Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Part of Ireland Has the Most Horrid People

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

More than one.... And there was I all set for the 200 acres around Edgewardstown. The fcuker!
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Aineoil wrote: »
    I lived with a group of Italians who thought all Irish people, regardless of what county they were from, were two face faced and loved

bitching about people behind their backs, while being as nice as pie to their face. I disagreed with them at the time but I now think the

Italians may have had a point....

"Honest to the Lord" honest people are hard to find in any country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Good thread...

It's a battle between the most northern and the most southern.

Hailing from Donegal, I find it amusing that people become cautious of me when they learn where I'm from.

I'm surprised there's so little votes for NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

"Honest to the Lord" honest people are hard to find in any country

Italians are brutally honest! I love them for that, most of the time:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Good thread...

It's a battle between the most northern and the most southern.

Hailing from Donegal, I find it amusing that people become cautious of me when they learn where I'm from.

I'm surprised there's so little votes for NI

The one lad I know from Donegal is a sound lad. I don't know anyone from NI

so I can't comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

RayM wrote: »
    I love the way people are considered wildly different, depending on which part of a small island they come from.
    I kinda agree, although people are probably different all right. E.g. Kerry people, in general, are fairly different to Dublin people in general.
    But horrible people? Equal measures everywhere I'd say. It may be boring to say that but I can't see how a place can shape a person's horribleness, moreso their family, community, and just personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I kinda agree, although people are probably different all right. E.g. Kerry people, in general, are fairly different to Dublin people in general.
    But horrible people? Equal measures everywhere I'd say. It may be boring to say that but I can't see how a place can shape a person's horribleness, moreso their family, community, and just personality.

Spend some time with Cork people. ;):pac::D:p

westmeath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There's an area of Dublin between the National Gallery and National Museum where some of the worst gather. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    As a Corkman I was going to instinctually post Dublin - but that would have been more reactionary than fair. I once stayed with some people in Cabra and everyone I met was very nice. So there are pockets of human decency in Dublin.

Thinking about it long and hard for me it is Donegal. Particularly once north of Ballyshannon. Everyone seems to be a cross between Eric Cartman, the Banjo Player from Deliverance coupled with the most obnoxious control freak you ever met.

They are also incredibly insular and will accept no wrongdoing of any kind takes place in their county. It is always someone else fault. If you want to murder someone in Donegal, the Guards won't investigate you unless you are from another county.

But sure the guards are all from another county!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Spend some time with Cork people. ;):pac::D:p
    I spend a LOT of time with a Cork person - myself! :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Aineoil wrote: »
    Italians are brutally honest! I love them for that, most of the time:D

The place which gave us the mafia, and Mario Balotelli?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Roscommon... Horrid sound people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    As a Corkman I was going to instinctually post Dublin - but that would have been more reactionary than fair. I once stayed with some people in Cabra and everyone I met was very nice. So there are pockets of human decency in Dublin.

Thinking about it long and hard for me it is Donegal. Particularly once north of Ballyshannon. Everyone seems to be a cross between Eric Cartman, the Banjo Player from Deliverance coupled with the most obnoxious control freak you ever met.

They are also incredibly insular and will accept no wrongdoing of any kind takes place in their county. It is always someone else fault. If you want to murder someone in Donegal, the Guards won't investigate you unless you are from another county.

As a Donegal man living in Cork at the moment, I thank you for your kind words:p

I have met some very nice Cork people but I have also met some of the most obnoxious, arrogant and dour people on Thor's green earth. And this is coming from someone who has actually lived in the county they are criticising....

As an example of the mindset of a Cork person, I overheard a work colleague tell someone who phoned in that when asking what Cork is like "Cork is a really big city and has around 600,000 people and Donegal only has 30,000 people." (Actual pop-Cork 120,000, Donegal, 160,000)

Also the whole rebel thing is cringey as ****:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Leitrim....had a few altercations with its folk in my time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

Surprised with so many Donegal responses, I know a good few Donegal people, and have always found them lovely. I love the accent, and always found them to be really friendly and warm, great craic - always joking about, extremely chatty and very decent/fair people really. Well the one's I've met have been anyways!:)
    Can't think of anywhere that has "horrid" people as a majority.
    As has been said there are pricks everywhere but I think most people are generally nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Leitrim....had a few altercations with its folk in my time!

