Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two Day 2014

• 18-07-2014 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

The Stafford Wholesale Wexford Two Day 2014 returns this year, for august 23rd and 24th. 2014 is the second year of running the event, hosted by Wexford Wheelers, and once again, kindly supported by Stafford Wholesale Wexford.

2013 was our first year of the event, returning after an absence of almost 21 years.

This year, the Race categories remain the same, A1, A2/A3/Junior and A4.
    In addition, this year the race hosts the final round of the National Womens League race series on sunday, using stage 3 of the two day event.

The exceptionally popular 'Quarry Hills' circuit returns, however this year, the 'Quarry Hills' circuit becomes stage 1. We received much positive and enthusiastic feedback on the 'Quarry Hills' circuit, both from riders and CI commissaires.

Day 1 Stage 1 is again set in Camaross Hall County Wexford, and set to roll at midday on Saturday.

Stage 2 is a Time Trial, based close to Wexford Town and will run on Saturday evening. Stage 2 is a new route with a short flat distance. Stage 3 is also a new Route based upon the National Routes around Wexford Town, Enniscorthy and New Ross.

Timing this year is being handled by Alice Sherratt and Team, Frank Gibson.

The Event Website Link is:
    http://www.wexfordwheelers.com/index.php/stafford-wholesale-wexford-two-day/

or www.wexfordwheelers.com

Online registration:https://wexfordwheelers.primo-events.com/ps/event/StaffordWholesaleWexfordTwoDay20141

Thank You to Boards.ie for this publicity space.

Happy to help with queries here. My contact details are on the wexford wheelers website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Eoin_Morton

Looks class Michael! Won't be able make it this year. Love the idea of the tt in wexford town, savage idea. Promoting cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Looks like it's going to be another great race! However, would it not make sense to put the A2 riders in with the A1 race to get the numbers up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Great work Michael and Wexford Wheelers! I won't be able to make it down this year but absolutely loved it last year! Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

The vast majority of A2 races this year have been in with the A1s, no handicap. This is a welcome change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Route maps please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Jack Joll

Ah dont make stage 2 too short, the diesels need to be able to claw back time from the goats some how! Definetly down for this, looking forward to it, I'm even going to get my TT machine all shined up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I see in the Junior Tour, the TT had to be done on a road bike, would you not consider the same to eliminate advantages to certain riders based on equipment budget? makes it fairer all round imo.

Fair point, I'm sure there'd be no objections to the likes of that. I'll leave it at home so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

TT last year was mostly uphill, didn't see many (any?) on TT rigs

EDIT: ah... looks like route change this year, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭ericzeking

By the sounds of it it's a location in the town, which would indicate it's flat....no complaints here as last years TT was a sonofabeeetch... no TT bikes is also a nice idea, where would clip on bars fall?

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »
    By the sounds of it it's a location in the town, which would indicate it's flat....no complaints here as last years TT was a sonofabeeetch... no TT bikes is also a nice idea, where would clip on bars fall?

Personally I'd keep it to Standard Road Bike, no clips ons, keep it about the man, not the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I would imagine you should plan to bring your best gear, until Michael196 says otherwise. Even if everyone on here agrees not to bring TT bikes, there'll be plenty who will unless Michael196 makes a rule about it.

I would imagine you should plan to bring your best gear, until Michael196 says otherwise. Even if everyone on here agrees not to bring TT bikes, there'll be plenty who will unless Michael196 makes a rule about it.

Aye, my suggestion was that this be incorporated into the rules, as it was in the Junior Tour TT earlier this week. Even in a short TT the depth of ones pockets can drastically skew the results of a race such as this, rather than the power in ones legs and engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Jack Joll wrote: »
    Fair point, I'm sure there'd be no objections to the likes of that. I'll leave it at home so.

Objection here! then us triathletes dont have our day in the sun :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

TT bikes are fair game, where do you stop with a money argument, zipps, carbon, skinsuits, there's loads of advantages lots of riders have everywhere, plenty TT very well on a road bike, and plenty have an awful and weak position on a TT bike. TT's in stage races here so so small that a ban seems a bit much? Besides what excuse are we supposed to have for an extra bike in the house??

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye, my suggestion was that this be incorporated into the rules, as it was in the Junior Tour TT earlier this week. Even in a short TT the depth of ones pockets can drastically skew the results of a race such as this, rather than the power in ones legs and engine.

our club league impose such a ban for the tt leg. Keeps it much fairer IMO, but that could be just cause i don't have a tt.....

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Races like the juinor tour, ras na mban etc. ban TT bikes (and indeed, any TT equipment), but that's to attract foreign squads and ensure they don't suffer a disadvantage by not being able to ferry over additional bikes. I don't see this race as being in the same situation. I don't have a TT bike, but if I did I'd want to be bringing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I see in the Junior Tour, the TT had to be done on a road bike, would you not consider the same to eliminate advantages to certain riders based on equipment budget? makes it fairer all round imo.

I'd imagine the reason it's standard road bikes in junior tour is because of logistics for international riders?!

All TT equipment not allowed in a TT?! Or is only the tt stuff you don't have?

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Races like the juinor tour, ras na mban etc. ban TT bikes (and indeed, any TT equipment), but that's to attract foreign squads and ensure they don't suffer a disadvantage by not being able to ferry over additional bikes. I don't see this race as being in the same situation. I don't have a TT bike, but if I did I'd want to be bringing it.

I disagree, A3/4 race shouldn't be decided by who has the deepest pockets. A full TT rig will confer a good time gap for the same power output over even a short TT. Very unlikely anyone TTing on a road bike has any chance of winning the overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

I disagree, A3/4 race shouldn't be decided by who has the deepest pockets. A full TT rig will confer a good time gap for the same power output over even a short TT. Very unlikely anyone TTing on a road bike has any chance of winning the overall.
    The TTs in stage races tend to be short as a means of limiting the impact of the equipment. The time gaps are small. A successful breakaway will do plenty of damage to the GC.

• Advertisement

I've got a 10 kilo bike for the road stages, I demand that sub 10 kilo should not be permitted in the road stages!

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    I've got a 10 kilo bike for the road stages, I demand that sub 10 kilo should not be permitted in the road stages!

The diff between road bikes only makes a negligible difference on a road stage, the diff a full TT rig makes is substantial even on a short TT. But hey if spending money is the only way people can win, why not eh?

Also in the TT you shouldn't be below 45deg to the perpendicular, to reduce the likelihood that you might be gain added seconds by lying sprawled out on the handlebars. Now look what I started... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

The diff between road bikes makes a relatively negligible difference on a road stage, the diff a full TT rig makes is substantial even on a short TT. But hey if spending money is the only way people can win, why not eh?

An aero carbon road bike vs a steel road bike?

I know what you are saying though and kind of agree - but does any A4 go out and buy a TT bike specifically for these races?

I'd have no problem though if they said road bikes only, no aero bars or TT bikes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Races like the juinor tour, ras na mban etc. ban TT bikes (and indeed, any TT equipment), but that's to attract foreign squads and ensure they don't suffer a disadvantage by not being able to ferry over additional bikes.

This is exactly the reason alright. You see the same thing happening in some Pro Tour races, such as the early season ones in Gulf States.

The diff between road bikes only makes a negligible difference on a road stage, the diff a full TT rig makes is substantial even on a short TT. But hey if spending money is the only way people can win, why not eh?

Oh right, everything else is equal apart from a TT bike which you don't happen to have.

Oh right, everything else is equal apart from a TT bike which you don't happen to have.

I am not racing in Wexford, I just think A3/4 racing, where not everyone is going to have a TT bike, should be about who's the strongest, not who's spent the most on a TT rig. Making people do the TT on their standard road bike is a great way of ensuring this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You're pretty much arguing for the UCI banning TT bikes outright. The Wexford Two Day is no different from any other race really.

You're pretty much arguing for the UCI banning TT bikes outright. The Wexford Two Day is no different from any other race really.

Not at all, Pro's have access to all the equipment, so noone is at a substantial disadvantage.

I am merely saying that at a low level of amateur racing it might not be a bad idea to have a level playing field, cycling is meant to be about the rider, not the bike, or maybe I have that concept wrong....

• Advertisement

It's never a level playing field. Some people will always have more money to spend on material than others. You're just moving the dial across a little more in terms of what is and isn't allowed.

There's fairly strict UCI regs already on TT frames to limit the advantage they provide. Most of the aerodynamic advantages conferred by a TT bike can be achieved by putting aerobars on a road bike and adjusting the position. That plus skinsuit plus pointy hat and you already have most of the aero gains you can get without breaking the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

From what I hear on the grapevine down in this part of the world a road bike might actually be more of an advantage for this particular TT , could be wrong though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

I totally agree with this. At the recent Tour of Omagh the 2nd Stage was a TT of just 4km. The top of the leaderboard after this stage was awash with guy's on full TT rigs and gear. A lot of them made about 25-35 seconds on equally strong riders just because of the equipment they could afford. If the TT at the Wexford 2 Day has a few turns on it, that in itself might level the playing field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 2Cando

Any ideas on the distance of the TT?

greenmat wrote: »
    I totally agree with this. At the recent Tour of Omagh the 2nd Stage was a TT of just 4km. The top of the leaderboard after this stage was awash with guy's on full TT rigs and gear. A lot of them made about 25-35 seconds on equally strong riders just because of the equipment they could afford. If the TT at the Wexford 2 Day has a few turns on it, that in itself might level the playing field.

