Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adebayor (Mod warning Post #35)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

From the Adebayor celebration on Saturday

1raxci.jpg

So many lols. jkce2v.gif

The guy in the yellow shirt ghost ****
    The guy underneath him struggling for air
    The guy in the top left corner who loses his balance
    The guy in the purple shirt near the middle that appears out of nowhere halfway through the gif
    Carlos Tevez's cameo in the bottom left corner
    The guy in the bottom right being thrown around the place
    The stewert at the bottom with a big grin on his face

jkce2v.gifjkce2v.gif It's the gif that keeps on giving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Who were the fans who chanted "Same Old Arsenal, Always Cheating"?

So appropriate here. :D

Are you saying that a Manchester City player who used to play for arsenal who ran the length to antagonise arsenal fans after scoring against them is "same old arsenal always cheating"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

1raxci.jpg

So many lols. jkce2v.gif

The guy in the yellow shirt ghost ****
    The guy underneath him struggling for air
    The guy in the top left corner who loses his balance
    The guy in the purple shirt near the middle that appears out of nowhere halfway through the gif
    The guy in the bottom right being thrown around the place
    The stewert at the bottom with a big grin on his face

jkce2v.gifjkce2v.gif It's the gif that keeps on giving.

Where's the footballer who ran the length of the pitch to antagonise them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Lols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

orourkeda wrote: »
    Are you saying that a Manchester City player who used to play for arsenal who ran the length to antagonise arsenal fans after scoring against them is "same old arsenal always cheating"

No, another group of fans at another game did this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

jkce2v.gif

Very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I never saw Ade run so fast in my life! Was hillarious :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Silly stuff from Adebayor, both the stamp and the daft 90 yard run to celebrate in front of the Arsenal fans.
    He was running around like a headless chicken, it's as if he was playing on pure adrenaline, I'd say he felt a bit of a spanner on Sunday morning.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

nullzero wrote: »
    I'd say he felt a bit of a spanner on Sunday morning.

ah don't be silly.

have you just heard of Ade?

he'll have been proud of that celebration; not one regret.

he couldn't give a sh*t, rightly or wrongly, about Arsenal fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

SlickRic wrote: »
    ah don't be silly.

have you just heard of Ade?

he'll have been proud of that celebration; not one regret.

he couldn't give a sh*t, rightly or wrongly, about Arsenal fans.

He probably should feel a bit of a spanner, but there's no accounting for his personality.
    I'm sure he'll have plenty of time to think about it in the time between him being handed a ban by the F.A and having it promtly dropped after a quiet word from City's owners.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Exactly what is the point you are trying to make here because it definitely not the point you started off making.

The point I'm making is that Adeyabor did nothing more than plenty of other players did - other people could easily understand my point so I don't see why you couldn't.

As I said, were you worried when William Gallas engineered a move out of Chelsea or Sol Campbell out of Tottenham? No, you weren't.

Its all well and good for players to further their careers at Arsenal but when a player does the opposite and moves on from Arsenal he gets lambasted. It's all a bit hypocritical IMO.

orourkeda wrote: »
    I agree. His whole handling of this affair leaves a lot to be desired. He has done himself and his club a lot of harm and has generated publicity that both could have done without.

I've always been indifferent to Manchester City but now I hope they win nothing. (I'm not a manchester united supporter) Somehow I dont think Carlos Tevez would react in the same way if he were to score at old trafford next week.

That's a whole different scenario. The United fans wanted Tevez to stay, they weren't making mock brochures to try and sell him.

Lemlin, Adebayor treated the Arsenal fans with a total lack of respect over the last two years so he doesn't deserve any in return. In 2008 he started demanding a second payrise in 12 months on the back of one good season - he wasn't a good servant for Arsenal, it was the other way around. Wenger took him from being a player who 'never going to play for Monaco again' and put his faith in him. He also got a lot of support from Arsenal fans well before he started to produce any performances.

For nearly two months of summer 2008 he was angling for a move to anyone who would pay him what he felt he deserved. For this entire period we had to listen to him and his agent talking every other day about how awesome he is, how he's the new Henry, how many clubs want him, how he's outgrown Arsenal etc. Then his move failed to materialise, he was given his new contract he and came out and made the incredibly insulting claim that he loved the club and never wanted to leave, and kissed the badge after scoring a goal in pre-season. The following season he then went and produced some of the laziest, half arsed performances for us you're likely to see, all the while giving interviews slagging off the Arsenal fans, blaming them for the whole situation (this is despite the majority still cheering him on at games).

