Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Human overpopulation is problem

• 26-11-2014 1:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

It's not just a problem that impacts on one part of the world it will have a impact on every nation and economy. Is there any human measures that can and should be taken to control population before it gets out of control? I refer to overpopulation in terms of resources.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tough_rudder

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It's not just a problem that impacts on one part of the world it will have a impact on every nation and economy. Is there any human measures that can and should be taken to control population before it gets out of control?

If you care so much. Would you sign yourself up to be euthanized?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

No, that is a myth. Half of the worlds countries have a birth rate below replacement level (incl every nation in the EU) as in their population will decrease without immigration, as the native people arent producing enough children in order to sustain the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

If you care so much. Would you sign yourself up to be euthanized?

No but I'll come up with some polices if you like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

batman will save us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

bb1234567 wrote: »
    No, that is a myth. Half of the worlds countries have a birth rate below replacement level (incl every nation in the EU) as in their population will decrease without immigration, as the native people arent producing enough children in order to sustain the population.

World population is increasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Complete myth. World population growth rate is expected to saturate.

The only way population becomes a problem is when it's looked at in terms of resources. Funnily enough when looked through this lens the US and Europe are the most heavily over populated. In short, if you nuked Europe and the US over population wouldn't be a problem for a very long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Thats why the EU will be under Sharia law in next to no time.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Complete myth.

The only way population becomes a problem is when it's looked at in terms of resources. Funnily enough when looked through this lens the US and Europe are the most heavily over populated. In short, if you nuked Europe and the US over population wouldn't be a problem for a very long time.

I agree. I am looking at it through resources and the US and Europe are the biggest problems.

Complete myth. World population growth rate is expected to saturate.

Would have thought India and China were up there.

kneemos wrote: »
    World population is increasing.

Due to people in poor countries having lots of babies, these people use about 1/10 the amount of resources the average european uses. If the population was increasing at this rate in western nations, THEN we would have problems with resource scarcity.

• Advertisement

Due to people in poor countries having lots of babies, these people use about 1/10 the amount of resources the average european uses. If the population was increasing at this rate in western nations, THEN we would have problems with resource scarcity.

We are having problems with resources.

He said in terms of resource use. Do you think a few hundred million indians who live on a few bowls of rice and some vegetables everyday are the ones causing any scarcity of resources?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

The only way population becomes a problem is when it's looked at in terms of resources.

So would you agree that ever increasing growth fuelled by consumption is unsustainable?

We are having problems with resources.

Only because the resources arent shared properly, its a human problem , the world is still able to make more than enough food for the 7 billion or so of us on it.

Only because the resources arent shared properly, its a human problem , the world is still able to make more than enough food for the 7 billion or so of us on it.

Well food, rare earth elements, oil, gas, energy or minerals.

He said in terms of resource use. Do you think a few hundred million indians who live on a few bowls of rice and some vegetables everyday are the ones causing any scarcity of resources?

Try 1.2 billion.

I agree. I am looking at it through resources and the US and Europe are the biggest problems.

The US has far bigger problems. Europe at least is making some, not much, preparations for an ageing population. It's also trying to curb fossil fuels emissions. Among many other things that I'm too tired to list.

In the States, it's very chaotic, there's no overall plan or structure and if they don't make drastic adjusments their health services and economy will completely tank. Unfortunately that has implications for the rest of the world too. Don't get me wrong here Europe is my no means doing enough either. But that tends to be humans. Don't want to deal with some problems until they're striking them right in the face. For some of the future ones facing humanity that will happen when it's too late.

As you can probably tell I'm not optimistic for our current way of living.

Try 1.2 billion.

not every single indian is poor you know... theres a sizable middle class who live in moderate luxury..I think its about 20% of the population

Karl Stein wrote: »
    So would you agree that ever increasing growth fuelled by consumption is unsustainable?

I don't actually know enough to answer that either way. Intuitively I would agree with you. Intuitions rarely prove accurate for this sort stuff though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well food, rare earth elements, oil, gas, energy or minerals.

We can adapt for shortages in them. Theres no energy shortage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

not every single indian is poor you know... theres a sizable middle class who live in moderate luxury..I think its about 20% of the population

In which case your earlier post makes even less sense really.

As well as a few hundred million living on rice and vegetables who aren't a drain on resources, there are also a 'sizable middle class' who are consuming even more resources - I don't see how that help your original point.

China is, you'd definitely expect that given its population and developing economy. Oddly enough India isn't - yet. Which makes it remarkable really you'd expect the countries with such large populations to be on a similar playing field to that of the Europe and the US. Yet, if memory serves me correctly India isn't even near competition with Europe - even when Russia is excluded! Shows just how much we actually gorge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I don't actually know enough to answer that either way. Intuitively I would agree with you. Intuitions rarely prove accurate for this sort stuff though.
    Here's a good article, more for early morning reading with coffee than late night though :)
    http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2012/04/economist-meets-physicist/

Long story short: Neverending (i.e. infinite) growth, on a finite planet = unsustainable.

