Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cross vs MTB

• 21-07-2014 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

howdy folks,

Im looking at the lapierre Cross 200 vs the Cube Analog 29. I prefer off road, but there arent too many tracks near me, but there are some old roads that are pretty quiet but rough enough. So I'm torn between the cross as it can do roads, and handle a bit of off road, or the Cube Analog. Im leaning towards the Cube but am a little worried about what its like on the road, i need to find out if it has lock out forks actually.

Maybe the cube with less grippy tyres?

Am just over 6' with about a 34" (ish) inseam so I was going to go for the 23" frame on 29 rims.
    Ive spent a while on a frame thats too damn small for me so I would prefer something comfortable, maybe Im going too big?

Any comments/thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

nudge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

If you are aware of "the rules" ,then clearly you will need to buy both bikes. If you can't manage this, then I would suggest the cross bike might be the way to go. Great for crappy back roads and trails, plus you can easily switch between road and cross tyres depending on where you will be riding. Or you could get a second pair of wheels and have one set for the road, the other for trails.

theres rules?? omg! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Xennon wrote: »
    theres rules?? omg! :D

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
    Check rule number 12.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

There's not too many trails round where I live but am happy swapping out road wheels and cross wheels on my CX bike. It's great having options.
    I might add that the gears on a CX bike are probably more suitable for road cycling??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

I think a actual cross bike(CX) would suit you best.
    Probably a CX bike with disc brakes, maybe the boardman cx.
    This is what I would get in the budget specified.
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-comp-bike-2014

The link you provided in not a cross/CX bike.
    If it is a choice between the 2 bikes you linked, I would go with the MTB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Go for the analog. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Get the MTB. You can cycle your mountain bike on the road just fine. However you wouldn't want to take a cross bike down to Djouce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes, 23" is probably too big for a 6ft rider.

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=40

I wouldn't pick either for road use, regardless of how small or rough the roads are, but each to their own. :)

Went for the MTB, with the idea that I can pick up a couple of wheels at a later date and stick less agressive tyres on them.

I went with a 23" frame, as I prefer a bit more of an upright ride (fnarr!)

Thanks for the input folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There's a new type of bike coming out aimed at someone for who a full on mountain bike is just too much, and a road bike is not good enough for rougher roads....and who doesn't want a full on CX racer...though these bikes will do CX, touring, commuting, and things like the Gaelforce...

Such as: www.konaworld.com/rove.cfm

Giant: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.revolt.0/14990/66574/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Xennon wrote: »
    Went for the MTB, with the idea that I can pick up a couple of wheels at a later date and stick less agressive tyres on them.

I went with a 23" frame, as I prefer a bit more of an upright ride (fnarr!)

Thanks for the input folks.

TBH I thought I'd do the same, but havent' switched my tyres since I bought them and to be honest I think it's fine. I often do 30-40k cycles around town/howth/etc and never run into any issues so long as you go out with fresh legs.

In the long run it'll help build those quads as well, so when it comes to getting the thing up hill you'll be thankful.

Advertisement