Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus Problem

Options
  • 09-04-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have a 2005 Ford Focus 1.6TDci. For the last few weeks I am getting a problem with it. When driving, usually seems to happen going up a hill, an engine management light comes on and the car goes into limp mode. That is, there is no power, car will not go over 3000rpm.
    I would not be driving it hard, it has happened to me on a motorway, going up hill, doing 120Kph, revs were around 2000rpm.
    Also, not sure whether it is related or not, but if I leave car running for a few minutes, the cabin stinks with engine fumes.
    Has anybody come across this problem before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Fumes could be an injector seal, or just exhaust gases getting sucked into the air intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Hi folks,
    I have a 2005 Ford Focus 1.6TDci. For the last few weeks I am getting a problem with it. When driving, usually seems to happen going up a hill, an engine management light comes on and the car goes into limp mode. That is, there is no power, car will not go over 3000rpm.
    I would not be driving it hard, it has happened to me on a motorway, going up hill, doing 120Kph, revs were around 2000rpm.
    Also, not sure whether it is related or not, but if I leave car running for a few minutes, the cabin stinks with engine fumes.
    Has anybody come across this problem before?

The fumes could be 1(or both) of the common issues with that engine, as mentioned above, injector seals leaking or the gasket between the turbo and DPF/downpipe leaking.

Neither would normally cause the car to enter limp mode though so you'd need to have the problem diagnosed properly to see what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
    Hoping to get it looked at tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Got a couple of codes from a friend of mine this evening.

IMAG0009_zpsb6044c44.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

That P0234 code is the cause of your limp mode issues.

You need to get it checked out by somebody competent. It could be anything from a faulty boost sensor to a turbo problem.

The fumes entering the cabin are probably unrelated as already posted by other users above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement