Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Lock Broken on drivers door - ok for NCT or replace them

Options
  • 09-04-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

Someone recently tried to break into my car with a screwdriver and broke the lock on the drivers side door so I am now unable to unlock it with the key.

It is an old car (’99 Ford Ka) so when I want to open the driver door I need to unlock the passenger door, lean across and unlock it from the inside then go back around open the door and get in on the drivers side. It locks fine with the key from the outside and opens and closes no problem once unlocked but I just can’t unlock it with the key anymore. My NCT is up so I was going to book it in and was wondering if locks is something they check? I checked the manual and it just says you can fail if the ‘Door cannot be shut or opened normally or is liable to open on its own’. Technically it does open fine it is just the lock is busted!

Or would anyone know how much it would be to get car door locks replaced? The car is worth practically nothing so don’t fancy paying loads to change one lock!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think it's a fail if it cannot be opened "normally".
    Since they probably won't lock the door and unlock it again, I'd say you're probably ok.
    Put it though and see. I'm fairly sure it's just a free visual if it's a retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Well, actually door can be opened and shut normally. :p

It just cannot be locked/unlocked normally, so just leave door unlocked while going to make a test and don't forget to tell an NCT man that a lock barrel "sometimes gets stuck" ;) so you left door unlocked. :D

Biko's right that even in case of fail it'd be visual retest, so free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Denmoo... my KA is up for NCT as well this month - a 1999 like yours.

I have the opposite to you.... the passenger door wont open from outside. It is as if cable is broken. It will open from inside no problem.

I did try and look at fixing it but was a bugger to access same and just gave up!!!. AM going to chance NCT and hope he doesn't try and open from outside....hope he thinks its locked!!

My poor 1999 KA is going to find it hard to pass NCT and like you I will then have to evaluate whether it worth fixing (and just get another year out of it ) or look at coming up to 2003-2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

Masala wrote: »
    Denmoo... my KA is up for NCT as well this month - a 1999 like yours.

I have the opposite to you.... the passenger door wont open from outside. It is as if cable is broken. It will open from inside no problem.

I did try and look at fixing it but was a bugger to access same and just gave up!!!. AM going to chance NCT and hope he doesn't try and open from outside....hope he thinks its locked!!

My poor 1999 KA is going to find it hard to pass NCT and like you I will then have to evaluate whether it worth fixing (and just get another year out of it ) or look at coming up to 2003-2004.

unfortunately that's a fail but only a visual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

denmoo20 wrote: »
    Hi,

Someone recently tried to break into my car with a screwdriver and broke the lock on the drivers side door so I am now unable to unlock it with the key.

It is an old car (’99 Ford Ka) so when I want to open the driver door I need to unlock the passenger door, lean across and unlock it from the inside then go back around open the door and get in on the drivers side. It locks fine with the key from the outside and opens and closes no problem once unlocked but I just can’t unlock it with the key anymore. My NCT is up so I was going to book it in and was wondering if locks is something they check? I checked the manual and it just says you can fail if the ‘Door cannot be shut or opened normally or is liable to open on its own’. Technically it does open fine it is just the lock is busted!

Or would anyone know how much it would be to get car door locks replaced? The car is worth practically nothing so don’t fancy paying loads to change one lock!

Thanks

your car will pass but don't lock it and make him open it like you have to

• Advertisement
Advertisement