Here's a good article, more for early morning reading with coffee than late night though :)
    http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2012/04/economist-meets-physicist/

Long story short: Neverending (i.e. infinite) growth, on a finite planet = unsustainable.

Yeah but on what timescale is it unsustainable. I'm ok with growth if it turns out to be unsustainable on the scale of the millenia.

(Clearly I did not click on your link :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I don't actually know enough to answer that either way.

Neither do I and that's why I asked. :) It wasn't actually a leading/rhetorical question. I was wondering if you had some interesting ideas.
    Intuitively I would agree with you. Intuitions rarely prove accurate for this sort stuff though.

There's so much loud resistance to new/interesting ideas from the TINA's (There Is No Alternative) that it's difficult to hear the good ideas for the shouting down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Worth checking these fellas out..

http://www.populationmatters.org/

^^^From that website.
    We’re calling for individuals living in developed countries to be environmentally aware and not to consume excessively.

Edit: andddddd I completely misread the thing retract the below.

How pretentious. :mad:

No longer have the subscriptions, I'd be grateful if anyone linked to any of the myriad of papers detailing how "consumption" scales from a first world country to a third world. Think it was like 100 babies in Zaire was still only .1 an American infant - and that was when Zaire existed! It's worse now! Something along those lines. But yeah stop being excessive you poor people and stop wasting resources that you only really use in negligible quantities compared to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

People should stop procreating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Yeah but on what timescale is it unsustainable. I'm ok with growth if it turns out to be unsustainable on the scale of the millenia.

(Clearly I did not click on your link :p)
    Well, it's a much faster timescale than that - economic growth is tied to growth in energy production/usage (explained in article), and energy usage has to respect the laws of thermodynamics - particularly that regarding waste-heat being released into the atmosphere.

So, near our current rate of growth, at "...a 2.3% growth rate (conveniently chosen to represent a 10× increase every century), we would reach boiling temperature in about 400 years."

So, given that's just 400 years to reach 100c, growth would be severely limited long before that :)

EDIT: Though, that is mixing population growth with other topics like economic/energy growth - India/China do show, that there's plenty of room for population growth, with a more modest cost of living that consumes less resources - which (when considering just population growth), likely can go on for millenia.

• Advertisement

Over-population isn't the problem, over-consumption is.

At some stage the model of "economic growth" will have to be abandoned in favour of the model of economic development in already "developed" countries. Europe is "stagnating" economically while becoming more efficient, moving towards services etc. Reducing consumption is the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

^^^From that website.

How pretentious. :mad:

No longer have the subscriptions, I'd be grateful if anyone linked to any of the myriad of papers detailing how "consumption" scales from a first world country to a third world. Think it was like 100 babies in Zaire was still only .1 an American infant - and that was when Zaire existed! It's worse now! Something along those lines. But yeah stop being excessive you poor people and stop wasting resources that you only really use in negligible quantities compared to us.

You misread that quote, it is calling on developed nations not developing nations to conserve resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We need another war to lower the population count. Next war will be for resources; the poor overpopulated developing countries versus the developed countries with their human rights rules.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    You misread that quote, it is calling on developed nations not developing nations to conserve resources.
    Doh

Yep,

I did thanks.

A sign to sign off from serious stuff for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

At some stage the model of "economic growth" will have to be abandoned in favour of the model of economic development in already "developed" countries. Europe is "stagnating" economically while becoming more efficient, moving towards services etc. Reducing consumption is the key.

Global warming started at 3 billion humans in the 1960s. Whether we reduce consumption or not, our population is set to stablise at 15 billion humans, which far too many. We need to slow down population growth as that will give us more time to develop cleaner ways to transport goods and people.

What's going to happen to oil reserves when the majority of that 15 billion want petrol in their cars? The reason why America is hellbent on invading Middle-eastern countries is because they know the old is running out and they want control of the oil reserves or else their superpower status is in danger.

We also have the issue of banged-up, old vehicles in 3rd world that produce a lot more pollution than western vehicles. India is the 5th highest polluter and has the second largest population. The West needs to issue sanctions on India if they don't get their shít together.

