Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rattle noise when turn crank

Options
  • 20-12-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,581 ✭✭✭

I have a boardman road bike that is running well but there is an unusual rattle noise when I turn the left pedal or apply force. It sounds like its coming from the crank. The bike is nearly 2.5 years old. What could be causing this and will I need to get it checked over in the local bike shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It sounds like your bottom bracket might need looking at. It's doable as a DIY job if you're that way inclined. Otherwise head to your LBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,581 ✭✭✭billyhead

crosstownk wrote: »
    It sounds like your bottom bracket might need looking at. It's doable as a DIY job if you're that way inclined. Otherwise head to your LBS.

Thanks crosstownk. I left the bike down earlier to the LBS. Hopefully they can figure out what is causing it. Its a very loud noise that sounds like the noise you get from a car engine after you turn it off. Might be the bearings or the bottom bracket might need to be regreased. Should know in a day or 2 when its ready for colleciton

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

billyhead wrote: »
    Thanks crosstownk. I left the bike down earlier to the LBS. Hopefully they can figure out what is causing it. Its a very loud noise that sounds like the noise you get from a car engine after you turn it off. Might be the bearings or the bottom bracket might need to be regreased. Should know in a day or 2 when its ready for colleciton
    Loud noise after you turn off your car? Sounds like you need to get that looked at too... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Sounds like the same noise/feeling I get when it's time to change me chain. Just 2.5 years though :-/ Try clean and lube it?

Loud noise after you turn off your car? Sounds like you need to get that looked at too... :/

I meant the noise you hear when the engine is cooling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I meant the noise you hear when the engine is cooling.

That irregular 'tick tick' sound? Classic bottom bracket symptom. Although it could also be a pedal issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Steo M

I have a boardman road bike that is running well but there is an unusual rattle noise when I turn the left pedal or apply force. It sounds like its coming from the crank. The bike is nearly 2.5 years old. What could be causing this and will I need to get it checked over in the local bike shop?

Is it only from the rotation of the left pedal as you apply pressure? That's probably were I'd start & would be a cheap fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

Sounds like the experience I had with my bottom bracket, age is about the same too.

I'll have you know my LBS wanted to sell me a BB for about three times as much as it was on Wiggle. Be aware.

stas wrote: »
    Sounds like the experience I had with my bottom bracket, age is about the same too.

I'll have you know my LBS wanted to sell me a BB for about three times as much as it was on Wiggle. Be aware.

just an update on this. The bearings were completely worn and they were replaced. 60 euro was the cost to replace them and grease them aswell as cleaning out any gunk build up in the bottom bracket area.

Advertisement