Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Elections - Exit polls / First impressions / Constituency Results

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Wow Labour taking a hammering in the North East!! This brings Sunderland South into play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

efb wrote: »
    Washington and Sunderland West: Lab Hold
    Rated as the 11th safest Labour seat in England, 28th in the UK and an 11.6 swing to the conservatives.

Massive swing, bigger than the swing that went to Labour in 1997. Having said that, it's easy to do a protest vote for the conservatives when you don't expect them to win. Worth noting that a swing like that replicated nationwide would give the conservatives a whack of a majority and the biggest national swing in 65 years.

I know people are asking about ukip and the BNP. A national swing won't affect them getting a seat one way or the other so basically no-one knows. Definitely a swing one way or the other in places like Sunderland won't give us any idea of a possible rise in votes for these parties in places like Buckingham, Barking, Stoke, the main targets for those two parties, or Brighton Pavilion, being targeted by the Greens. In these constituencies, they're hoping to buck any national trend and get a vote that is a local exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

PM David Cameron, time to sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

nkay1985 wrote: »
    What can people be thinking over there? 1900 people voting for the BNP like.

That's why living in a democracy is great, you have the chance to either vote for them...or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

sceptre wrote: »
    Having said that, it's easy to do a protest vote for the conservatives when you don't expect them to win.

Exactly. We need a result from a marginal seat to get a better idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭rameire

Question
    is it one constituency one seat
    so roughly 1 seat per 55,000.

and in realtion to the swing from labour to conservative, the count should be well in favour for conservative and give them a majority gov, i am guessing
    con 331
    labour 232
    lib dem 57
    other 30

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

I suppose its possibile that the the swing against LAB will be biggest in the places where they have safe seats. Voter might be inclinded to give them bloddy nose, safe in the knowledge that they will still win the seat.

Very odd to see a 5% swing from Lab to BNP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye Tory (working) Majority, high end of 320-330

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Somewhat off topic but counting in Foyle and East Derry postponed due to a security scare.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8666316.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Surely no way Labour can get over 250 seats based on this swing!?

False exit polls I think!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suspect device in Derry near count centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sunderland South going to be close apparently. Could tell a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Lewisham council have kept the polls open after 10pm, due to massive turnout!

loldog wrote: »
    I don't see why, if people don't turn up on time it's their own fault.
    There's been an inconsistency in the way the returning officers have treated queues. Up to a few minutes ago, people were still queuing outside in Ealing and were apparently going to be allowed to vote. In Sheffield, the returning officer closed the doors and the polls. In other places, they got smart and let people into the room to queue to vote and closed the doors.

What appears to have happened is that far more people turned up to vote in some centres than were expected. Some polling stations couldn't cope and hence people were queueing for a long time, some past 10pm.

The regulation in UK elections is that the doors should be closed by 10 and anyone inside the room queueing at 10 can vote. The smarter returning officers obeyed the letter of the rules by letting people in, slamming the door and letting people vote. It's the inconsistency that people will complain about. The complaints will be reasonable on that basis, whether they'll be upheld is another matter.

Sunderland central

Lab 19,495
    Tory 12,770
    LB 7,191

Turnout 57%

Swing to Torys 4.8%

Jesus, not even close. 7,000 odd difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Sunderland South going to be close apparently. Could tell a lot.

Labour hold easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

-5% Lab
    +5% Con though

sceptre wrote: »
    There's been an inconsistency in the way the returning officers have treated queues. Up to a few minutes ago, people were still queuing outside in Ealing and were apparently going to be allowed to vote. In Sheffield, the returning officer closed the doors and the polls. In other places, they got smart and let people into the room to queue to vote and closed the doors.

What appears to have happened is that far more people turned up to vote in some centres than were expected. Some polling stations couldn't cope and hence people were queueing for a long time, some past 10pm.

The regulation in UK elections is that the doors should be closed by 10 and anyone inside the room queueing at 10 can vote. The smarter returning officers obeyed the letter of the rules by letting people in, slamming the door and letting people vote. It's the inconsistency that people will complain about. The complaints will be reasonable on that basis, whether they'll be upheld is another matter.

If Mandy's point about Labour voters coming out later in the day to vote I'd imagine a strong challenge could be made. Not sure how provable it could be.

Again BNP poll nearly 2000 votes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

What can people be thinking over there? 1900 people voting for the BNP like.

It really is sad.

Still nothing important to come through yet tbh, safe Labour seats will obviously have a bigger swing.

Anyone else get the feeling all Conservatives who're going to be on tv or radio have been told to repeat "Labour have been rejected by the people" over and over again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

What is it about election results that's so gripping?

I love it!

Insurrection in Sheffield, barred voters not letting the returning officer out of the building!

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I suppose its possibile that the the swing against LAB will be biggest in the places where they have safe seats. Voter might be inclinded to give them bloddy nose, safe in the knowledge that they will still win the seat.
    Yeah, I've said the same and I agree. Who knows really, especially with Sunderland Central only giving a 5% swing to the conservatives, which projected nationally would give them rather less than 300.

Dangerous to project a few local seats nationally - there's enough variance in Sunderland on its own to show the danger of that. Even the BNP vote is 1% or 5% in Sunderland, depending on the individual constituency.
    Anyone else get the feeling all Conservatives who're going to be on tv or radio have been told to repeat "Labour have been rejected by the people" over and over again!
    Oh completely, just what I was thinking in post 32, glad it's not just me:)

Labour's David Miliband is now on the BBC pushing the view that if you have an overall majority, you have the right to a monopoly on power, if you don't, you don't. Precisely what I reckoned they were pushing towards earlier, they're all performing to form based on the script they've been handed. And Lim Dems half-grinning despite a poor exit poll, willing to do a deal but saying nothing.

Unless the exit poll is dramatically wrong and the conservatives get an overall majority, these are the opposing views you'll hear for the next four days from the parties.
    What is it about election results that's so gripping?

I love it!
    It's like the only watchable part of the eurovision multiplied by 10. But with better singers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Des wrote: »
    -5% Lab
    +5% Con though

The lines were re-drawn for this constituency and now included areas that are more strongly Tory.

It is not to suprising to see magnified swings in areas that are seen as safe seats IMO. If you are a supporter of a party who has the large majority your incentive to go vote is not as large as a supporter of a minority party as the result is almost a fore gone conclusion. It is to difficult to tell how it will all pan out with only 3 seats declared

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Insurrection in Sheffield, barred voters not letting the returning officer out of the building!

Do Mandy and co. have their hands involved in this mess?

Again BNP poll nearly 2000 votes.

Bizarrely they polled exaclty 1,913 votes in the last two constituencies.

Some have run out of ballot papers???

Mandy was on the BBC condeming the failure to allow voting ("just get them inside the station and then close the doors" he said)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

This number 326 is constantly being put out there, but with Sinn Fein abstaining 323 should do the job (point may have been mentioned)

The BBC presenter took a very dim view of DUP demands for NI favoritism!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No, The Electoral Commission is completely separate and independent from the parliament

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/

Doubt it - they're not players there. Nick Clegg went to the polling stations to apologise to the people who couldn't vote (not that it's anything like his fault) - it's his constituency.

I assumed you meant part responsible for the blockade/sit in - as greendom said, they don't run the election.

Some constituencies being short ballot papers is actually shocking. That's beyond incompetent.

mike65 wrote: »
    Mandy was on the BBC condeming the failure to allow voting ("just get them inside the station and then close the doors" he said)

More voters nearly always favour opposition parties though! Something extra-fishy here I would think.

This number 226 is constantly being put out there, but with Sinn Fein abstaining 223 should do the job (point may have been mentioned)

The BBC presenter took a very dim view of DUP demands for NI favoritism!

Not 326? Can the exit polls be so wrong that a swing of 21 seats to Conservatives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Very sad that polling stations cannot cope with a high turn out, and high would appear to be 50-60%. I think normal turnout is around 40-45%.

In fairness, if you don't get home from work until 7-8 you may not be able to get to the voting station until 8:30 and if there is a long queue then I guess you might not be able to get in.

Scuffles in Islington*! Green party talking of a challange.

*very polite scuffles of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Paxman still being the consummate professional.

This number 226 is constantly being put out there, but with Sinn Fein abstaining 223 should do the job (point may have been mentioned)

+100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Excellent coverage on the net on BBC World News on Facebook. Going to be a long night for ex-pats. I think Cameron will scrape in.:cool:

Milliband not giving an inch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

My bad. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

More voters nearly always favour opposition parties though! Something extra-fishy here I would think.

Absolutely not - just an administrative cock-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

madmaggie wrote: »
    I think Cameron will scrape in.:cool:

Agreed, with the help of the Libdems + the UUP (or DUP) :D

greendom wrote: »
    Absolutely not - just an administrative cock-up.

This appears to be happening in several areas of the country though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Camelot wrote: »

If they could get the LibDems they won't go near the Unionists.

Milliband not giving an inch!

Milliband is a sneaky chap. A lot spoken, very little said.

Camelot wrote: »

I'm not sure how much use UUP will be and I wonder whether Cameron can get into bed with both the UUP and the DUP given their differences on the devolution of policing etc

This appears to be happening in several areas of the country though.
    Yeah, but the increase in voters is across the country. The "fault" (in a general sense) is also with the people who voted later but they're also basing it on what they managed to do last time - one expects to be able to vote if you arrive with 20 minutes to go. I rarely turn up to polling stations with more than five minutes or ten minutes to go, I'm usually aware that there might be a problem. The obvious solution though would have been precisely what Mandelson mentioned - close the doors as you're supposed to do but get them all in the hall so they can vote. It's never arisen before as a problem so I suspect that the returning officers didn't really know what to do. It may be easier to ascribe it to malice but it's easier to explain and more likely explainable by stupidity (insert inexperience, idiocy, whatever you like).

And while an increase in voters typically suits the opposition, this election has been so close that everyone knows there's a greater chance that their vote could count and make a difference. That gets an increase in voters for all parties. It's been almost two decades since people have had that feeling about their vote in a national UK election and that makes a difference.

The initial exit polls from NI show no seat for the UUP.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how much use UUP will be and I wonder whether Cameron can get into bed with both the UUP and the DUP given their differences on the devolution of policing etc

UUP are, effectively, the Tory party in NI.

Plus they will be lucky to win 1 seat. I can't see them being a big consideration. The DUP hold all the aces at the moments.

Advertisement