Ireland needs to move to nuclear power instead burning coal and peat to feed our power plants but you morons who are terrified the Fukushima disaster will happen to us. That was caused by magnitude 9.0 earthquake, the 5th-most-powerful earthquake in the history of Seismology. Here is a list of earthquakes in the British Isles and none of them come anywhere near close to the magnitude of the Japan one. That list also shows earthquake that hit the UK and they have 9 active nuclear power plants, but no nuclear disasters

I also remember there was some idiot on here who created a thread lambasting China's one child policy. At least they're doing something about it, unlike India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Population of England & Wales 1841 - 19.5 million
    Population of Ireland 1841 - 8.2 million

Population of England & Wales 2012 - 53.5 million
    Population of Ireland 32 counties 2012 - 6.4 million

Better take this thread to the boards.co.uk. Overpopulation isn't an Irish problem ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Population of England & Wales 1841 - 19.5 million
    Population of Ireland 1841 - 8.2 million

Population of England & Wales 2012 - 53.5 million
    Population of Ireland 32 counties 2012 - 6.4 million

Better take this thread to the boards.co.uk. Overpopulation isn't an Irish problem ;)

We've certainly exported a lot of humans, though. Legalizing abortion here would set an example for other countries, not that we have a big influence on other nations but it's better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Karl Stein wrote: »

No, but I'd deffo go along with the theory that Jaffa cakes are less fattening than Hob-Nobs. Which is similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Thats why the EU will be under Sharia law in next to no time.

Here we go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

This has become a taboo subject. It is seen to be "unprogressive" to mention that we may have a population problem.

Often it benefits a country economically to have a larger population. It offers the government a larger tax income and is sometimes seen as a measure of success. Globalisation also encourages larger populations for a greater market size as well as encourages consumerism.

Our natural resources are suffering. Not just oil, coal and energy but also pollution is affecting our streams, rivers and oceans. On land our air quality is worsening and land is being over farmed, needing to be over compensated by fertilisers which often lead to pollution of streams / rivers. Food is being transported across the world and then often getting thrown out due to over supply.

The level of species loss has never being higher in human history. If we wanted to have KPIs as human beings I think reducing species loss should be the first goal.

Yes, I think there is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The entire population of Earth today, standing (or sitting) shoulder to shoulder, would fit into the area of Co Cork. Plenty of room for all, it's wealth distribution that is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Over consumption is definitely a big issue also but it does not mean you ignore the issue of over population. The planet would be in much better condition if we could all live the same lifestyle and consumption levels as 1841. I cannot see that happening though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Us Europeans would want to stop it all together, we're breeding like rabbits.

The entire population of Earth today, standing (or sitting) shoulder to shoulder, would fit into the area of Co Cork. Plenty of room for all, it's wealth distribution that is the problem.

You have proof of this? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Over population is a problem world wide but it's not a problem for Europe and certainly not a problem for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

If anyone considers human overpopulation to be a problem, maybe they should take a single, irreversible action to be part of the solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Am finding this really hard to believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 anticonscience

Agreed .Only those developing countries has a high birth rate but they have a high death rate as well .I think we should stop wasting our present resoures first

If anyone considers human overpopulation to be a problem, maybe they should take a single, irreversible action to be part of the solution?

Pretty sick post tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

It's not just a problem that impacts on one part of the world it will have a impact on every nation and economy. Is there any human measures that can and should be taken to control population before it gets out of control? I refer to overpopulation in terms of resources.

"before" it gets out of control. It is already out of control. In the 1980's when I was born, it was about 4.4 billion. Today it is approximately 7.2 billion. So in around 30 years it has jumped almost 3 billion. That wound be 1 billion every decade. By 2025 it will have broken the 8 billion mark.

With increased population comes increased demand for food, which lets face it, is the main concern here. Parts of the world are already struggling with food production, this will only get worse. Look at the Amazon. Every minute of every day 150 acres are destroyed. That is almost 80 million acres a year... disgraceful. Alot of this is turned into agricultural land to grow food for our ever growing population.

Parts of the world have already been destroyed with the sole purpose of food production. If you need proof of this, just google Campo de Dalías. This is a part of Spain the has been named Costa del Polythene or The Sea of Plastic. Even from Space all you can see are greenhouses, growing food for Humans.

Put "El Ejido, Spain" into Google Earth and zoom out a fraction and you will see what I mean.

EDIT - To fix my bad maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ireland needs to move to nuclear power instead burning coal and peat to feed our power plants but you morons who are terrified the Fukushima disaster will happen to us. That was caused by magnitude 9.0 earthquake, the 5th-most-powerful earthquake in the history of Seismology. Here is a list of earthquakes in the British Isles and none of them come anywhere near close to the magnitude of the Japan one. That list also shows earthquake that hit the UK and they have 9 active nuclear power plants, but no nuclear disasters

I also remember there was some idiot on here who created a thread lambasting China's one child policy. At least they're doing something about it, unlike India.

Ireland mainly uses Gas for its power, there is an oversupply of Gas in the market at the moment due to fracking. The Americans aren't even using Coal anymore.

Most of the big players have pulled out of the commodities market already because theres no money to be made in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement