Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good reaction

Options
  • 25-05-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭

Just saw some colourful, bohemian dude on Grafton Street wanting to give out CD / DVDs. He was telling me it was all about his group. I thought he was a musician so I was interested so I said I'd take it. Then he said can you give me a couple of quid and I said well I've no change and asked him a bit more about his group. He told me it was a radical Christian one.
    I smiled and said: "mate, I'm an atheist so it would be waste on me".

We both laughed and I moved on.

Great to meet someone who just accepted I was an atheist and didn't bother trying to bible bash or "save" me. I wished him good luck and we parted on good terms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd totally have taken it for my amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Zillah wrote: »
    I'd totally have taken it for my amusement.

I was staying in some gaf in Edinburgh at the weekend. It was an official B&B, just someone's house who rented out a room every now and again. Bible in the room, Bible in the Kitchen. How would you handle that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I was staying in some gaf in Edinburgh at the weekend. It was an official B&B, just someone's house who rented out a room every now and again. Bible in the room, Bible in the Kitchen. How would you handle that?

Sounds like most Hotels I've ever been in...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

How would you handle that?
    Swap them with korans?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just saw some colourful, bohemian dude on Grafton Street wanting to give out CD / DVDs. He was telling me it was all about his group. I thought he was a musician so I was interested so I said I'd take it. Then he said can you give me a couple of quid and I said well I've no change and asked him a bit more about his group. He told me it was a radical Christian one.
    I smiled and said: "mate, I'm an atheist so it would be waste on me".

We both laughed and I moved on.

Great to meet someone who just accepted I was an atheist and didn't bother trying to bible bash or "save" me. I wished him good luck and we parted on good terms.

Seriously, it might have been Jesus!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've put them in the bin before. In a hotel, not a B&B. That might be a bit rude :pac:

Malari wrote: »
    I've put them in the bin before. In a hotel, not a B&B. That might be a bit rude :pac:

I wrote on a slip of paper "This book is probably not true" and then placed it at the beginning of Genesis, one time for one left in a hotel.

But this was someone's house so I just ignored them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

robindch wrote: »
    Swap them with korans?

Or copies of The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Malari wrote: »

... You can't put a book in a bin! that's almost a sin... like burning books, or writing in the margins ... or bending the spine ...

I like the idea of slipping in slips of paper with notes on it though. I'll bring a block of post-it notes with me next time I'm going to be in a hotel... maybe some pamphlets on other religions and humanism... just to round things out a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

kiffer wrote: »
    ... You can't put a book in a bin! that's almost a sin... like burning books, or writing in the margins ... or bending the spine ...

Yes! You understand!:D:D

• Advertisement

I like the idea of slipping in slips of paper with notes on it though. I'll bring a block of post-it notes with me next time I'm going to be in a hotel... maybe some pamphlets on other religions and humanism... just to round things out a little.
    If there was one book that represented my atheist views well, I'd put on the post it, the name of the book and suggest they read it.

While they are some good atheists books out there, there isn't one that I feel really captures all the arguments in an intelligent manner. Closest is "Why I am not Christian?" by BR.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Agreed. I have a thing about people abusing books myself, be it factual books or even works of fiction like the bible.

MrP

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

MrPudding wrote: »
    Agreed. I have a thing about people abusing books myself, be it factual books or even works of fiction like the bible.

MrP

Ooooh, sweet burn. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I feel this way about books too, but it's only the bible, it's not a real book. Something tells me it wouldn't have stayed there beyond room-cleaning time.

Advertisement