Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phantom Islands

Options
  • 07-12-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭

Was watching Ancient aliens again, i know it's awful after season 1, but they finally got back onto the whole Hy-Brasil thing with phantom islands in the latest episode.

It's actually quite interesting having our own phantom island which is part of our myths and legends, and oddly enough even some history behind it.

Here's the wiki page for a whole lot of others, suggest reading about Sandy Island as it's probably the most recent one to be "undiscovered".

i have some vague memories of a 4th class teacher talking about this myth, and he mentioned "big black rabbits" living on the island. Back then i thought that'd be deadly, i have to visit there someday :) but i've not heard anything more than that about it since then. has anyone got any actual legends myths or history on Hy Brasil besides whats already on that wiki page?

Any info at all would be appreciated. Looking for meaty details here btw :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

I lived in Galway for years and I remember looking at many a fishermans map over the shelf in the bay as at certain times of the year when the tide hits it it is a great wave,it's odd but Hy-brasil is listed on a few of the maps I looked at AFAIK it is an outcrop of rocks and not an island.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

that's the odd part, when those old maps were being drawn up, it must have been at a high enough elevation that the cartographers would have noted it as an isle rather than rocky shallows.

I'd guess maybe natural saltwater erosion and rising sea levels have had a toll on these phantom islands, but as far as the myths go, it was supposedly inhabited which in turn would suggest it was high enough from the rising tides to be habitable - which would mean it would have to weather the full force of the Atlantic too.

I'll have to watch that AA episode again, because there was some description of it as being "oddly round" in shape - i know they're suggesting it's a UFO, and i don't really subscribe to that, but a mound shaped island wouldn't be unnatural and depending on what kind of rock an earth was on it (if any) it may have simply eroded into the sea.

I also got the impression the "island" was further out to sea than you'd be able to see from the mainland? You might be right though, sure it's not there right now :)

Hy-Brasil features at number 4 in this list:

http://listverse.com/2013/02/26/10-phantom-islands/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

mabye unwater volcano

Advertisement