In fairness A4 has a different slant because in many cases it will be riders first stage race and the % of rider with TT rig will be lower which offers a greater advantage. For the likes of Gorey, Charleville & Mayo and other stage races which feature short rolling/flat TT's I've never heard any calls for forbidding TT rig, most with designs on GC will have it anyways.

In this race a short TT won't have much impact on the overall as the stages are long and hard, 20 seconds gain in the TT will mean nothing when you miss the break on stage 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Juniors arent allowed race on tt bikes afaik, also means foreign junior riders need only bring one bike with them

• Advertisement

20 seconds gain in the TT will mean nothing when you miss the break on stage 3.

That's not true, it will mean the fella in the break who had the TT bike will take the overall. You'll have a number of people, say 10-15, who finish in the front group of each road stage, they will be seperated by the TT, and anyone who had a TT bike will finish ahead because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

What about the excellent cyclists who get a fancy dancy retul bike fit, should that be banned also?

That's not true, it will mean the fella in the break who had the TT bike will take the overall. You'll have a number of people, say 10-15, who finish in the front group of each road stage, they will be seperated by the TT, and anyone who had a TT bike will finish ahead because of it.

So we should ignore technology and advancement until its accessible for free to every man on the street?

Next time I'm on the golf course I'll demand my fellow competitors drop their 3 grand clubs and play with a branch from the ditch!

So we should ignore technology and advancement until its accessible for free to every man on the street?

Next time I'm on the golf course I'll demand my fellow competitors drop their 3 grand clubs and play with a branch from the ditch!

No I think you should just stick to golf ;)

No I think you should just stick to golf ;)

Part time job maybe, you'll get there:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭no1murray

We are making our club tt merckx rules. I dont mind not using my tt bike. It makes it fair. I have won it the last 3 years it might give someone else a chance. Some of the pro tour races at the start of the year were merckx rules but just for logistical reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

fondriest wrote: »
    From what I hear on the grapevine down in this part of the world a road bike might actually be more of an advantage for this particular TT , could be wrong though .
    2Cando wrote: »
    Any ideas on the distance of the TT?

1.9km flat route on the quays I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hope that's true, a race along the quays would be a great advertisement for bike racing in the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

I am on my holiers ( for 1 day only ) in Westport at the Skoda Sportif tonite.

Let me query the suitability of Time trial bikes on that stage , and bring you all an informed perspective. I don't have a TT bike myself.

Event take up has been phenomenal so far in just a few hours. Thank you all our supporters.

That is True. Stage 2 is a 1.8km Time Trial along Wexfords Quay front. Not on the road, on the actual quayfront.
    We will send you down 0.9 km of barriered unidirectional channels, on the quay front, traveling over Concrete, wood sections, tarmac, and small ramps. After 0.9 km we turn you 360 Degrees and race you back to the start, through unidirectional channels. The wood sections normally support commercial traffic tending to the fishing trawlers.
    No Cars, no traffic, no blockages, just go as fast as you can. It is a Time trial, in a sprint/ prologue / Criterium style. The Quay front is flood lit in the evening so duration is no problem, Part of the race Channels are tree lined in sections.
    The borough council are working with us to remove, all quay front furniture, giving us, clear fast straight channels. The borough council are 100% supportive of hosting the stage on the quayfront.
    The potential here is to bring the race to the very center of town, attracting the public to come along and safely view the race up close. The potential is also for a carnival atmosphere on a saturday evening on the quayfront.
    Stage 2 requires the riders to warm up as close to the start as possible, using rollers, and the warm up, support cars, as close to the stage as possible. This brings the whole race organisation / the rider preparation, the actual race and public all together on the quayfront for a few hours, on a Saturday evening.
    The organising team are very excited about stage 2. The short stage permits stage 1 and stage 3 to be lengthier stages.

In fairness A4 has a different slant because in many cases it will be riders first stage race and the % of rider with TT rig will be lower which offers a greater advantage. For the likes of Gorey, Charleville & Mayo and other stage races which feature short rolling/flat TT's I've never heard any calls for forbidding TT rig, most with designs on GC will have it anyways.

In this race a short TT won't have much impact on the overall as the stages are long and hard, 20 seconds gain in the TT will mean nothing when you miss the break on stage 3.

This poster has hit the nail on the head here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Well done Michael , looking forward to it , entry in and I've even started training . Enjoy Westport .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Would there be an issue with the wooden section if it happened to rain?

The organising team have made that consideration and considered the 'what if' scenario. There are alternative routes off the boards while staying on the quayfront. There is a wood covering possibility also.

However in absolute conditions, there is a back up plan, that maintains the stage and race prep on the quayfront.

The aim and focus is to run the quayfront stage, with contingencies. That is our job to provide the stage.

fondriest wrote: »
    Well done Michael , looking forward to it , entry in and I've even started training . Enjoy Westport .

beautiful location here. the Last bit of solace (and cycling !! ) .before the fun realy begins !!!!

Thank you Patsy for coming on board so early.

• Advertisement
Advertisement