Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Meeting of Cultures in Africa

Options
  • 18-12-2007 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭

Last week I was in Cameroon, preaching at evangelistic services in the evenings and training pastors during the daytime.

I had a fascinating encounter with the Fon, or local chief over the region. I had to go to his palace and wait in his reception room in order to ask his permission to conduct the services on his patch. My Cameroonian friends gave me a lengthy list of instructions about how to approach the Fon (nobody outside of his family is allowed to touch him, he never removes his red cap, you can't speak to him until he beckons for you to approach his throne etc).

It turned out the Fon is a keen fan of Premiership football so we got off on a good foot talking about Arsenal's prospects for the title this season - and he readily granted permission to hold the meetings.

Then I realised that he had a physical sickness that was affecting his legs, so I asked if I could pray for him. He agreed. I said, "I know the tradition is that nobody is allowed to touch the Fon, but the Bible says I should lay hands on someone when I pray for them, so what does the Fon want me to do?" He thought for a moment and said, "That will be OK". Then he amazed everybody by taking off his red hat. All his courtiers were looking at him in amazement, but he said, "When a Fon meets a greater Fon then he takes his hat off. So shouldn't I take my hat off if we are praying in the presence of the Fon of Fons.

It was a nice moment where we were able to show mutual respect for one another's cultures without forcing anything on each other. Now the Fon has agreed to give a piece of land for a Church building to be constructed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Was he healed? Oh and welcome home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

JimiTime wrote: »
    Was he healed? Oh and welcome home.

Thanks. I didn't see any evidence of healing, but I'll make sure I go and check up on him when I go back in a few months. But next on my itinerary is Zimbabwe in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

I am curious how you feel about emadloti, our ancestors, how do they fit with your theology? Christianity in Africa is a very broad Church :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I am curious how you feel about emadloti, our ancestors, how do they fit with your theology? Christianity in Africa is a very broad Church :)

Isn't that a Swaziland thing?

The Catholic Church often just gave the ancestral spirits the names of Saints & carried on the old traditionals (like they did with shrines and holy wells in Ireland).

The problem for Christians is how to show respect and thanks for the good things that ancestors have passed on to us - yet without worshipping them. I think our Western culture can learn much from Africans in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

PDN wrote: »
    Isn't that a Swaziland thing?

The Catholic Church often just gave the ancestral spirits the names of Saints & carried on the old traditionals (like they did with shrines and holy wells in Ireland).

The problem for Christians is how to show respect and thanks for the good things that ancestors have passed on to us - yet without worshipping them. I think our Western culture can learn much from Africans in this regard.

Everywhere there are Bantu peoples there are the ancestors, it's not just the Swazis although emadloti is a siSwati word. The Catholic Church in Africa has done exactly as you say and accomodates ancestor veneration. Some Christian Churches on the continent are totally against whilst others tolerate and some such as the Zionists celebrate. I like the idea that the ancestors are present and we must take account of their wishes. It is a good thing for social cohesion. I don't like the way some Christians are trying to stop Africans from having this meaningful relationship with their dead. I think always if you must drink you must spill some out for the ancestors :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement