Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you do most of your boozing at home or pub

Options
  • 27-11-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Just watching prime time and they are yapping on about pubs in rural ireland

So far a pub landlord has said that he needs to "bribe" people to drink in his pub by music..like WTF

Then we have had a mouth from VFI say that 60% of boozing is now done at home in a tone as if the people drinking at home or animals or that they should be ashamec

I have always hated VFI ..is the demise of rural trade not also their fault

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Most of my drinking is done at a friends house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

In the park listening to mark McCabe maniac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Down the Dodder with the boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Pub. I enjoy the craic.

Not one of those blarey annoying loud sh*tes music places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

TBF its quite boring drinking at home/in a rural pub midweek (and most weekends)....the few times I would actually drink is in town on a sat/sunday night

if I was to drink at home...with the drink driving laws I would be stuckj at home alone bored and drunk (im a massiuve lightweight:o )
    I struggle to see the fun in it tbh....I know many people love there bottle of wine etc mid week....just never got into it myself:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I drink cans of warm Dutch gold, then throw them at school children calling them gowls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Pub. I enjoy the craic.

Not one of those blarey annoying loud sh*tes music places.

That's my reasoning as well. I just don't get some people who are mad to "get drunk" of a weekend but then bemoan the price of drink in a pub and thus drink at home. I would be of the belief that if your in the mood for a few drinks, then money shouldn't really be an obstacle and it's far more healthier at least from a social perspective to be out and about in a pub than to be at home doing so (quite often by yourself).

It's not like drinking is compulsory, or that a night out is going to break the bank (serious lifestyle changes are in order if it does).

The only night of the year I drink at home is Superbowl Sunday :D

TBF its quite boring drinking at home/in a rural pub midweek (and most weekends)....the few times I would actually drink is in town on a sat/sunday night

if I was to drink at home...with the drink driving laws I would be stuckj at home alone bored and drunk (im a massiuve lightweight:o )
    I struggle to see the fun in it tbh....I know many people love there bottle of wine etc mid week....just never got into it myself:)

I have drank a few cans just playing Xbox or watching a movie or looking at pictures on reddit to post on the ylyl thread.

I wouldn't get drunk myself at all. 4 or 6 cans gets myself in a nice mood especially if I have no work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Specialun wrote: »
    So far a pub landlord has said that he needs to "bribe" people to drink in his pub by music..like WTF

A better way would be to switch the music off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

All my drinking is done in the pub.

Don't drink at home.

Might nurse a bottle fora few hours if at a friends house, or a glass of wine at a resturant.

• Advertisement

That's my reasoning as well. I just don't get some people who are mad to "get drunk" of a weekend but then bemoan the price of drink in a pub and thus drink at home. I would be of the belief that if your in the mood for a few drinks, then money shouldn't really be an obstacle and it's far more healthier at least from a social perspective to be out and about in a pub than to be at home doing so (quite often by yourself).

It's not like drinking is compulsory, or that a night out is going to break the bank (serious lifestyle changes are in order if it does).

The only night of the year I drink at home is Superbowl Sunday :D

Pre drinking with friends is key to not spending 100 euro. Buy your 6/8 cans, drink them chatting in your friends, looking at boobs, then head out to. Don't need to drink anymore or you can buy 2/3 pints in the pub and still have the craic but in comfort and quietness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Surely you can invite someone to unbore you?

I never really got into drinking in pubs much, particularly not in busy towns where its just loads of people passing through and sh1te music blaring. You're really just paying 1-2 quid for a can as you would in a shop and 3 quid for the table and chair to drink it at.

I have drank a few cans just playing Xbox or watching a movie or looking at pictures on reddit to post on the ylyl thread.

I wouldn't get drunk myself at all. 4 or 6 cans gets myself in a nice mood especially if I have no work.

id be half steamed after 4 - 6 cans well even more closer to drunk actually...that's a lot how I can enjoy a night in town...doesn't cost me a fortune to get drunk!!!

if I had that...id just be tormenting myself trying to get a spin into town to go out....its prob aswel I rarely drink anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

any field or next to a river

Surely you can invite someone to unbore you?

I never really got into drinking in pubs much, particularly not in busy towns where its just loads of people passing through and sh1te music blaring. You're really just paying 1-2 quid for a can as you would in a shop and 3 quid for the table and chair to drink it at.

youd think that....but being the anti social person I am...I don't want to be meeting to many people during week after work...just want to relax and unwind/or else try get to the gym/go for cycle during the summer:cool:

id be half steamed after 4 - 6 cans well even more closer to drunk actually...that's a lot how I can enjoy a night in town...doesn't cost me a fortune to get drunk!!!

if I had that...id just be tormenting myself trying to get a spin into town to go out....its prob aswel I rarely drink anyway

It's about your relationship with alcohol abd your mindset. I wouldn't be drunk after 4 cans. Would be grand. I usually drink 12 pints on a usual night out, 8 cans and then head out at 12ish.
    Maybe it's what my generation do these days but I rarely know anyone who goes to the pub at 9 and stays out for the night.

Mostly the pub, I'm at home most of the week I want to be out and about when I'm on the beer. Much better craic, music is louder as not worrying about neighbours, proper pints of Guinness on draught etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Much prefer the pub. Don't like drinking in my own house and I've seen nothing but trouble at house parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Wouldn't have even had any drink in the house before I had kids and my lifestyle got a bit restricted. Thought it was a bit lame but now I enjoy a drink in the house.

Wouldn't say it's better or worse than going out, both are enjoyable in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

In the park listening to mark McCabe maniac

That's so 2000, Basshunter is where its at right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

On my last half glass of wine now. Anyone in Limerick with a bottle to sell or give away?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

lertsnim wrote: »
    Most of my drinking is done at a friends house.

Never **** on your own front doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

Really depends.

Sometimes want a quiet night in. Sometimes want a quiet pint in the pub.

Some times want to go out on the lass, sometimes go to partys in mates houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Nothing beats a few cans of Druids at 11 in the morning in the park, listening to tonik FM(serious techno with shoutout to damo and lads drinking at 10.30am).

I dont like drinking in the pub. Personally I find it ridiculous that you spend close to €5 for a pint and toilet generally looks like it hasnt been cleaned since 1998. I stopped going to a local bar after there was an inch of piss and **** on the floor(I not kidding).

If the Victors Association want to know why people arent going to bar. They should look at the state of Irish bars and not blame cheap supermarket alcohol. Any bar in my area that has spent money in the last 10 years is packed compared to the kip down the road. People love a good smoking area, but most Irish bars think a bucket with some sand out the front is a smoking area. Even a McDonalds in Munich I visited had an outdoor smoking area that was sheltered and had heaters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I always loved having barbeque parties with people calling over, few people with guitars, good food well stocked fridge full of booze. Opportunity to do things that aren't strictly legal too :-)

Advertisement