Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chip in Windscreen

• 04-04-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

A stone hit my windscreen of my car and I am waiting for the insurance company to get to me. Really need to use the car in the now and Im afraid the chip will spread. My friend told me about a sticker that can be put on the windscreen to stop it cracking more.

But my question is do these stickers actually work and the cost of them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Apparently just strong clear tape or superglue can help for the moment.

From a webpage for DECO Chip Saver Card Sticker
    How to Avoid a Windshield Chip Spreading Into an Unrepairable Crack
    1. Clean and dry the chip and surrounding surface
    Take a clean cloth and wipe your windshield to make sure the chip and the surrounding surface of the windshield are both clean and dry. Also, make sure that any loose glass particles are out of the chip.

2. Place a piece of tape , or a DECO Chip Saver Card Sticker over the chip
    Be sure to completely cover the chip with a piece of strong, clear tape, such as packing tape, or a complimentary DECO Chip Saver Card Sticker. This helps to prevent any dirt or moisture from seeping into the chip and causing it to spread into a large crack that would make repairing the windshield impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,494 ✭✭✭✭Esel

biko wrote: »
    Apparently just strong clear tape or superglue can help for the moment.
    I thought superglue was a big no-no for windscreens?

Not your ornery onager

Superglue will ruin the windshield as it leaves a blurry spot and traps glass bits etc inside and it can't be removed. It's also usually too thick to penetrate properly.
    But for a tiny spot outside your line of sight there is no particular reason to not use it.
    Glue/tape is not considered a perm fix, it's only a temp fix until the new windscreen can be put in.

Every chips is different and should be repaired considering it's size and position.
    If you have an old car and no windscreen cover it's an option for small stone chips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,494 ✭✭✭✭Esel

biko wrote: »
    Superglue will ruin the windshield as it leaves a blurry spot and traps glass bits etc inside and it can't be removed. It's also usually too thick to penetrate properly.
    I'm pretty sure I read (in more than one place!) not to use superglue to attach a rear-view mirror because it can/will crack the glass. Is this true?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Well there is 2 scenarios here.
    Super glue a crack is intended to stop it spreading temporarily. Neither glue nor tape is better than a proper repair by a pro. And neither will stop the process, only slow it down.

Super gluing a RV mirror can be done too but there is special glue for that.
    Some say it can stress/crack the windscreen, some say it won't.. I still haven't read about anyone who experienced a super glue crack first hand.
    But I see posts like this
    The RVM on my wife's elderly BX came adrift 2-3 years ago. After cleaning off the residue on both surfaces with meths, and also roughening up the surface of the mount, it was successfully re-applied with super-glue. The mirror has remained in place since then, and there is no sign of any cracking (so far).
    Anyway for RV mirrors there is already special glue to buy.

Advertisement