Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Wars III movie - Irish classification?

• 16-05-2005 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before in this forum/board.
    I don't have a newspaper handy and was wondering what
    the classification on the new Star Wars III (revenge of sith)
    movie is in Ireland. I read on google that it got a PG13 in
    USA - is it PG12 over here or just PG ?

I'm asking because my young son is asking about the movie
    and I have a hunch it is 12+.

--ifc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭crang

i think that it is a pg movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

its 12A whatever that means

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

12A is the UK film rating. - doesnt apply here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Gonzo wrote:
    12A is the UK film rating. - doesnt apply here
    Yep. I'm pretty sure I saw PG on a poster here.

Our censors have always been a bit eaiser on violence than in the UK... it's the sex that gets their goat here...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just saw it there, but there was no cert at the beginning. Hmm.. even if it's 12PG he can still go see it as long as you accompany him. Even if you don't, he'd probably get by.

• Advertisement

yeah, I checked again, its PG ok, I got a news letter from the UGC last week and they had Star Wars down for 12A,but that changed it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Thanks for the answers.
    He is only four and a half. I'd suspect it is a bit dark for him.
    I'm sure it got 13PG in US for a reason.

--ifc

ifconfig wrote:
    Thanks for the answers.
    He is only four and a half. I'd suspect it is a bit dark for him.
    I'm sure it got 13PG in US for a reason.
    Hmmm, there's an article here with Lucas commenting on the movie's darkness. Having seen it, it is fairly dark (for a SW movie anyway) but there are still humorous moments, principally from little Yoda. There's one or two more violent scenes that could potentially scare kids but I guess it's at your discretion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

My ticket said PG, but that could be preliminary.
    I can see why it's said to be darker, but to be honest there's not that much terrible violence or gore; at least not worse than the other films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Jesus H Christ people: there's no 12PG anymore... it changed to 12A on January 1 2005. Get your Irish cinema certs straight!

Read all about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Why did they do that?
    Doesnt it make more sense to have 12pg and 15pg, than 15pg and 12A?

Blisterman wrote:
    Why did they do that?
    Doesnt it make more sense to have 12pg and 15pg, than 15pg and 12A?

Apparently they confused people... though I would imagine the new certs are even less self-explanatory. The problem was with the IFCO now explaining to the public what the certs meant in the first place.

To answer the original poster, Revenge of the Sith has been given a PG rating for 'Stylized violence. Some scenes might alarm younger children.'.

Revenge of the Sith on www.ifco.ie

'PG' = parental guidance
    but what does 'A' stand for?

I think the 'A' is for Accompanied. The problem with '15PG' and what not was a result of 'Bad Santa'. Parents, unable to actually bother checking out anything for themselves, saw the 'PG' element and ignored the '15' beside it and thus thought it was a suitable movie for their kids. As a result, IFCO decided to remove the 'PG' bit and have '12A' and '15A' instead, hoping to get across the idea that anyone unde those ages needs to be accompanied for a reason. Knowing the idiot public, I'm not sure if it'll be successful.

ixoy wrote:
    Knowing the idiot public, I'm not sure if it'll be successful.
    I agree with you, and what I can't stand is why ppl actually brought their kids who still believe in santa to a film called Bad Santa and has Billy Bob Thornton playing St. Dick. I mean Billy Bob isn't exactly how you picture your favourite grandfather, is he? and the adds were nough to tell me that it was going to show the dark side to Santa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well 12pg makes more sense to me than 12a. Plus it says on the posters what it means. Maybe they should try and raise awareness of the rating system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

For my info - can anyone who has kids and has now seen the film please comment on its suitability for children?
    I have a seven year old and a six year old. I understand that ol' Ani gets pretty badly chopped up.

Thanks.

For my info - can anyone who has kids and has now seen the film please comment on its suitability for children?

Try Screenit.com's parental review of the film. The nature of such a review contains spoilers, so beware. Personally, I would not bring a young child to see this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

For a 6 and 7 year old I would not recommend it. It's far darker than the previous 2 (amputations, ahoy).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I went with my boyfriend and his 9 year old brother, he absolutely loved it and didnt seem to be scared by it at all. He said it was the best film he'd ever seen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Thanks all.

Advertisement