I'm not saying you are lying but im pretty sure they dont exist:p

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Clankatron

what an incredibly boring view

I agree, but I grew up years ago so that's all I've got now. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Not all of the people but Galway city has been getting a bad vibe around it for the last 5 years or so. But it might be down to the fact it's such a heavy student population and there's a change in that younger age group compared to the ones that went through before them...also, a lot of feckless lay abouts around it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Surprised with so many Donegal responses, I know a good few Donegal people, and have always found them lovely. I love the accent, and always found them to be really friendly and warm, great craic - always joking about, extremely chatty and very decent/fair people really. Well the one's I've met have been anyways!:)
    Can't think of anywhere that has "horrid" people as a majority.
    As has been said there are pricks everywhere but I think most people are generally nice.

I lived nine years in Donegal and shudder at the memories. Hard and dour and inhospitable folk ..... lucky to get away with my life ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Donegal people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Graces7 wrote: »
    I lived nine years in Donegal and shudder at the memories. Hard and dour and inhospitable folk ..... lucky to get away with my life ...

The only thing that can really kill you in Donegal is the roads.

I love Donegal but I'm apprehensive of Letterkenny and that's mostly because on a night out there's sometimes a few lads that want a bit of trouble from the city folk.

I had a horrible time dealing with people from Clonmel in recent years. Nice town but I can't figure if it was some sort of nordie hate or we just didn't 'get' one another.

As others have said, it doesn't matter where someone is from. If they're a tool then they're a tool regardless of anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

aaronc182 wrote: »
    westmeath!

Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Council estates in a lot of counties.

Btw I live in a private estate next door to a council estate. Scumbags smash all our windows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Some of the lifeforms that infest Dublin city are beyond horrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

I can't say for sure which part, but it looks like the majority of them congregate on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

John Doe1 wrote: »
    As a Donegal man living in Cork at the moment, I thank you for your kind words:p

I have met some very nice Cork people but I have also met some of the most obnoxious, arrogant and dour people on Thor's green earth. And this is coming from someone who has actually lived in the county they are criticising....

As an example of the mindset of a Cork person, I overheard a work colleague tell someone who phoned in that when asking what Cork is like "Cork is a really big city and has around 600,000 people and Donegal only has 30,000 people." (Actual pop-Cork 120,000, Donegal, 160,000)

Also the whole rebel thing is cringey as ****:p

I dont believe that for a minute.
    I doubt there is a person in Cork who thinks a) its a really big city, b) has 600000 people or c) thinks there are only 30000 people living in Co. Donegal. Since the actual population of Co. Cork is about 500,000 with Co. Donegal about 160000 I think its safe enough to assume you may be prone to exaggeration and maybe just making stuff up.

For the record having been to Donegal a few times and knowing (just as acquaintances) a few Donegal people I quite like them. There's always one though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

There are bad apples everywhere tbh, I don't think singling out one place or another is accurate or fair.

That said I'm a Dub myself and there are some parts of this city I wouldn't walk into without a gun and bullet-proof vest.

There are bad apples everywhere tbh, I don't think singling out one place or another is accurate or fair.

That said I'm a Dub myself and there are some parts of this city I wouldn't walk into without a gun and bullet-proof vest.

Is there a city in the world that doesn't have some very dodgy areas though?

This thread is silly and I think says more about the people giving out about places then the places themselves. Any time I've had friends from abroad visit they always go on about how friendly and helpful people are no matter where in the country we've gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I've met people from every county on this little island, and apart from the accent there is no difference whatsoever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I once worked in a job where I had to talk to people from all over the country, I talked to so many people that eventually i could almost tell what way the phone call was going to go based on the address that came up on my screen. of course there were lovely and horrible people every where but there were too distinct areas that without fail had people that were very awkward to deal with. In terms of people who just were not nice, had no manners and were out to gain whatever they could, ballincollig was by far the worst area. so, not all of cork, just the area of ballincollig. 
    the second is not an area in ireland but a nationality living in Ireland and that was people from Nigeria, they are nice people generally but they are hard to deal with because each emotion they experienced effected them 100 times more than anyone else. when they are happy they are really really happy but on the other side when they are angry they are furious, it was overwhelming at times no matter what emotion you encountered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Although it is fair to say that everywhere has good and bad people, Cavan does seem to have more than its fair share of the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I dont believe that for a minute.
    I doubt there is a person in Cork who thinks a) its a really big city, b) has 600000 people or c) thinks there are only 30000 people living in Co. Donegal. Since the actual population of Co. Cork is about 500,000 with Co. Donegal about 160000 I think its safe enough to assume you may be prone to exaggeration and maybe just making stuff up.

