Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART ATP interface

Options
  • 17-08-2013 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have information on ow the driver interacts with the ATP system on the DART? I'm thinking in terms of bells, buzzers and acknowledgement buttons. I'm familiar with CAWS and its upgrade and downgrade tones, but don't know much about ATP. Sitting in the front carriage of a DART I sometimes hear what sounds like a very loud mechanical bell from the cab- it is also heard at 2:12 in this video. Is that part of it and what does it mean?

I also found some interesting pictures of a DART cab and the ATP panel in this video.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The mechanical bell is the DSD

DART ATP has no real interface for the driver to work with when in motion. Once the train is moving at a speed less than the displayed authorised speed the driver has to do nothing. Like CAWS, ATP is continuous so in real terms DART trains don't really need physical signals, all you need are French LGV style N/Nf marker boards.

If the train exceeds the permitted speed, there is an electronic tone which sounds continously while the train is above the permitted limit. The driver must at this point select at least neutral on the power brake controller. ATP will brake the train at full service braking level until the target speed is achieved.

If the driver holds the power brake controller in any power notch when a speed reduction is required the ATP will take this as non compliance and stop the train.

Approaching a red signal train is forced down to about 10kph, driver has to push a running release button to allow the train to continue moving, you will then hear an intermittent electronic tone while the train is in motion.

If when ATP applies the brake and the train fails to slow down at the expected rate, the train is forced to a complete stop.

If the permitted speed limit increases there is a brief electronic tone.

If you pull the ATP isolate, the ATP unit will send a coded message to CTC and even then there is a secondary speed restriction which holds you to something like 30kph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

This post has been deleted.

It's can't, it has to approach one at walking pace though otherwise the ATP will apply a full service brake.

It can only SPAD if the driver manually overrides the system and then an automatic message and warning is sent to CTC. If a driver has to SPAD due to a signal failure they have to get permission over the radio first and then override the system.

Advertisement