Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy a cage for fully grown bernese mountain dog

Options
  • 05-03-2008 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi All,

Our pet bernese mountain dog (giant breed) is due to have an operation tomorrow morning in UCD on his cruciate ligament. He has to have the bone cut and have plates put in. The vet has told us that he has to be kept in a cage for the next 6 weeks.... the only time out of the cage is to hobble out to the garden for toilet and to start rehabilitation.
    I know it sounds cruel, (the 6 weeks in a cage). We are not putting him through this for the sake of it. THe vet has said he will make a full recovery and will get his mobility back. The thing is.... where can we buy a cage that would fit my dog for the 6 weeks. He will be in the kitchen. Im inclinded to believe the cage will unfortunately be necessary. Every time somebody comes into the room he gets up to say hello. We need some way to keep him quiet and lying down while the leg heals.
    If anybody can recommend a cage please it would be very helpful.

Thanks

agent_smith

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

What if you ask UCD where you can source one locally or if they have one to spare.

Good Luck for tomorrow op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Is your dog having a TPLO?? If you cant find a cage why not try to block off a corner in the kitchen or wherever you can with baby-gates / firescreens etc?? He certainly wont be ably to jump over them post-TPLO, you could put his bed / food dishes / comfy things in it. And it will prevent your kitchen looking like it has a walk-in aviary in it!! It may also prevent him from feeling that he is 'locked in a cage' if it has no roof. I dont doubt that giant dog crates exist but, maybe there are other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

You could buy the biggest size of this product: http://www.pet-bliss.com/acatalog/Fold_Flat_Carrier_.html

I'd say he would have plenty of room in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jjjemma

hi I am interested to hear how people have got on with tplo surgery on their dogs here in Ireland- there's not much on the irish boards that I can find- mostly UK
    Our dog Samson is just 7 weeks now since his TPLO operation for a cruciate ligament injury and seems to be doing very well- we are starting to build up his exercise well now and were wondering if anyone has used hydotherapy?? We are in Antrim in northern ireland and had the surgery done at Greenmount- pleased to say we were pleased with the outcome and must say the nurses were very kind to let us visit Samson and putting our mind at ease after his operation
    http://www.vetclinic.ie/tplo-surgery-tibial-plateau-levelling-osteotomy-ireland.html
    look forward to any help :)
    Jemma

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Are you based in Dublin? The dog shows out in Cloghran, by the airport always have stands that sell Crates, i got one for my rottweiler, a big one for 60€, so you could pop out there and get one.

Ok i just realised that the operation is on tomorrow, and there isnt a dog show for few weeks, i think Argos sell crates or try one of the online pet stores, or even the Pet shop in blanchardstown shopping centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

How about a child's wooden playpen & modify one side to make a gate.
    T.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I don't think a playpen would work for that size of dog. Because he's such a big dog keeping him in one room of the house like the kitchen might make more sense with a dog gate on the door.

Your local pet shop should have the cages but if not if you ask nicely they should be able to order the larger one for you. They usually stock the ones with the metal trays and as far as I know they go from small to medium to extra large that are supposed to fit a great dane in as far as I can remember, can't remember the brand name but they are great. You'll probably see some smaller cages there but they can look in their catalogues and should be able to find one large enough for you.

Not sure if any of these are big enough http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers
    But if ordering anything from the site use the UK one as it works out cheaper than the.ie one. If you are a first time customer you get a 10% discount plus postage for items over £29.00 is free! It does take a week to 10 days though to deliver but worth it for the savings.

Advertisement