Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boy awarded €35K for Broken Leg, suffered falling through trampoline

• 26-11-2014 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

and somehow, the court ruled it's Smyth's fault.

How? Sure all they did was sell the product on. As far as I'm aware, Smyths don't have their own line of toys? SO, how could they be negligent?

Compo culture gone mad!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

As a retailer you're responsible for the goods you sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The court heard that an forensic engineer had examined the trampoline and was of the opinion that the method used for securing the safety pad was inadequate.

That seems pretty straight forward to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    and somehow, the court ruled it's Smyth's fault.

How? Sure all they did was sell the product on. As far as I'm aware, Smyths don't have their own line of toys? SO, how could they be negligent?

Compo culture gone mad!

It's very simple, the contract for the goods was with smyths.

Smyths probably would be able to sue the company who made the trampoline but they won't, they'll get €35k knocked off their next bill instead.

Hopefully the kid is ok and the trampoline manufacturers correct the design issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Don't worry, they'll bounce back.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

35 grand is a lot for a broken leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

That seems pretty straight forward to me.

Would it not make more sense for the manufacturer to be held accountable? Surely the likes of Smyths can't run safety tests indvidually on every single product they sell, whereas manufacturers should do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

My only concern about this is the rather excessive payout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Ah me bollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Jawgap wrote: »
    Don't worry, they'll bounce back.......

aye, the toy racket is full of ups and downs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Too much money being handed out here. Another one from a few years ago.

€10,000 and the bike never even hit the child!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Ah me bollix

Ahh me leg!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

That's it. My kids are going to bounce like bejaysus when I get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

As a retailer you're responsible for the goods you sell.

So if i buy a car and i crash it into a wall, breaking my leg, the car dealer is responsible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Overflow wrote:
    So if i buy a car and i crash it into a wall, breaking my leg, the car dealer is responsible ?

Were the brakes faulty or did you just crash through bad driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Overflow wrote: »

If the crash is caused by the steering coming loose and a 'forensic engineer had examined the car and was of the opinion that the method used for securing the steering was inadequate' then, yes, they are responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

You think thats bad, look at this absolute joke!
    A 66-year-old woman, who claimed she had been wrongly accused of not paying for a bucket and mop, on Tuesday settled her €38,000 damages claim for defamation against Woodies DIY Limited.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/woman-who-claims-she-was-wrongly-accused-of-not-paying-for-bucket-and-mop-settles-case-1.2005746

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

That explains why there were no trampolines for sale in Smyths when I went looking for one. Most trampolines I see have no gaps to put a foot through. Something of design flaw in the one they sold.

As for the compo culture well there was the woman who fell on a Shannon cabin cruiser and broke her wrist. She got paid off. It also turned out to be her third claim in the last few years. Very accident prone it seems.

On the other hand the system encourages claims. Lawyers have a vested interest in encouraging claims.

folbotcar wrote: »
    That explains why there were no trampolines for sale in Smyths when I went looking for one. Most trampolines I see have no gaps to put a foot through. Something of design flaw in the one they sold.

As for the compo culture well there was the woman who fell on a Shannon cabin cruiser and broke her wrist. She got paid off. It also turned out to be her third claim in the last few years. Very accident prone it seems.

On the other hand the system encourages claims. Lawyers have a vested interest in encouraging claims.

Wasnt there some court set up a few years back to deal with personal injury claims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Ruu wrote: »
    Too much money being handed out here. Another one from a few years ago.

€10,000 and the bike never even hit the child!

Ha, PTSD. To be honest she'll need 10 grand for therapy after being brought up by parents like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

newport2 wrote: »
    Would it not make more sense for the manufacturer to be held accountable?
    The manufacturer could be a Chinese company that's no longer answering the phone. So there's no one other than Smyths to sue.

I would have thought the manufacturer would be responsible for any design or manufacturing faults. There may be more to the case like Smyths just buying any old cheap crap they come across and have made no efforts to check if it's safe.

That's why I like to buy European products with European safety standards like TUV or the Kitemark, it shows the company involved has made efforts to make their product safe and there is a process already in place should anything go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Overflow wrote: »

Nope. The wall builder is.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Soon enough, as this $hit continues, you'll have to sign release clauses for absolutely everything. Eating in a restaurant, getting a taxi, buying something, going to the cinema, etc, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I can see a flood of trampoline related accidents if this is whats being handed out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

bobmalooka wrote: »
    It's very simple, the contract for the goods was with smyths.

Smyths probably would be able to sue the company who made the trampoline but they won't, they'll get €35k knocked off their next bill instead.

Hopefully the kid is ok and the trampoline manufacturers correct the design issue.

