Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Investigation after deaths of man and woman in Co Clare

• 17-12-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭

RTE wrote:
    An investigation is under way into the deaths of a man and woman in Co Clare.

A garda on duty in the village of Kildysart was attending the scene of an electrical fire when he saw a woman on the street in distress.

There was a child with her.

She collapsed on the street and the child ran across to an apartment.

When gardaí entered the apartment, they saw a man at the top of the stairs.

They had a brief conversation but the man, who had a serious injury, then collapsed.

Despite efforts by gardaí at the scene, both the 44-year-old man and the 27-year-old woman were pronounced dead by a local doctor.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1217/667553-bodies/

Very unusual Circumstances surrounding these two deaths/murders.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Very sad news, the poor children :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Very sad news, poor kids as MrsD has said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This is a tragic incident and there is a lot of speculation into what has happened, looking at the stories it's very easy to make up your own view of what happened, unfortunately due to Irish legal law speculation into an ongoing legal case is banned due to the potential to influence the case, with this in mind please do not speculate into what has happened here, just report on what has been said in other articles.

Please note, that this isn't from the mods, or the Cmods, or the Admins, or the Owners of Boards.ie but from the Irish legal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Gardaí have ruled out third party involvement, meaning the inquiry into the deaths is not a criminal case. It has been undertaken to inform the inquest process.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/dead-south-african-couple-had-single-stab-wounds-to-neck-1.2042279

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Murray007

Balagan wrote: »
    Gardaí have ruled out third party involvement, meaning the inquiry into the deaths is not a criminal case. It has been undertaken to inform the inquest process.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/dead-south-african-couple-had-single-stab-wounds-to-neck-1.2042279

That doesn't mean there wasn't a murder and someone who was defending themselves against murder. Not saying this is what happened but, that is a criminal case if that was the scenario.

• Advertisement

Balagan wrote: »

Doesn't matter what kind of case it is, once it's any kind of case you can't speculate into it or else you could be considered in contempt of court.

Murray007 wrote: »
    That doesn't mean there wasn't a murder and someone who was defending themselves against murder. Not saying this is what happened but, that is a criminal case if that was the scenario.

No guilt or innocence is decided at an inquest and neither criminal nor civil liability is determined. Hopefully between the postmortem, the forensic work and any witness testimony the causes/manner of both deaths will be clearly established. Very sad and if there can be any glimmer of light in such a tragedy it is that the two young daughters have their, hopefully safe and eventually happy, lives to live.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

What a tragedy. Very sad to hear, the poor kids :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

Murray007 wrote: »

Newspapers are allowed comment on Garda or Court cases that are ongoing as long as it is fair and balanced. The same would apply to the media. There is no blanket prohibition on commenting on an ongoing legal case. That was the advice I got from a well known barrister.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Palmach wrote: »
    Newspapers are allowed comment on Garda or Court cases that are ongoing as long as it is fair and balanced. The same would apply to the media. There is no blanket prohibition on commenting on an ongoing legal case. That was the advice I got from a well known barrister.

Newspapers deliver the facts of the court case , they don't comment on it. It's very difficult to keep out of contempt of court on a discussion forum, it's a side wide ban on ongoing court cases. Not just this forum. Please don't question this on thread as it's off topic. Take it to feedback or PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

Mr. G wrote: »

Newspapers deliver the facts of the court case , they don't comment on it. It's very difficult to keep out of contempt of court on a discussion forum, it's a side wide ban on ongoing court cases. Not just this forum. Please don't question this on thread as it's off topic. Take it to feedback or PM.

Just to let you know I wasn't questioning the site wide ban. I can understand from a moderation point of view where the admin are coming from. I was replying to a poster. Anyhow I won't be speculating.

Palmach wrote: »
    Just to let you know I wasn't questioning the site wide ban. I can understand from a moderation point of view where the admin are coming from. I was replying to a poster. Anyhow I won't be speculating.

I don't want to turn this into a debate on reporting on legal cases, any issues please feel free to bring the issue up with the Admins/Feedback, just note that discussions forums are different to newspapers as all copy needs to be approved before being published in a paper, on a discussion forum everything is free to be published, you might notice that on most news sites they disable feedback on most new articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Can anyone find any new News articles in relation to this event?

The Clare Champion which went on sale yesterday had some updates re the welfare of the kids etc., and there was this today on Clare FM http://www.clare.fm/news/memorial-be-held-south-african-couple

Advertisement