Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats with all the shaking at preachings

Options
  • 06-12-2007 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I've been known on occasion to flick on the God channel and oftentimes there is a preacher doing his thing, preaching loudly about God while the crowd he is preaching to are doing all kinds of shaking motions, shaking their head and hands, some of them even wriggling about on the floor like a fish out of water. What is the story there, why are they shaking ? what is supposed to be happening to them ? have you ever been involved in a shaking fit and if so what were you feeling ? what was going through your mind ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sorry, but that's just hilarious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I strongly suspect it's some kind of mass hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Try EWTN instead, Sky channel 769...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

MooseJam wrote: »
    I've been known on occasion to flick on the God channel and oftentimes there is a preacher doing his thing, preaching loudly about God while the crowd he is preaching to are doing all kinds of shaking motions, shaking their head and hands, some of them even wriggling about on the floor like a fish out of water. What is the story there, why are they shaking ? what is supposed to be happening to them ? have you ever been involved in a shaking fit and if so what were you feeling ? what was going through your mind ?

You'll find that they think they are experiencing the power of The Holy Spirit. i suppose if they are to be believed, the holy spirit just makes an appearence to send people delirious, nothing constructive. Or maybe it is actually present, shaking them all and saying, 'Cop on to yourselves ye deluded nut jobs'. Or maybe not:D Its loosely based on a scripture whereby after a room of christians recieved holy spirit, they were filled with joy and speaking in tongues. As they left the building, onlookers asked if they were drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

i went to a healing service before and people were like lying down all of a sudden but not in a dramatic way but kind of peaceful, while other people prayed over them. when i went up nothing happened really (in a sense) but the people praying over me where making strange noises. i think they were speaking in tongues (maybe, never heard people speak in tongues before).

And it was in a Catholic church not an evangelical movement or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Ah the God Channel. One of my favorite things to stick on when i am bored for entertainment value.

Its actually quite scary to watch some of the evangelists trying to get people to donate money...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

its pretty horrible to think people would have to pay to have the faith given to them... ( i know the church does that but in most cases its just for the upkeep of the church)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Agent J wrote: »
    Its actually quite scary to watch some of the evangelists trying to get people to donate money...

I think its great! It means that you can immediately see them for the money grabbing phonies they are.
    On the flip side though, its terrible that the vulnerable and ignorant are taken in by these phonies:( And also that they turn our Messiah into a product to be sold:mad:

I suppose religion is big money. Look at the sale of indulgences by the RCC. Look at scientology etc. Said it before and I'll say it again, Religion is completely different from Faith. I hate religion, and will not weep when it is dead. My faith in God however, thats a different story. God created man, man created religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There are good reasons why the Bible commands us to "test everything" and "preserve sound doctrine", and warns us repeatedly about false teachers. While Benny Hinn and similar TV ministeries may have some good things to say, we must remember that Satan does not feed us poison outright, he hides it in the meat. I cannot understand how any professed Christian could be so gullible as to fall for these guys, the following is like something taken out of a circus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvU-DislkI

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Once the Preachers have taken all the cash from the faithfull they then get them to shake and roll about so any loose change in their pockets falls out, later to be collected up and added to Church funds to help spread the Good News.

• Advertisement

Once the Preachers have taken all the cash from the faithfull they then get them to shake and roll about so any loose change in their pockets falls out, later to be collected up and added to Church funds to help spread the Good /QUOTE]Some televanglists insist in having their own corporate Jet to spread the Good News! (Jesus travelled on a donkey) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D74VHiVLROM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Once the Preachers have taken all the cash from the faithfull they then get them to shake and roll about so any loose change in their pockets falls out, later to be collected up and added to Church funds to help spread the Good News.

Thanks Depeche, this gave me a well needed laugh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Some televanglists insist in having their own corporate Jet to spread the Gospel! (Jesus travelled on a donkey) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D74VHiVLROM

Haven't time to look on you tube, but I recall going to see Jesse Du Plantis(not sure of spelling) a few years back and was horrified at his 'wealth and prosperity' teaching.
    He told us about his private jet with the words 'Jesus loves Jesse' printed inside it! I obviously didn't help to line his pockets and I ran outta there!

Splendour wrote: »
    Haven't time to look on you tube, but I recall going to see Jesse Du Plantis(not sure of spelling) a few years back and was horrified at his 'wealth and prosperity' teaching.
    He told us about his private jet with the words 'Jesus loves Jesse' printed inside it! I obviously didn't help to line his pockets and I ran outta there!
    Heres another interesting one on Benny Hinn. Aparently his ministeries have been trying to censor Utube to have such posts removed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUyPjeIFKug

Advertisement