Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meteor & Android

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

some updates for y'all.

Hero person: receving less drops off the network (maybe 80% less). much less frequent lately altho still happening. this is in Dublin city and from Dublin - towards swords.

Legend person: received new sim today in the hope that it allieviates dropped/missed calls/texts. previous solution was to run in 2g mode only (which quite frankly is a RIDICULOUS solution). 3g on all the time from now. Will give this some time.

The reason I am monitoring these is because I'd love to switch to one of their plans since they are so cheap compared to other networks! Although my current vodafone data roaming (FREE!) is not to be sniffed at considering meteors extortionate data roaming costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I've got my Meteor desire a few weeks ago now.
    Mainly using in Ballybrit/Mervue area but also drive a bit between galway/castleabar/ballina/achill in that time and had no symptoms of this issue at all.
    While I would suggest that there is an issue under certain circumstances, for a large number of people it is irrelevent. Again with d'internet you really only hear about the negative points of a product or service (despite the few people on here saying they have had no issues)
    Frankly Meteor are the only value for money carrier of the desire at the moment that I can see. The two big boys are pretty expensive with their drooid and apple devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Just to bump this thread to ask a question...

I've had my desire for about a month now and in the past week I've been getting signal drops... I enable then disable airplane mode and this fixes it.

Are you guys still having these issues? The reason I ask is I flashed a new radio last week so I believe it might also be causing the problem

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

No, I don't have that problem (East Cork).

I flashed back to the default radio and its all up and running again. My fault instead of meteors...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've had it drop out occasionally (like 2/3 times) in the past 3 months in Cavan area, but hasn't happened in a while now.

I have since upgraded to a new Froyo-based ROM and radio though so this may have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

It seems to be happening on many different networks around the world, with many different Android devices.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2845

Damn it must be annoying.

I wonder if there could be something in common in the network settings amongst the various networks around the world that are seeing this problem....or would it be just an Android issue?

On that link above, many people are frustrated that the issue isn't being worked on. It only has 298 stars, and is far down the list of important issues. Weird. It hasn't even been assigned to someone, and it's over a year old!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list

Damn - the issue "Animated GIF not working in browser" has more than twice the number of stars and is assigned to a coder!

I guess if you want to get the signal issue fixed, try and get hundreds and hundreds of people to star it!

The 'No Service' is happening again now on my Bill Pay HTC Desire. I changed back to the default radio, it worked for a few days but now its gone again.

Can someone please who has a Desire and no signal drop off problems post their baseband version? Settings>About Phone>Software Information

I realise there is an issue with Meteor but I had no drop off problems until I flashed the radio.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone please help me with this? Just post the version number of your radio if you haven't flashed it and if you're on meteor.

Yelnahs wrote: »
    Can anyone please help me with this? Just post the version number of your radio if you haven't flashed it and if you're on meteor.

Baseband Version:
    32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20

Stock phone which received the Android 2.2 update OTA last week...........

• Advertisement

Gent, thank you.

I had that radio installed last week and I was receiving the no service error. I might wipe and flash a stock ROM to see if that helps. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dubsrule87

Probably gonna pick up a Desire on Meteor in the next few days. Can anybody give me any sort of update on how these issues are at the moment? I'm in Dublin 9 if that's any use ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

In the past few months, I've only had serious problems with that for a week or two. It really annoyed me at the time, but eventually it sorted itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

i signed up for a billpay with meteor - and i would never use them again. cant wait til i am off that contrat. lots and lots of missed calls. in fact once meteor rang me to take a random customer survey - half way thru the call we got cut off cos of poor reception!! true story. i would recommend getting one second hand. i got a second hand one for my girlfriend and its working fine.

charlesh wrote: »
    i signed up for a billpay with meteor - and i would never use them again. cant wait til i am off that contrat. lots and lots of missed calls. in fact once meteor rang me to take a random customer survey - half way thru the call we got cut off cos of poor reception!! true story. i would recommend getting one second hand. i got a second hand one for my girlfriend and its working fine.

????

Where are you based? Have you broght the Desire back to the shop or told meteor/HTC/the shop about the problem..........

What leap in logic makes you think buying second hand is buying a better phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlesh

kippy wrote: »
    ????

Where are you based? Have you broght the Desire back to the shop or told meteor/HTC/the shop about the problem..........

What leap in logic makes you think buying second hand is buying a better phone?

im in drumcondra dublin 9.
    i had a hero , which was having problems with reception.
    brought it back - got a legend instead.
    still dodgy enough reception.
    brought it back - gave me a new sim - slightly improved but still not great.

my logic is that 2nd hand is cheaper and you dont get hooked into a contract - like i did.
    in a year there will be so much better phones out there - so no need to go nuts money wise. get a second hand hero if ur starting out on the smart phones. thats what i would do if i was doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

SachaJ wrote: »
    Just wondering is there any sign of Meteor sorting out the issues they have with Android - I.E. The "No Service" problem. As far as I'm aware it'd something with switching from 3G to 2G and basically rendering the phone useless.

I'm two weeks away from the end of my O2 contract and with the deals Meteor are offering, I'm thinking of jumping ship (but not if the network is fecked).

Cheers.....

Not sure. I heard of this but never had a problem when switching from Edge to 3G. I think its the fact that when people lose 3G and go to edge they experience slow down cause edge in nature is slower and is not meant for heavy browsing.

Advertisement