Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do Driving test in your own car or instructors car?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭

Hi just wondering which car be better to do the driving test in, your own car no dual control or the instructors car where there is dual control?

Would it be very much a mixture of pros and cons for choosing either car to do a driving test in?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Do it in your own car if you have it. You're used to your own one. And you wont pay an extra charge to do so. I can literally think of no reason to do the test in any car other than your own being honest. Unless yours was broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,213 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Or if you are like a guy I worked with who failed having turned up o his test is a 911 Turbo (less than a year old). He was 55 and a yank who was able to drive on hi US licence for a year. Maybe it's not the only reason he failed but h passed next time around in a manual C4.

In fairness he was a complete knob so that may have had something to do with. I "suffered" schadenfreude 3 months later when he had to go back to the US and took a massive bath on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Dual controls don't matter one bit in a test - the tester isn't going to use them to stop you making mistakes!

Your own car (if you have one) and have been practicing in it, then you're accustomed to it - biting point, how the pedals feel, everything. Makes it that little bit easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I did my test in my own car, but I also did most of my driving in my own car too. Unless you never use your own car and all of your driving time is in the instructor's, you should use your own I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

I generally urge people to use their own car. As a driving instructor I could earn more money short term by people using my car. But it is usually better to use your own car.
    If however, your own car does not meet the standards required for the test or you feel more comfortable and confident in the instructors car then use their car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Apprentice Mechanic

do it in your own car as you know it alot better than a strange car that you toke a few lessons passed 1st time with my car doing the driving test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I did mine in the instructors car for a few points

I did not have my own car at the time.

i did not want to get insured on the aul lads car (1.6 vectra) for a pricey test.

i done my few lessons and 2 pre-tests in the instructors car and was comfortable with it and engine bay (very very similar to my dads vectra)

but if you have your own car and insurance (proof too !) then i dont see why not once your comfortable and confident in it and once everything is up to scratch in it. (including the lights !)

if you have your own, use it

if not, instructors car that you know well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

robbie_998 wrote: »
    I did mine in the instructors car for a few points

I did not have my own car at the time.

i did not want to get insured on the aul lads car (1.6 vectra) for a pricey test.

i done my few lessons and 2 pre-tests in the instructors car and was comfortable with it and engine bay (very very similar to my dads vectra)

but if you have your own car and insurance (proof too !) then i dont see why not once your comfortable and confident in it and once everything is up to scratch in it. (including the lights !)

if you have your own, use it

if not, instructors car that you know well.

how much is it to use instructors car? do they let provisionals use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

case885 wrote: »
    how much is it to use instructors car? do they let provisionals use it?

They obviously leave provisionals use it, the point of the driving test is to get the full licence ;) but back to your question it will depend, different instructors have different prices, and some instructors will not let you use their car unless you did lessons with them, but take this guy for instance
    "ASAP Driving School" so far i have done 11/12 EDT lessons with him, as well as 3 extra lessons (cork) on his site he has this price for his car hire
    Car hire for Driving Test, plus, Three (90 minute each). Driving Lessons €195 pre-paid.
    just ask around and find out the cheapest, best thing about using your instructors car is you should be used to it (12 EDT lessons is 12 hours of driving) thats good practice in a car :/

wow your talking about over 500 euro altogether so.. pricey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭FortyMedals

case885 wrote: »
    wow your talking about over 500 euro altogether so.. pricey
    Nope it's 195€ for all 3 lessons and car hire :) thats a pretty good deal

Nope it's 195€ for all 3 lessons and car hire :) thats a pretty good deal

what about the other 9 lessons you have to do?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Please don't drag up old threads. You're more than welcome to start a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement