tucked position and I find this comfortable on short commutes and long rides.

Cost
    I can use BTW again so that is a consideration. I could get a decent BTW bike for about 1k net if I bung in 500 quid myself.

So on the basis that I have more than enough parts, if I could buy a frame a Ti frame for sub €1250 then I would ignore btw and just do that.

I have a Van Nic Mistral, just want to see what else is there for that price.
    There are two VanNic frames at my price point already. So just want to see other options.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No idea how they compare, but SPA have Ti frames from £750. Been eyeing up the SPA Ti Audax for some time myself.

Advertisement