Does it say anywhere how old the trampoline was? I'd have thought any piece of equipment is going to fail at some point, and trampolines typically go through a lot of abuse with little or no maintenance. I'm surprised shops still sell them, given the potential for these kinds of incidents & cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I'm sure Symth's will pass the bill back to the manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Settled out of court though, she may have only ended up with a free bucket and mop for all we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Settled out of court though, she may have only ended up with a free bucket and mop for all we know.

Jesus the boat race on her and she after "winning " €38k

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fuhrer wrote: »
    35 grand is a lot for a broken leg.
    Check your car insurance policy to see how much they'd pay out for a missing leg.

Really.

Broken bones heal in 6 weeks. I'd nearly be tempted by such easy money , if you can still buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

ScumLord wrote: »
    I would have thought the manufacturer would be responsible for any design or manufacturing faults.

Irish law doesn't exactly acknowledge the existence of a manufacturer. There is the seller and the customer, nobody else exists in the transaction. All warranties and liability are the responsibility of the seller.

This is positive in a way as you can't subject a manufacturer operating outside of Ireland to Irish law, you can with a seller operating within Ireland. A lot of goods are imported and someone has to be responsible for them.

• Advertisement

Check your car insurance policy to see how much they'd pay out for a missing leg.

Really.

Broken bones heal in 6 weeks. I'd nearly be tempted by such easy money , if you can still buy them.

Cant be that hard to fake an x-ray...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

this litigious culture is one of the main reasons why ireland is an expensive place. public liability and professional indemnity is too high and costs have to be passed on to the customer. it's time the legal profession was pulled up on this.

take this case, where the client fortunately lost.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-25352082.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I dislocated my kneecap on a trampoline years ago. My cousin broke her elbow on the same trampoline. Hmmmm..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I dislocated my kneecap on a trampoline years ago. My cousin broke her elbow on the same trampoline. Hmmmm..

Too late now,you will just be seen to be JUMPING on the bandwagon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Never had any experience with compensation claims.

I only got health insurance in recent years anyway. I think it's the only insurance policy I have. It's rubbish.

I guess he should get his medical bills and then whatever maybe 2 k for pain and suffering. Then the company should be made to recall all models of that trampoline and be compliant with better safety standards.

I did once dislocate my shoulder pretty badly through the fault of someone else but I would never of sued. It only cost me like maybe a couple of hundred in all. Doctor plus they gave me anti-inflammatory drugs to keep the swelling down and some paracetamol and a sling.

My Dad got injured playing football and would never have dreamt of claiming. He even got physio. Still didn't claim.

My brother broke his leg on a Tennis court and never would have thought about it either. It was kind of weird because when I asked him what he did to break it he said 'I jumped'. It wasn't expensive or anything it was just waiting for it to heal. These things happen.

It would be better if the child simply had there medical bills paid and then the company was made to recall the trampoline model and it was banned for good.

I think the company should be made to recall the trampoline though. But to be honest when you jump on one you know it is a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Were the brakes faulty or did you just crash through bad driving?

Was the trampoline faulty ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

What would people recommend for greasing the surface of a child's trampoline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

anncoates wrote: »

grease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

anncoates wrote: »

A call from social services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I raise you €1.78M.
    the girls decided to stand up on the seat, link arms, and sway against the movement of the bus as it rounded corners.
    The girls were all taken to hospital in Galway suffering from injuries including grazed elbows and head wounds. Bernadette Nicholson was later transferred to Beaumont Hospital.

No mention of broken limbs, or longterm injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

I must be owed a fortune from when I was a kid. Broken arms and legs all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Did you hear about the Dublin Bus that had 50 passengers on board and crashed in Fairview?

When the emergency services showed up there were 100 passengers on the bus ;)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Did you hear about the Dublin Bus that had 50 passengers on board and crashed in Fairview?

When the emergency services showed up there were 100 passengers on the bus ;)

Do tell. Claim would not go anywhere without proof you were on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Oh it's not true, it's just an old story from http://www.overheardindublin.com

Joke fail :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Seems a pretty standard compensation sum for the injury. The Injury's Board have a range of €15,400 to €35,600 for a fractured lower leg if it has "substantially recovered". It includes fractures to both the fibula and tibia (the latter being more serious). The child had both, taking nine months to recover, so it would be on the upper end of the scale.

To go through the IB/PIAB, the party has to have admitted liability, and only be disputing the amount. There's no need for solicitors, it's a fairly modest fee. It would've all been sorted at least a year earlier, too. Smyth's chose to dispute the negligence claim, however, and it ended up costing them more in the long run (settled for slightly more in the end, solicitor costs etc.).
    I raise you €1.78M.

