Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone using 5800 groupset?

• 21-12-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking slightly ahead at this time but considering upgrading my 5700 bike to 11 speed and the two options are 5800 or 6800. I Dont know if the 6800 is worth the €260 extra.

I hate the front shifting on my 5700, it's crude and clunky. Shifting from small ring to large requires quite a bit of force on the shifter and shifting down is loud and clunky. From reading reviews it seems the front shifting is much smoother with 5800 and this is the primary reason I'm thinking of changing. The FD on my 4500 winter bike is hugely smoother and less clunky and takes less lever effort going from small to large ring. If 5800 cured that i woukdnt see any need to pay for ultegra over it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

I got 5800 a few weeks ago and am very pleased with it. Considered 6800 and happy with my decision.
    Front mech gear changes are great due to larger lever arm on the FD. Very smooth as you said. However the arm used to rub against my mudguard.
    Rear gear changes are buttery smooth.
    Be sure to make the most of the 11th gear, I did, got 11-28 setup. Also larger hoods are welcome in comparison to the little nipple hoods of 5700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

+1. 5800 is smooth. My chainset is 50-36, so maybe that helps. No idea what 6800 is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thanks for that. Funny I like the 5700 hoods, I find thrm a perfect size/shape for my hands but I'm sure I'd get used to the 5800 hoods fairly quickly too.
    outfox wrote: »
    +1. 5800 is smooth. My chainset is 50-36, so maybe that helps. No idea what 6800 is like.

It's not the jump or the smoothness of the change that bothers me, it's the effort required at the shifter plus the heavy spring action on the return to the small ring. The jump from 50/34 on my compact isn't actually that bad, the lever action is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Why don't you just get a new FD / upgrade. I have 5700 shifters and Ultegra FD and RD (6800 I think) and the front shifting is very good.

No problems with compatibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

That would be an easier and cheaper option but I think part of the problem Is the shifters themselves. I'm planning to hold into the bike and so upgrading to 11 speed will sort of future proof the bike for a good few years too besides new parts make you faster!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement