Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ecu Location/obdII - Avensis T25

• 17-01-2013 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi Guys -

heres my story - I 'inherited' a 2005 Avensis 1.6 petrol after the engine lunched itself probably due to oil starvation - so I sourced a 3ZZFE for it and a local mechanic fitted it - car is running fine and everything is working. With one exception - the engine came from a Corolla and the mechanic says that Engine Management Light is on because this part is not connected - I'm guessing the OBD stuff that reports faults by giving you the warning light - (I wasn't around when this was being fitted so only picking up the info from family member i took the car from) - the connection wasn't made as it was different - think the original was a single wire/pin connection and the new engine had a double.

So first off, i wanted to have a look for myself at what is connected or not - and then see if there is some kind of adaptor i can get to get this plugged back in.

Anyone any experience of this? Slight differences after engine changes? As i said, everything else electrical or otherwise is working spot on in the car.

Many thanks -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

00833827 wrote: »
    Hi Guys -

heres my story - I 'inherited' a 2005 Avensis 1.6 petrol after the engine lunched itself probably due to oil starvation - so I sourced a 3ZZFE for it and a local mechanic fitted it - car is running fine and everything is working. With one exception - the engine came from a Corolla and the mechanic says that Engine Management Light is on because this part is not connected - I'm guessing the OBD stuff that reports faults by giving you the warning light - (I wasn't around when this was being fitted so only picking up the info from family member i took the car from) - the connection wasn't made as it was different - think the original was a single wire/pin connection and the new engine had a double.

So first off, i wanted to have a look for myself at what is connected or not - and then see if there is some kind of adaptor i can get to get this plugged back in.

Anyone any experience of this? Slight differences after engine changes? As i said, everything else electrical or otherwise is working spot on in the car.

Many thanks -
    Most common problem is camshaft position sensor, old one could have been 3 pin and new sensor 2 pin or vice versa, as with all vvti engines this is the most common problem I have come across when swapping out these engines, the sensor is a different size and type also camshaft pick up is different, easiest fix is to FIT THE PROPER ENGINE for that car! Honestly :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

car has to be connected to diagnostics, and see what exact fault it is. could be something very simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Thanks lads, got an OBDII device so will try that at weekend and it might tell me whats not connected - as @PADRAIC.M said it might well be the camshaft sensor thats not connected - if so, im wondering if a new one with the correct pickup/connection will do

i am bit curious.... what obdII device have you got ? There is very few out there , which will connect to it.
    Ive got original tactrix cable with techstream software to connect to my toyota avensis ... that went good, also i was trying one chinese mongoose (35 quid), techstream didn't recognized it.

something like this set up -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73847690

Torque App on an Android phone and an ELM327 bluetooth OBDII device

• Advertisement

something like this set up -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73847690

Torque App on an Android phone and an ELM327 bluetooth OBDII device

Im afraid elm327 wont work, as it not supporting J2534 PassThru , ... i have elm also .. but with wire, it didnt work.. not with any software. I know, elm 327 advertise that it does diagnostics to toyota, but in reality not.

Ive got this.. the cheapest option to get connected to toyota -
    http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=17&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

then you have this - http://www.drewtech.com/products/Mongoose/mongoosemfc.html

and offered from toyota - http://www.toyota-tech.eu/GTS/Wizard/Step1-choose-nagivation-system.aspx?menuitem=1

It is possible get other tools for toyota diagnostics, but the rest are insane expensive.

if you need just once do diagnostics, you no need to buy anything, just pop in in descent garage, and youll get your engine light explained for 50 -70 quid. ... this is way less, then buy diagnostic tools.

I have the new gds here in work but I have no problem reading engine codes with €50 OBS reader and have the blue point one too which also reads codes, live data/activations/utilities aren't great but read and clear engine codes no problem on any Toyota/lexus

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    I have the new gds here in work but I have no problem reading engine codes with €50 OBS reader and have the blue point one too which also reads codes, live data/activations/utilities aren't great but read and clear engine codes no problem on any Toyota/lexus

what software you using ?

i did try elm327 with different free and some trial softwares .... never connected to my t22 toyota, maybe there something different on t25.. dont know.

it connected fine for me - very impressed with the Torque app on Android -

Got an error code of P0328 - Knock Sensor - so im guessing this is the fella that is not connected.

it connected fine for me - very impressed with the Torque app on Android -

Got an error code of P0328 - Knock Sensor - so im guessing this is the fella that is not connected.
    the connection for this is located between the alternator and intake manifold. While the sensor itself is in behind the manifold- have a look

• Advertisement

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    the connection for this is located between the alternator and intake manifold. While the sensor itself is in behind the manifold- have a look

Cheers - was tied up today will have a look tomoro. Found another thread on a Toyota forum where the guy was swapping a 1ZZFE for a 3ZZFE and had a similar issue. Difference in the number of wires connection the sensor -

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=325885

ok, took a look at lunch time there, found this fella dangling beside the alternator - its got two wires on it - a blue connector has been placed on one of the wires that i am thinking leads down to the sensor - sensor having only a single wire perhaps?

If this is the case, seems that i will need a new sensor one with two wires to fit the connector.

knock.JPG

Found a breaker selling one on evilBay, photo looked like the connection would suit the pic above, so i sent it to him and asked to confirm it was two cable connection, he said yes - so i ordered and will hopefully fit it next weekend, will update y'all then.

want to update you on this - i got the sensor. had a look where it was to go, decided there was no way i could do it as my hands are too big and if i started to take apart the engine to get at it, it would never drive again. So went to the Polish lads at the end of the road and asked them to do it. No Problem they said - they got in there but said that the diameter of the knock sensor was too narrow compared to the old one and couldnt fit it. ok. so i researched a bit and found some guys having success with relocating the knock sensor - basically its a little microphone that is bolted to the block and listens to the noise frequency the engine makes, if it hears what it wants, then all is ok. if it hears something else, then it complains. So i bolted it on top using one of the engine cover bolts. EML still showing. i am gonna clear the fault at lunch time and see if it comas back on. I will also make sure the grounding is ok on it - otherwise, may have to talk to MR. T about getting a sensor that can bolt on to where it should be and have the correct connection to the wiring loom.

Will update y'all later.

Oh also noticed an oil leak this morning - sad face -

so i didnt have the OBDII device with me to clear code, so went out at about 10am to the car park at work, disconnected the battery, went back at 1pm - reconnected. started car and.....

... Engine Management Light is off!!!! Success!!!! Took it for about a 20 min spin - there is better acceleration in the car now in 2nd and 3rd - it was very sluggish since engine replacement - i read this happens as result of knock sensor failure - poor fuel consumption too but i cant say i am seeing that to be honest, its returning what i expect.

Happy days! Thanks for everyone's help - Honestly;-)

glad your car got sorted.

quick update on this - after about 10 days the management light reappeared - i took off the sensor, checked the connections, put a multimeter on the cable to see if it was broken, all good - reassembled it and cleared the code again - been off ever since.

Fuel economy has improved id say by about a half litre per 100km - did a bit of an economy run last week, if im careful and stick to limits and dont rev her high i can get 46-47mpg - but 43/44mpg is no problem otherwise driving her however you like.

Advertisement