No mention of broken limbs, or longterm injuries.

But there was a mention of a "severe head injury". You also left out some key elements of that article, which you conveniently didn't give a link for.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/settlement-of-178m-approved-for-girl-who-fell-from-school-bus-window-30777360.html

"a young girl sustained a severe head injury when she fell out of the back window of a school bus"

"Four girls - Sarah Lawlor, Claire McGrath, Bernadette Nicholson, and Saoirse McWalters - fell onto the road as the back window fell out and crashed onto the road."

"Judge Fahy found Bus Eireann guilty of being the owner of a vehicle with a defect that was a danger to the public and that could have been discovered through the exercise of ordinary care.

She did not accept that pressure by the children alone would have been enough to cause the window to slip out."

It seems that she's very lucky to be alive, never mind without serious brain damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

wuzziwig wrote: »
    That's it. My kids are going to bounce like bejaysus when I get home.

What kind of a parent are you, it's far too cold & foggy outside for the kids, bring the Swingball inside, guaranteed head injury, sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I only got health insurance in recent years anyway. I think it's the only insurance policy I have. It's rubbish.
    Until something goes wrong. You can go decades without ever using it but when something serious does go wrong you'll be damn glad to have it.
    Then the company should be made to recall all models of that trampoline and be compliant with better safety standards.
    That's probably not going to happen, people don't care about safety when they're in the shop, all they care about is the lowest price. The shop could bring in something safe that's twice the price but no one would buy it. From a financial point of view it's better to sell the cheap one, sell loads of them and deal with the fallout as they can share the fallout with the supplier.

My Dad got injured playing football and would never have dreamt of claiming. He even got physio. Still didn't claim.
    That's because back then people didn't like to publicly announce stupid mistakes they make.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

But there was a mention of a "severe head injury". You also left out some key elements of that article, which you conveniently didn't give a link for.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/settlement-of-178m-approved-for-girl-who-fell-from-school-bus-window-30777360.html

"a young girl sustained a severe head injury when she fell out of the back window of a school bus"

"Four girls - Sarah Lawlor, Claire McGrath, Bernadette Nicholson, and Saoirse McWalters - fell onto the road as the back window fell out and crashed onto the road."

"Judge Fahy found Bus Eireann guilty of being the owner of a vehicle with a defect that was a danger to the public and that could have been discovered through the exercise of ordinary care.

She did not accept that pressure by the children alone would have been enough to cause the window to slip out."

It seems that she's very lucky to be alive, never mind without serious brain damage.

I had intended to link to the article. Judge are idiots. I am not debating the fact that she was injured.. The article fails horrendously to quantify what her serious head injuries were. That could mean anything, like a laceration to the ear, a concussion, or even an acquired injury.
    I was pointed out the fact that from the article the judge seem to have given not enough weight to the client negligence being a contributory factor in her injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I had intended to link to the article. Judge are idiots.

The judge didn't award the €1.78M. That was a settlement between the parties.

I am not debating the fact that she was injured.. The article fails horrendously to quantify what her serious head injuries were.
    Articles on cases tend to be all too lacking on very important details in a case. It's hard to summarise in a few hundred words a case that likely has hundreds, possibly thousands of pages of evidence. That's why you shouldn't put all your weight behind them to criticise a judge, when you've only read one article and he's read the hundreds of pages of evidence.
    I was pointed out the fact that from the article the judge seem to have given not enough weight to the client negligence being a contributory factor in her injuries.
    It's possible that, had there not been a settlement, the High Court justice would've held contributory negligence. In which case, a percentage would have been put on the plaintiff's fault and the award reduced by that amount. It's hard to fully judge the judge without a) witnessing the case first hand or b) reading his judgment.

I'm not sure if something like this would get a reported judgment, but if it does, you might find it on courts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Considering the poor state of the footpath outside my work place I could "trip" tomorrow evening after work.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    The judge didn't award the €1.78M. That was a settlement between the parties.

Articles on cases tend to be all too lacking on very important details in a case. It's hard to summarise in a few hundred words a case that likely has hundreds, possibly thousands of pages of evidence. That's why you shouldn't put all your weight behind them to criticise a judge, when you've only read one article and he's read the hundreds of pages of evidence.

It's possible that, had there not been a settlement, the High Court justice would've held contributory negligence. In which case, a percentage would have been put on the plaintiff's fault and the award reduced by that amount. It's hard to fully judge the judge without a) witnessing the case first hand or b) reading his judgment.

I'm not sure if something like this would get a reported judgment, but if it does, you might find it on courts.ie

You have raised some very good points.

• Advertisement
Advertisement