Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Froyo VillainRom for Hero released

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Mr E wrote: »
    I flashed the ROM first, set up my google account and all my apps, and then flashed the kernel.

Over 30 hours since switching over, and I'm on 48% battery (WiFi or Data on at all times). Pretty good!

Hmmm. I did a full wipe, flashed ROM, flashed kernel, partitioned SD card. Having some serious problemo's tho. Force closes a lot, gets stuck on some screens.

Now I cant even download apps I've purchased. This happened for me on 1.1.9, read somewhere to enter your CVC number for credit card on google account again, did it and worked. But with 1.2.1 the download doesnt even get to as far as authorization scree, download starts and cancels in less than a second.

Dont know if I've just been unlucky or if I'm doing something wrong, have even formated my SD card, twice, but FroydVillain been nothing but a world of pain for me. Pity cause when its working it is very fast :(

oh and on top of that, for the 3rd time today when browsing, try to zoom in on the page when not fully loaded, phone has frozen, battery out, i'm going back to VR 12 this avo

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Did you do a full wipe (factory reset, wipe dalvik, wipe ext)?
    I assume ext is covered since you formatted your SD...

Did you tick the box on setup that said "Use google for backup/restore" (or something like that?) - you shouldn't do that with froyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I flashed the ROM first, set up my google account and all my apps, and then flashed the kernel.

Over 30 hours since switching over, and I'm on 48% battery (WiFi or Data on at all times). Pretty good!

ya the battery is amazing i forgot to charge my ohine on night and manged to make it all the next day aswell

Did you tick the box on setup that said "Use google for backup/restore" (or something like that?) - you shouldn't do that with froyo.

Yeah I wiped everything before flashing both 1.1.9 & 1.2.1, including the ext.

Read that alright about the google backup/restore so unticked that box each time as well.

Really dont know what I'm doing wrong. I might give it one more quick go tonight. I presume partitioning the SD card is the same as for 2.1, swap=0, ext=512mb, remainder FAT.

PC aint picking up hero when connected by USB now either, auto-mount doesnt correct it, GPS has never behaved since I moved to Froyd, I'm in a whole world of pain!!! :mad:

Thanks for the help tho!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Installed it this morning, I think I selected that option. Any idea where the setting is to disable it?
    Liking it so far. Weird not having Sense. I haven't used Linpack up to now, whats a good result? Im getting around 4.3. No apps are restored yet if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement

Settings / Privacy.

1.2.2 is out. Its in the OTA application, so its a pretty painless update.
    * Framework fixes for the GPSLocatorService that fix an issue causing a hang/crash when GPS was obtaining initial fix and location update.
    * CPUSpeed no longer supports a screen off profile. See below for details.
    * Updated lib_htcril.so to improve GSM switching, -should- also fix the people experiencing GPS+GSM not working.
    * Kernel updated to fix some regression bugs in the USB stack, ARM code issues and to prevent the camera app clogging the IO bus.

1.2.2 is out. Its in the OTA application, so its a pretty painless update.

As George Hook would say, I'm in love with a piece of technology!

Went to backup to VR12 last night, but nand restore wouldnt work, so said feck it, i'll give Froyd another go. Didnt do everthing at once, as in flash rom, kernel, partition, left a reboot or two between each stage. Only gripe was GPS was still dodgy, just did the OTA above, my very first one, and GPS locked on within seconds. Hope I aint getting ahead of myself but I'm very optimistic about this being a keeper! :D

Good stuff! Its great to have stable froyo on the Hero.....

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I installed this on a hero a week or so ago, and it's fine except random force closes time to time and phone reboots :/

But the main problem is the clock on the phone just seems to bounce around. So setting an alarm is a huge problem. Might this have to do with this kernel choice? I have to admit, I have no idea how to figure out what kernel to choose?

Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Saadyst wrote: »
    I installed this on a hero a week or so ago, and it's fine except random force closes time to time and phone reboots :/

But the main problem is the clock on the phone just seems to bounce around. So setting an alarm is a huge problem. Might this have to do with this kernel choice? I have to admit, I have no idea how to figure out what kernel to choose?

Any advice?

the clock problem was a bug at the start installed one of the fixed kernels
    and all should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

dunworth1 wrote: »
    the clock problem was a bug at the start installed one of the fixed kernels
    and all should be fine

Cheers will try that tonight.

I'm alright with just the rom then? Do I need to worry about the choice of kernels etc?

GPS still a bit dodgy for me :o , but from reading XDA seems to be a widespread problem. Dont think i'm going to do too much customising with 1.2.2, think I'll just wait until 1.3 comes out.

Really is a constant struggle all this updating roms craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Is there a place where you can pay for a rooting service, like the Apple jailbreaking ones? I would love froyo on my hero.

Via twitter Ninpo said 1.3 should be out today. Will be giving it a go, dont know why but with my last flash mybackup pro didnt restore market links, so any excuse to try something new! :D

New Froyd out today (1.3).
    I'll upgrade tomorrow if there are no major issues....

Personally I'd love to see a stripped back version without all the extra apps included. If I want those apps, I'll install them myself.

Froyd 1.4 came out during the night. I'm getting quick at wiping and installing these days. Pretty painless with Titanium. :)

Froyd 1.4 came out during the night. I'm getting quick at wiping and installing these days. Pretty painless with Titanium. :)

I dunno, even using a backup app its making my head hurt!

When you do a nand backup, do you do just a nand backup or a nand + ext? I'm presuming when you've Apps2SD you should / need to do a nand + ext?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

So am thinking that it might be time to switch over to this. Has been nice having the same ROM for a while (VR12) and not having to wipe/flash every couple of weeks, but starting to get a bit restless and think I need a change.

What I wanted to ask is:
    I have Swype Beta, as this is closed now will I be able to re-install it if I use Titanium on FroydVillain 1.4, and if I decide to revert to the nandroid backup, will it still be there?

Cheers

flugel wrote: »
    When you do a nand backup, do you do just a nand backup or a nand + ext? I'm presuming when you've Apps2SD you should / need to do a nand + ext?? :confused:

I just wipe all (system, ext, dalvik). Titanium restores all (apart from widgets).
    Zagato wrote: »
    What I wanted to ask is:
    I have Swype Beta, as this is closed now will I be able to re-install it if I use Titanium on FroydVillain 1.4, and if I decide to revert to the nandroid backup, will it still be there?

I'm on the swype beta list, and haven't used it for about a month (it wasn't even installed). I just installed it now (with my beta username and password), no problem at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

To get Swype working again after I restored it I had to uninstall it and then rerun the Swype installer program (don't uninstall this!!), then set up as originally.

I had the installer APK on my SD card (you had to download it to your phone from your phones browser, so there is a good chance you still have it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

fjsanchez wrote: »
    Is there a place where you can pay for a rooting service, like the Apple jailbreaking ones? I would love froyo on my hero.

Its very easy to do....paying someone to do it would be a complete waste of money!

Seriously there is an abundance of walktrhoughs on google and youtube. I done it first time no problems and although it does look to do a bit complicated but its not!

Go for it...and once you have a nandroid back-up you should be able to undo anything you've done anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I had the installer APK on my SD card (you had to download it to your phone from your phones browser, so there is a good chance you still have it)

Thanks, just had a look, for some reason I appear to have 5 copies of it on my SD card:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Took the plunge today and upgraded to 1.4. Did a Titanium backup first, then did a full wipe and flashed the 1.4 zip file and 1.4.1 update.

Very impressed so far, no missing Sense at all. All my apps were restored intact. Much faster and smoother with Froyo, managed to beat my high score in Homerun Battle 3D first time out :D.

The Villainrom Updater doesn't seem to be working though, anyone else with this problem (operation timing out)? Didn't change the kernel either, is this worth doing?

Too much work to install 1.4.3, I'm just going to wait for 1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Im back to villainrom12 after trying froydvillain for a few weeks. It got quite sluggish. There were a few niggly little problems from time to time. Hadnt even many apps installed. Missed the sense widgets. VR12 by far the best rom I've used.

Also lately I have started getting the problem a lot of people report with the bottom of the touchscreen not working all the time. They say its a hardware fault but it definitely seems to be a software fault. It happens only particular types of menus and the keyboard. Not blaming froyo for that though.

1.5 was released during the night. GPS fully working, and lots of stability and speed fixes. Can be flashed over an earlier version, but best done from wipe.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=774246

1.5 was released during the night. GPS fully working, and lots of stability and speed fixes. Can be flashed over an earlier version, but best done from wipe.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=774246

Loaded this up this morning, so far so good. Don't notice any huge improvement over 1.2 yet but ill stick with this for a while, hope its a keeper

• Advertisement

2 full days running it, no problems. If I was being picky, I only like part of the blue theme (I don't like the radio buttons or lock screen, but like everything else about the theme). The original vanilla theme is now downloadable from the link I posted above.

Advertisement