For the record having been to Donegal a few times and knowing (just as acquaintances) a few Donegal people I quite like them. There's always one though....

I have heard someone from Cork say that the economy of Ireland is dependent on Cork. If Cork left the republic and formed its own state, it would be rich, while the other 25 counties would be reduced to poverty, on the basis that Cork is a MASSIVE business region and takes in far more tax than gets spent.
    While most of them are grand, there are some absolute freaks who buy into the Cork Uber Alles thing in a big way

I have heard someone from Cork say that the economy of Ireland is dependent on Cork. If Cork left the republic and formed its own state, it would be rich, while the other 25 counties would be reduced to poverty, on the basis that Cork is a MASSIVE business region and takes in far more tax than gets spent.
    While most of them are grand, there are some absolute freaks who buy into the Cork Uber Alles thing in a big way

I'm sure that again is an exaggeration and do you not hear Dubliner's say the same thing? In Cork the proc thing is a joke and not taken seriously, I only ever hear it mentioned when im outside of Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Macavity. wrote: »
    Not necessarily horrid, but for arrogance probably Cork people.

Cork people in Cork are sound folk.

Cork people in Dublin are completely different, because they're insecure in Dublin the arrogance and chip on their shoulder comes to the fore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

With only a few exceptions, I've always found people from Norn Iron to be sour, dour and with a massive collective chip on their shoulders. They also get ultra defensive if you ever question their bleak and parochial worldview. Suggest that their much vaunted Ulster Fry isn't up to much as it doesn't have black pudding, but does have cheap soggy fried bread can also cause their unusually small mouths' to pucker up like a tomcat's arsehole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Anywhere south of Donegal, I generally find the IQ gets lower the lower I go and the women get hairier!

By the time I get to Cork it's like a scene from Planet of the apes, cannot understand a word they say boyo!

Anywhere south of Donegal, I generally find the IQ gets lower the lower I go and the women get hairier!

By the time I get to Cork it' like a scene from Planet of the apes, cannot understand a word they say boyo!

Your not serious ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Your not serious ??

Course I am, you have Monkey in your handle, get your hands off me you damn dirty ape!

• Advertisement

There is black pudding in an Ulster fry, white pudding is the omission generally.

Also, you sound like you have a chip on your shoulder about them ones with a collective chip.

Just sayin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I was going to say Dublin my self OP, but after reading that I think Cork.

Ah in fairness, there are probably "pockets of decency" in Cork.

Actually, no there aren't.

Mmmm.... full irish breakfast :)

For me it has to have sausages, bacon, fried egg, toast, black & white pudding, soda bread, potato bread, beans, fried mushrooms & a big mug of tea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Mmmm.... full irish breakfast :)

For me it has to have sausages, bacon, fried egg, toast, black & white pudding, soda bread, potato bread, beans, fried mushrooms & a big mug of tea :D

Hash browns?

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Hash browns?

I knew I forgot something :o

Been educated in NI I had many a fry in student canteens and they were pretty bad but the full English I had in London a few times was way worse and came with some green ball of snot they called a bubble, made me gag.

Full Irish anyday :D

Been educated in NI I had many a fry in student canteens and they were pretty bad but the full English I had in London a few times was way worse and came with some green ball of snot they called a bubble, made me gag.

Student canteens. There's your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Someone sneezed on your plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

cork *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Donegal.......

Your reference to 'control freak' would suggest that you had a bad experience with a Donegal woman OP..

The rest of us aren't like that up here you know. :)

Yeah the cartman, control freak, banjo player comparison made less than no sense. Trying to be clever but he failed big time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Live with a Cork wan now. ... Moany auld bint

/rant:pac:

Probably not moaning - probably just talking.

But ... you know ... the accent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement