Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Would You Recommend From Start To Finish?

• 23-03-2013 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

I picked up my car last week, Black Ford Focus, and want to get more involved in car detailing. I always liked to keep my car clean but now want to get a mirror finish on the paintwork.

What products would you recommend from start to finish?

I will start building up everything over the next week or two. I need everything!

I don't have a pressure washer or polishing tool so all the work will be done by hand.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

dev110 wrote: »
    I picked up my car last week, Black Ford Focus, and want to get more involved in car detailing. I always liked to keep my car clean but now want to get a mirror finish on the paintwork.

What products would you recommend from start to finish?

I will start building up everything over the next week or two. I need everything!

I don't have a pressure washer or polishing tool so all the work will be done by hand.

Thanks in advance.

Machine polishers are not that expensive, a DAS-6 or similar for example.
    I reckon if you want really good results you won't get them by hand.

Many suppliers will do a starter bundle with the main products you will need.
    http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-dual-action-polisher/cat_71.html
    Menzerna polish is what I chose as it is well regarded. The choice of polish can depend on the car as different manufacturers have different paint hardness levels.

There are often members discount codes provided on detailingworld.co.uk, but there are irish sites selling all these as well and you might save on shipping.

Generally after washing the car, you need to de-tar and then clay the paint before masking off trim and starting your polishing. (there are more steps but those are the basics)

Do you have a good place to do the work? Best results seem to be achieved by guys with an indoor space with good lighting since they can take the time needed for good results and spread the work out over a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

First of all you need to start with the very basics or else you are wasting your time!

Minimum, you'll need...
    Two buckets with grit guards
    A good wash mitt
    A good shampoo
    A good microfibre drying towel
    Wheel Cleaner

With the above items, you'll be able to keep the car maintained, after you've put in all the effort of getting it to a condition you are happy with.

To do a good job by hand, you'll need to do the following....
    Wash the car using the two bucket method
    Wash out all the nook and crannies with a detailing brush and APC (all purpose cleaner)
    Rinse
    De-Tar
    Rinse
    De-Ironise - not a vital step but I strongly recommend it if planning on claying the car
    Rinse
    Clay
    Rinse
    Dry
    Polish - by hand Id recommend something like Chemical Guys Pro Polish 3n or Autoglym Super Resin Polish = both contain fillers which help hide swirls - so only really a temporary solution, but will remove oxidization and give a good shine.
    Protection - if going to hand polish using the products above, its best stick with protection from the same manufacturer as they work better together. So Chemical Guys Pete's 53 Wax or if looking for something more durable, JetSeal109 and if going with Autoglym, then HD Wax or Extra Gloss Protection for something durable. This step is necessary to seal in the polish or else it will just wash away.

If machine polishing, the technique is slightly different, as you'd have to wash off all the polish oils off the car to make sure the protection would bond correctly. The hand polishes are designed to take protection on top of them.

Obviously, a lot will depend on your budget as to what exactly you will buy, etc, but if you want a list of product recommendations, I can give you what I think is the best to use.

Once you've put in the hard work, its a simple wash on a weekly basis, with the products in the first section. A good wash technique and protection safe (pH neutral) shampoo will mean the finish should last a few months. Perhaps a gloss enhancer or quick detailer type product to boost shine between washes and top up protection.

Results to be expecet.....
    Claying - makes a huge difference to the smoothness of the paint - removes the bonded contaminants from the paint that regular washing wont. I'd consider this step alone, to be on par with polishing, for the difference it makes to the appearance.
    Hand Polishing - OK results - gloss and shine restored, no correction, but swirls hidden for a while if a good job is done.
    Machine Polishing - With a DA and patience, excellent results are possible. With a rotary, a bit more risky, but results are achieved more quickly.

Any other questions - fire ahead! :)
    HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Sorry about the late reply, it was a busy weekend.

I have been looking into the DAS-6 but for the time being I don't have €200 for the full kit so I'm going to start putting money aside and hopefully pick one up in the next month or two.

I have two spots where I can put the car in to do the work so that's not a problem and with the Irish weather its probably best.

I'm going to put in an order tomorrow/Tuesday and get the bits and bobs I need so if you could Curran do up a list of what are the best products to use I would be very grateful.

I'll be off Friday-Monday so will have time to give it a good going over providing plans don't change.

do up a list of what are the best products to use I would be very grateful.

List of the best products to use, so budget aside....

Shampoo: Chemical Guys Glossworkz or Maxi Suds II
    Wash Mitt and Drying towel - as plush as possible for both...I like microfiber mitts, others prefer noodle,...personal preference...go for a microfiber drying towel though!
    Tar Remover: Orchard Autocare Tar Cleanse, quite expensive, but is the best out there and less needed so doesnt work out too bad
    De-Ironiser: Orchard Autocare Iron Cleanse - be warned, these type of products stink, but very effective
    Clay: Bilt Hamber Auto Clay is designed to work with just water, but I use it with some quick detailer. Autobrite Red Devil Clay is a different feel of clay than most regular clays and I quite like it...doesnt seem to grab as much and as a result leaves less marring
    Polish: Chemical Guys Pro Polish 3n or Autoglym Super Resin Polish...the CG's would be my choice
    Protection: As said previously, depends on the polish you choose and then the colour of your car and if you want durability ... if going for CG's polish, then Pete's 53 is a good wax on darker colours, Jetseal109 if you are looking for something very durable. If going for Autoglym polish, then HD Wax or Extra Gloss Protection if looking for durability.
    Gloss Enhancer: Chemical Guys Blitz or Orchard Autocare Perfection...I like Perfection as it goes on glass, plastic trim and paint work. Protects and beads all surfaces...and works quite well on the windscreen in the rain too.

I did up a PM with a bit of a "How To Guide" for another member on here with the products above, if you'd like it, let me know and I'll forward it onto you.

Thanks a million Curran.
    I'm going to start sourcing the products now.

Ye that "How to" guide would be a big help if you wouldn't mind forwarding it on :)

• Advertisement

What would you recommend for an alloy cleaner and tire dressing?

What would you recommend for an alloy cleaner and tire dressing?
    Wheel Cleanse.... Can be diluted 1:10 for regular washing.... or 1:4 for lightly soiled wheels.

Meguiar's Endurance Gel.... It's a bit shiny...I apply it, leave it a few minutes and the buff them off to leave a deep dark look without the glossy shine. But that's personal preference.

I have all the bits and bobs needed apart from a wheel sealant so will re do the alloys next weekend.

Long day ahead :D

DSC_0073_zps96398474.jpg

Good stuff!! :)
    The obsession begins :p Hope it stays dry for you tomorrow! Report back with pictures ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I did my 02 VW Bora using all Meguiars products. It gives that shiny wet look which i like.

• Advertisement

The Bora is looking very well huggs!

Im going to take a punt and say you used the....
    Clay Kit
    Ultimate Polish
    Ultimate Paste Wax
    Endurance Gel on the tyres

Nothing better than a shiny black car! ;) Good work!

Glad you like it.

Ultimate compound.
    Ultimate polish.
    Ultimate liquid wax.
    Hot Rims all wheel cleaner
    Endurance gel for tyres.
    Ultimate protectant for plastic etc.Their version of "back to black"

The paint was very dull when i washed it, so i used compound which brought it up nicely. Meguiars compound is very easy on the paintwork.No black paint came off on the cleaning pad.I did not think it needed claying so i left it out. Might check that out next time.

huggs2 wrote: »
    No black paint came off on the cleaning pad.I did not think it needed claying so i left it out. Might check that out next time.

No black paint should come off on the pad - there is a clear coat on the paint. If black did come off, I'd be worried! ;)

Claying is always recommended before polishing.

Anyways - great shine off it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

huggs2 wrote: »
    I did my 02 VW Bora using all Meguiars products. It gives that shiny wet look which i like.

That Bora is looking well :cool:

I would through the pics up here aswell if I was you so everyone can have a look :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=314368&page=390

Thanks. glad you also like it. Put the photos up on that link just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with restoring faded red plastic ?

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with restoring faded red plastic ?

Any pics of the plastics?

I finished my first taste at detailing.

Took me 8 hours I think to get the outside finished. Didn't do the alloys properly as didn't have anything to seal my work so left them for next weekend when I'll take them off and give them a good scrubbing.

Had to stop half way through polishing as I dropped the applicator and didn't have another one so had to wash it and make sure everything was out of it.
    You really do need a machine to get the most out of polishing.

Before:

DSC_0074_zpsc5ce5014.jpg

After washing, de tarring, de ironising, claying and drying:

DSC_0080_zps67f2849d.jpg
    DSC_0081_zpsc8a80187.jpg
    DSC_0082_zps8cd6766c.jpg

Ready for polishing/waxing:

1dc1cff2-6005-4dd0-9c71-27d0879aac6a_zps241ae98a.jpg
    DSC_0085_zpsc4e0311c.jpg
    DSC_0083_zps52442deb.jpg

After polishing/sealing:

DSC_0086_zps407d67d2.jpg
    DSC_0087_zpsec4a3a57.jpg
    DSC_00911_zpscf8a847d.jpg

Next things on my list are something for the glass, blacken the exterior trim as its gone very faded looking, seal the alloys, tyre dressing and more applicators & towels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Nice job! For the trim check out either Plasticare or Auto Finesse Revive.

Car detailing is addictive...I catch myself looking at the forecast and wondering if I can get a sunny day to get out cleaning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Curran wrote: »
    Any pics of the plastics?

Not right now but its not badly faded, hasn't turned pink or anything just a light red in comparison to the paint work.

• Advertisement

I finished my first taste at detailing.

Fair play to you....the Focus is looking nice and shiny! :)

As you said the next time...the trim and tyres, although quite simple and quick, they are the finishing touches that make all the difference!

Nice turn around! ;)

Not right now but its not badly faded, hasn't turned pink or anything just a light red in comparison to the paint work.

Faded plastics can be a bit of a nightmare. There are very few products on the market that I would consider worth buying. Most will do a decent job for a week or two and will have been washed away. Its a job that I couldnt do on every 2nd wash.

There are however a few solutions....
    The first is a product called gtechniq C4....havent used it personally, but have seen it been used. Darkens the trim really nicely, and the best bit, its supposed to last up to a year. It is expensive however at £19 for 15ml of product. But for purely to keep yourself sane, its a value for money in my eyes. Cant report on the claimed year durability as only seen it applied a few weeks ago, but it gets great reviews.

Secondly, is to use a heat gun on the plastic. The heat rejuvenates the plastic. I tried it on an old piece of trim and it does work, but it can leave certain plastics a bit blotchy or patchy looking if the heat isnt spread evenly and for the same amount of time.
    Here's a quick video....though if you choose this method, I wouldnt go as close to the trim as that person did. Id take my time from a bit further away. Will take longer, but less chance of burning, melting or causing patchy areas!

**Id rather take the gtechniq approach personally! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ger10

Thanks Curran for all the product mentions!! I finally got the swirls marks to go away.
    I'm going to get the machine polisher soon!

6 hours later and the alloys still to go :D

6 hours... is that all? :p

Looking good Ger.... Good work! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ger10

Thanks curran :)
    I was always into keeping it clean but jasus its like brand new. It was six hours, two dead arms and 50 quid worth of cleaning supplies haha. (and the inside/ alloys still have to be done lol)

Whats the story with the alloy sealant you mentioned? Is it essentially a wax for the alloys?

ger10 wrote: »
    Whats the story with the alloy sealant you mentioned? Is it essentially a wax for the alloys?

Which one did I mention?

Im not sure what on I mentioned - Ive re-read this thread and maybe Ive missed it, or perhaps you've seen me mention it in another thread.
    ger10 wrote: »

If it was Chemical Guy's Wheel Guard that I mentioned, then yes, thats essentially what it is. It wont perform wonders, but it will do a decent of making the wheels easier to clean and will give them a bit of extra pop/bling.
    Plenty of people use the protection product they have for their paint work, such as some of the durable ones - Collinite 476S Wax or Chemical Guy's JetSeal109.

But if you are looking for the daddy of all wheel sealants and dont mind parting with a few quid, then gtechniq C5 Wheel Amour is unreal. Will last over a year and if washing the wheels regularly, its almost enough to wash with just water. A very weak wheel cleaner might be necessary, but wont have any major effect on the durability, where as it would on products above.
    Taking the hit on the expense and having to put the effort in to take off all 4 wheels, decontaminate them, and seal them up, really is worth it. Makes wheel cleaning so much easier! Brilliant product if you've got wheels with polished lips also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

For faded trim gtechniq c4 is the only way to go IMO, it's expensive and you'll be surprised by how little you get but the tiniest drop does so much, and it lasts, well.
    I did my grills plastics on the last car and it never faded.

Yeah C4 is really good.
    Not had a chance to use it yet, but have seen it used on the trim on a 98 BMW E36 and the trim came up straight away. Deep and black. And as you say, very little used.

The remainder is due to go on my E39 and the trims are very faded (and there'll probably be some left over after that too) but not until I actually get a chance to polish it first...long over due and its starting to look like I brush wash it :o Goes to show how a few quick, carless washes have really swirled the car...only done them as I knew Id be doing a job on it soon! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Makes you afraid to go out in the rain, a quick wash does me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Hmm DAS 6 you say

Is the Kestrel the same as the 2010 Shield DAS 6 ?

Advertisement