Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

clutch control?

• 21-11-2012 5:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Bit of a problem here and I can't seem to shake it off really, even after 3 years of driving:eek:..

I seem to have a problem when takin off in a car. A friend reckons I 'go to high on the clutch' Anyway most times I take off in first, I seem to always get a slight shudder, I just assumbed everyone drove like that until I was in a mates car a noticed you can't even feel him takin off from a red light

I had this problem when I started to drive, My drivin instructor actually gave up in the end:o He said I could get it right for a while and then just lose it altogether.

I have driving for 3 years now as I have said but it just annoys me that i an't get it 100% right.

Is there any tips out there or am I a lost cause?:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

carzony wrote: »
    Bit of a problem here and I can't seem to shake it off really, even after 3 years of driving:eek:..

I seem to have a problem when takin off in a car. A friend reckons I 'go to high on the clutch' Anyway most times I take off in first, I seem to always get a slight shudder, I just assumbed everyone drove like that until I was in a mates car a noticed you can't even feel him takin off from a red light

I had this problem when I started to drive, My drivin instructor actually gave up in the end:o He said I could get it right for a while and then just lose it altogether.

I have driving for 3 years now as I have said but it just annoys me that i an't get it 100% right.

Is there any tips out there or am I a lost cause?:eek:

is it the same car for 3 years? Your clutch may be gone or have too much travel on it. If it is the same car you'll need someone to look at it.

If it's been different cars. The shudder is due to you not giving enough power when taking off and then not slipping the clutch to counter the lack of power. Try giving it some more revs before pulling off and as soon as the car starts to move hold the clutch at the point for a bit longer than you usually do.

The easiest solution is to get rid of the 3rd pedal, but that will have a cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You should be accelerating and releasing the clutch at the same time. It should be one fluid motion.

So gently apply pressure to the accelerator, and at the same time release the clutch. Doing this properly will result in a smooth take off, otherwise you'll have that judder you mention.

I doubt it's the clutch, if it was it would have been gone a lot sooner than now if it's been going on for 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Off the top of my head; Too little gas engine struggles or lots of gas but too fast off clutch and wheel spin or you're in third gear or.....
    Book a one off lesson with an ADI (Not the instructor that gave up) to fine tune your driving now that you have your full licence.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sounds like after you get the biting point, you are continuing to accellorate gently/smoothly and then just lifting off the clutch too fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I doubt it's the clutch, if it was it would have been gone a lot sooner than now if it's been going on for 3 years.

It's not the same car, I always change my cars every few months, Longest I have owned a car is about 8 months, which was my VW Polo, it had 99 thousand on the clock with the original clutch in it. would the clutch have lasted 8 months if the car hadnt been driven right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Del2005 wrote: »

If it's been different cars. The shudder is due to you not giving enough power when taking off and then not slipping the clutch to counter the lack of power. Try giving it some more revs before pulling off and as soon as the car starts to move hold the clutch at the point for a bit longer than you usually do.

The easiest solution is to get rid of the 3rd pedal, but that will have a cost.

I'd rather not change to auto, I have driven them before and I prefer to change gears myself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Go to some quite place and practice just leaving the clutch out to biting point in and out to get a feel of the pedal. Dont leave it out too far or the engine will stall.While taking off from a standstill, the purpose of using the accelerator is to stop the car stalling and once under way, its for to pick up speed.

As you feel the biting point, gently give her a little welly power on the gas (dont keep revving any more)and continue to leave the clutch out gently.You may see/hear some people revving the nuts on the engine while going nowhere, dont do this.I think your instructor is not very good.You are paying him/her to teach you and just "giving up" is not the way to do it.It should come naturally after a while.

As was already said, you could do the test in an auto, but you can only drive them then and not a manual.If it was me that found it hard to get the hang of it for ages and had to do the test in an auto, I would see that as a failure, (not that there is anything wrong with an auto) so by doing in a manual you will be able to drive both after the test.Actually I would love to drive an auto to see what its like, good luck OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

For good clutch control, try leaving your heel on the floor while letting the clutch up. Its more comfortable to press the side of the pedal instead of the centre.

Lift your foot while resting your heel on the floor to get the biting point, and then slide your heel back to let the pedal up all the way.

Advertisement