Sounds like what another Arsenal favourite Sol Campbell did at Spurs tbh. At least Arsenal got a ghood price for Adeyabor though.

Also, did the Arsenal fans not incite him by roaring abuse before the game had even started? Has he not the right to answer those who have mocked him for so long? I think he has.

I think Adeyabor is a good striker. I've no real opinion of him as a person - I don't like him or hate him. I can see why he did what he did on Saturday though.

Football fans seem to think that because they pay to go to matches they can shout what they like at players. You pay a plumber to come into your house - does that give you the right to stand there and roar abuse at him?

And all this talking of him generating a move etc. I find hypocritical tbh. Arsenal fans have had no problem with players like Sol Campbell and Gallas doing the same to their clubs - now the shoe is on the other foot.

Adeyabor spoke out because was trying to get the best price for his service at the time when he was most marketable after his good season. I'd also imagine he wanted to move on because the likes of Barca and Milan had come knocking. They are actually winning things. Arsenal haven't won anything in years.

And Thierry Henry didn't get the same reaction when he fecked off to the Nou Camp - although he was clever like a proper mercenary and sugar coated it by saying he was moving to allow the team to progress! Nice one Thierry!

Adeyabor moved from a club who are selling some of their best players (Ashley Cole, Henry) to a club who are buying some of the best players in England and offering him astronomical wagesd I'd imagine. I don't blame him tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lemlin wrote: »
    The United fans wanted Tevez to stay,

Maybe at the time but the tune has changed completely since he became a blue. Now the focus is on his 4 league goals last year and not on all the hard work he put in when he was played. Funny that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sounds like what another Arsenal favourite Sol Campbell did at Spurs tbh.

so?

You expect Arsenal fans to turn on their own player cause of his actions towards their closest and bitterest rivals? Really?

It doesn't matter what players do to other clubs, not really. The respect they show your club is all that really matters to fans.

so?

You expect Arsenal fans to turn on their own player cause of his actions towards their closest and bitterest rivals? Really?

It doesn't matter what players do to other clubs, not really. The respect they show your club is all that really matters to fans.

No, I don't expect Arsenal fans to turn against their own player but I find it funny that they feel so strongly about Adeyabor acting like a mercenary when they have had no problem with players doing it to other clubs to get to theirs. As I said, the shoe is on the other foot now and Arsenal supporters can see how Spurs supporters felt about Campbell.

And tbh, unless Arsenal start winning stuff soon and quit all this talk to being the next big team, it's going to happen more and more often. Fabregas could be gone come next Summer. Will he be lambasted also?

Fabregas could be gone come next Summer. Will he be lambasted also?
    probably not.

Adebayor isn't lambasted just because he left them.

He gets the abuse for whoring himself round europe the summer before last, disrespecting the club, and for the lack of effort and form he showed last season after getting his bumper new pay rise.

Fabregas has never whored himself around, he has commited himself to Arsenal without issue when he could easily have left over the past couple of summers - and he has always given his all and performed well on the pitch for them.

probably not.

He gets the abuse for whoring himself round europe the summer before last, disrespecting the club, and for the lack of effort and form he showed last season after getting his bumper new pay rise.

Fabregas has never whored himself around, he has commited himself to Arsenal without issue when he could easily have left over the past couple of summers - and he has always given his all and performed well on the pitch for them.

A quick search on Google and I found this:

Fabregas flirts with Real Madrid as Arsenal skipper paves way for ...25 Jun 2009 ... Cesc Fabregas has moved a step closer to leaving Arsenal by insisting his family would understand if he joined Real Madrid. ...
    www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Fabregas-flirts-Real-Madrid-Arsenal-skipper-paves-way-summer-exit.html - Similar

I don't see how the player doing his best to get get a good deal is whoring himself around. As for the lack of effort and form, have you ever thought that perhaps that wasn't on purpose? That the player was just going through a bad patch and rather than stick with him his own fans turned on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Fabregas flirts with Real Madrid as Arsenal skipper paves way for ...25 Jun 2009 ... Cesc Fabregas has moved a step closer to leaving Arsenal by insisting his family would understand if he joined Real Madrid. ...
    www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Fabregas-flirts-Real-Madrid-Arsenal-skipper-paves-way-summer-exit.html - Similar

All of which were followed by Fabregas saying the reports are rubbish and then committing himself to Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

A quick search on Google and I found this:

I don't see how the player doing his best to get get a good deal is whoring himself around. As for the lack of effort and form, have you ever thought that perhaps that wasn't on purpose? That the player was just going through a bad patch and rather than stick with him his own fans turned on him.

...and you believe everything you read in the papers? This story has been doing the rounds for the last 4 years.

However, I do think Cesc will go next summer and not because he is a whore but because Arsenal are simply not ambitious enough. We've tried going down the youth route but unfortunately it isn't working. You have to mix experience with youth. We haven't got enough experienced players at Premiership level IMO.

Arshavin proves if you spend on quality it normally works. Look at Torres, Drogba, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

probably not.

if you believe the newspapers and saf ,he wanted to go to chelsea or utd before city

city being the last resort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Mr Alan wrote: »
    personally i get offended when Kaka does his "i beleong to jesus" ****e, but he shouldnt be banned for it.

You are easily offended mate, what is it to you if Kaka wishes to pay homage to something who has a important place in his life? The bloke is a philanthropist too so I certainly wouldn't begrudge him that celebration just because I don't agree with it.

Anyway on topic, I think Adebayor was wound up big time. The stamp looks like a knee jerk reaction to RVP's tackle but that's still no excuse, he could have taken his eye out FFS. I also have little sympathy for his celebration, yes he took a lot of abuse off of the Arsenal fans but this is the guy who once desribed AC Milan as the "Beyonce" of football when he was still an Arsenal player.

Roaster wrote: »
    ...and you believe everything you read in the papers? This story has been doing the rounds for the last 4 years.

However, I do think Cesc will go next summer and not because he is a whore but because Arsenal are simply not ambitious enough. We've tried going down the youth route but unfortunately it isn't working. You have to mix experience with youth. We haven't got enough experienced players at Premiership level IMO.

Arshavin proves if you spend on quality it normally works. Look at Torres, Drogba, etc.

I don't believe anything I read in the papers unless its in a broadsheet like the Times, although I do take those with a pinch of salt also until they are confirmed.

I find it amazing though that people are applying one rule for Adeyabor and another for Fabregas as you've just shown. People are all to willing to dismiss stories about Fabregas but are also all to willing to believe the stories about Adebayor when it suits.

Dismiss stories that Fabregas has rubbished, and believe stories based on quotes given by Adebayor on TV. Can't find a link, but I remember Arsenal fans being pissed after Adebayor had said he didn't want to leave Arsenal in a press conference (not an Arsenal one i think) then 5 minutes later was giving an off stage interview to a foreign media outlet saying he wanted to go to Barcelona/Milan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I don't believe anything I read in the papers unless its in a broadsheet like the Times, although I do take those with a pinch of salt also until they are confirmed.

I find it amazing though that people are applying one rule for Adeyabor and another for Fabregas as you've just shown. People are all to willing to dismiss stories about Fabregas but are also all to willing to believe the stories about Adebayor when it suits.

It mystifies me how you can compare the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Stories such as???

jasonorr wrote: »
    Stories such as???

The one mentioned above. I can't get into websites to research in work but there are plenty of stories which do the rounds about Fabregas.

The one mentioned above. I can't get into websites to research in work but there are plenty of stories which do the rounds about Fabregas.

Such as this?
    And tbh, unless Arsenal start winning stuff soon and quit all this talk to being the next big team, it's going to happen more and more often. Fabregas could be gone come next Summer. Will he be lambasted also?

The two case are incompareable!!! This is Fabregas' 7th season at Arsenal, he has been an incredible player for us and is currently our captain. He's always admitted his desire to return to Spain one day and since he moved to England at 15/16, it's quite understandable. In the time he's been there, he's only won one FA Cup. He always gives everything he's got to the cause and rarely complains, be it about money or anything else. Yes we helped to develop him as a player, but another season without trophies and I'd expect him to leave because I don't think we've given him enough in that respect.

Adebayors merits don't even get a mention in comparison to Fabregas.

EDIT: I just saw the Madrid link (which doesn't work). There was never anything in that rumour, I think Fabregas said he had a conversation with Perez or something. The one key thing is, anytime he's been linked with a move, he denies it strongly everytime.

Such as this?

The two case are incompareable!!! This is Fabregas' 7th season at Arsenal, he has been an incredible player for us and is currently our captain. He's always admitted his desire to return to Spain one day and since he moved to England at 15/16, it's quite understandable. In the time he's been there, he's only won one FA Cup. He always gives everything he's got to the cause and rarely complains, be it about money or anything else. Yes we helped to develop him as a player, but another season without trophies and I'd expect him to leave because I don't think we've given him enough in that respect.

Adebayors merits don't even get a mention in comparison to Fabregas.

EDIT: I just saw the Madrid link (which doesn't work). There was never anything in that rumour, I think Fabregas said he had a conversation with Perez or something. The one key thing is, anytime he's been linked with a move, he denies it strongly everytime.

I'm not as familiar with the Arsenal situation as some of the fans on here. I'm a Blackburn supporter and I've gotten all too used to players moving on to improve themselves - Bentley, Santa Cruz and Bellamy just to name a few.

I don't see what Adeyabor did wrong tbh. As I've said above, he played well, maximized interest in himself to be paid the going rate and moved on when the opportunity was there. I don't think he played deliberately badly last season either. Maybe his head wasn't in it anymore and who's to know what had gone on between him and Wenger. Just look at Ronaldo and compare last year to the season before. Its said he had an agreement with SAF but he still didn't perform.

I'd see him as exactly the same as Henry, although as I said before Henry sugar coated his move with some clever press releases. Adeyabor just hasn't the same sense. Fabregas may say he's staying now but, like Adeyabor, when it suits him, he won't be long moving on.

There are very few players who love their clubs like fans think they should. And who would blame them? If you were offered what they are, you wouldn't be long jumping at it. Even the likes of John Terry who is supposedly Chelsea through and through has used the interest of other clubs to his advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Headshot wrote: »
    if you believe the newspapers and saf ,he wanted to go to chelsea or utd before city

city being the last resort
    Let's face it i don't know which source is worse.

I'd see him as exactly the same as Henry, although as I said before Henry sugar coated his move with some clever press releases. Adeyabor just hasn't the same sense. Fabregas may say he's staying now but, like Adeyabor, when it suits him, he won't be long moving on.

Sorry, I just can't take you seriously when you compare Adebayor to players like Fabregas and Henry who are/were at their clubs for a long time and always give/gave 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The way Adebayor behaved last year and at the weekend is disgraceful, Fans of any club would have the same reaction if one of their players/former players behaved in the same way, I know I would if a united player acted the **** like he did.

Adebayor is totally at fault here, The Arsenal fans would not have given him grief last year if he gave the effort/performances he is capable of.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Adebayor is totally at fault here, The Arsenal fans would not have given him grief last year if he gave the effort/performances he is capable of.

A goal every 2.375 games is hardly disgraceful for a season that was blighted by injury (he missed 2 months IIRC).

Sorry, I just can't take you seriously when you compare Adebayor to players like Fabregas and Henry who are/were at their clubs for a long time and always give/gave 100%.

Henry moved on when it suited him. Fabregas will do the same.

And there were plenty of people said Henry didn't give his best for his last season either.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A goal every 2.375 games is hardly disgraceful for a season that was blighted by injury (he missed 2 months IIRC).

Makes me wonder what he could have achieved if he were arsed. He scored 16 goals in 38 appearances last season that's a goal every 2.375 games. The previous season he got 30 goals in 48 appearances or 1.6 goals a game . The difference is plain to see.

• Advertisement

Henry moved on when it suited him. Fabregas will do the same.

And there were plenty of people said Henry didn't give his best for his last season either.

This argument is going nowhere...

Makes me wonder what he could have achieved if he were arsed.

Or if he wasn't hampered by injuries....

This argument is going nowhere...

Why? Because you've placed Henry on a pedestal when the truth is he took his chance and buggered off. He's no hero and is no different than Adeyabor or the majority of players.

They are out to do what is best for themselves, not the club or the fans.

Did Henry not come out after the 2006 Champions League final and say Barca were dishonest and he wouldn't play for them?

And I've no problem with Adeyabor, Henry or Arsenal I'd like to point out again. I just find it strange that fans expect blood from people who are doing their best to earn the going rate for their services.

Makes me wonder what he could have achieved if he were arsed. He scored 16 goals in 38 appearances last season that's a goal every 2.375 games. The previous season he got 30 goals in 48 appearances or 1.6 goals a game . The difference is plain to see.

Other factors come into it too. Players such as Flamini who won the ball, held it up and gave it to the creative players weren't at Arsenal last year and were there the year before.

The bottom line is Arsenal, and not just Adeyabor, weren't as good a team last year as they were the year before.

Or if he wasn't hampered by injuries....

I doubt he played when injured, but i accept injuries could have played a part in his poorer form, there is no explaniation for his poor attitude when he did play.

• Advertisement

I doubt he played when injured.

Exactly so his season and any momentum was interrupted by a two month absence due to injury.

A slump in form would happen to any player who was absent for so long, especially when it would take a few extra weeks to get match fitness back.

Why? Because you've placed Henry on a pedestal when the truth is he took his chance and buggered off. He's no hero and is no different than Adeyabor or the majority of players.

They are out to do what is best for themselves, not the club or the fans.

Did Henry not come out after the 2006 Champions League final and say Barca were dishonest and he wouldn't play for them?

And I've no problem with Adeyabor, Henry or Arsenal I'd like to point out again. I just find it strange that fans expect blood from people who are doing their best to earn the going rate for their services.

It's going nowhere because we're just repeating ourselves which is pointless...

Exactly so his season and any momentum was interrupted by a two month absence due to injury.

A slump in form would happen to any player who was absent for so long, especially when it would take a few extra weeks to get match fitness back.

Sorry I edited my last post while you were posting. I accept what you say but his attitude was very poor last year.

I doubt he played when injured, but i accept injuries could have played a part in his poorer form, there is no explaniation for his poor attitude when he did play.

Poor attitude when he came on against West Ham and turned the match on its head to win it for Arsenal? Or when he scored four against Blackburn?

I'm not even an Arsenal fan and remember those matches. I'm sure there are other games he won for Arsenal too.

I think its become fashionable now to call his performances poor but I think people are being hugely critical of him just for the sake of it.

He didn't have a terrible season by any means and any player can suffer a loss of form. Did Torres set the world alight last year? No, he did not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Did Torres set the world alight last year? No, he did not.

slow up there betsy! you can take shots at adebayour or fabregas or whoever you want, but lets not bring the great man into it!

Torres played 1729 minutes last season and scored 14 goals.

Thats a goal every 1.3 games or so.

He was injured most of last season even when playing & he was still fantastic.

slow up there betsy! you can take shots at adebayour or fabregas or whoever you want, but lets not bring the great man into it!

He played 38 games and scored 17 goals are the stats I have.

Not as good as the season before when he scored 33 goals in 46 games.

I'm not trying to question Torres. What I am saying is that players can drop in form etc. Arsenal fans seem to be eager to vilify Adeyabor and aren't willing to accept that his performance level may just have dropped from the lofty heights of the season before.

Drogba might be a better example for last year. 14 goals in 42 games as opposed to 33 goals in 60 games two years before and 15 goals in 32 games the year before. Definite drop there.

but when people use the minutes (as opposed to appearances) made by tevez last season you say it is stupid to look at it that way.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Not sure where you're getting those stats?

I was talking about the league. Torres had 20 starts & 4 sub appearances and got 14 goals, thats sensational by anyone standards, incl. his own.

Thing about Torres, even when he is not playing well, very often he still scores-take this year for example, he has been pretty awful so far, yet still has 3 goals in 5 games.

Adebayour sulked last year, there ain't much doubt about that.

*mitch, take minutes, or appearances, the stats are deadly, end of discussion :cool:

but when people use the minutes (as opposed to appearances) made by tevez last season you say it is stupid to look at it that way.:D

Was just about to post the same. Torres got 17 goals in 38 appearances last year an average of 2.23 per game.

Have you ever conidered a career as a politcal spin doctor Al.:)

BTW he Got 33 goals from 46 appeanaces the year before so Lemlin is correct in what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Adebayor has been charged twice

for the stamp and celebration

souce ssn

delighted

• Advertisement
Advertisement