Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Circulating Pump - Power Cut - stove

• 25-03-2013 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Stanley Erin stove proving hotwater and also heating my downstairs radiators, In the Hotpress is it's circulating pump which is turned on/off by the stat at 65 degrees.
    I had a power cut last weekend and we had a monsterous fire on and the stove started banging with the power gone to the pump, the roasting water starting filling into the small water tank in the attic and once it got to a high level it went out via a over flow pipe through the facia onto the back footpath.

While this was happening the stove did not sound good so we eneded up emptying the contents of the stove into a barrow and throwing it outside.

A friend of mine said if we had ran the hot water in the taps it would have helped but our fire was fully loaded and roasting so I dont know if this would have sorted it fully.
    There is a 3 Bar blow off valve fitted near the stove so I know eventully this would have blew and let its water out and made a mess. (should this be piped to a tank?)

Has any one looked into putting a pump on UPS or swapping a pump to a 12V pump and running it off an invertor/tricke battery & charger?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

It can be done alright, but i think there needs to be a non powered way of dumping heat. The hot water cylinder is, i think, the accepted way to do this. How it's meant to work if the cylinder is hot or too far away beats me.
    My brother tried the ups route but found the pump made an unusual sound while on the ups. This was a result of the 'artificial' AC made by the ups.

I have a radiator located near my stove, on the other side of a wall and it takes a hot stove while holding temp just under boiling. Only a slow bubbling at a rate of one every two seconds or so. Not ideal i'm sure but it works and i'm not having hot black water all over the living room in the event of a power failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

jamesd wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a Stanley Erin stove proving hotwater and also heating my downstairs radiators, In the Hotpress is it's circulating pump which is turned on/off by the stat at 65 degrees.
    I had a power cut last weekend and we had a monsterous fire on and the stove started banging with the power gone to the pump, the roasting water starting filling into the small water tank in the attic and once it got to a high level it went out via a over flow pipe through the facia onto the back footpath.

While this was happening the stove did not sound good so we eneded up emptying the contents of the stove into a barrow and throwing it outside.

A friend of mine said if we had ran the hot water in the taps it would have helped but our fire was fully loaded and roasting so I dont know if this would have sorted it fully.
    There is a 3 Bar blow off valve fitted near the stove so I know eventully this would have blew and let its water out and made a mess. (should this be piped to a tank?)

Has any one looked into putting a pump on UPS or swapping a pump to a 12V pump and running it off an invertor/tricke battery & charger?
    What is a UPS ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Uninterruptible Power Supply - if the mains fails it will kick in and supply power to the load

Good few variations - some generate pure sine waves , some would do some vague approximation of same

http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

You shouldn't need a ups.Your heating should have been installed with a gravity circuit to allow for the likes of power cuts.Then you also have the problem what happens if the ups fails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

With the stove banging does that mean the heating gravity system is not working right?

• Advertisement

With the stove banging does that mean the heating gravity system is not working right?
    It will bang or gurgle when the cyclinder gets too hot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

It means there is no gravity circuit,is the cylinder higher than the stove was the stove a retrofit or was the house piped for solid fuel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

What is the 3 bar "blow off" valve for and who fitted it? Was it the same person who installed the gravity circuit?

More little bangs from the stove, the hot water cylinder is upstairs in a hot press and the stove downstairs. Stove was installed when the house was built but I don't know how good the Plummer was.
    Pipes go up from the stove ( about 2 metres) and about across the roof of sitting room into the hot press ( total 4 or 5 metres)

freddyuk wrote: »
    What is the 3 bar "blow off" valve for and who fitted it? Was it the same person who installed the gravity circuit?
    I'd say he's on about the safety valve

• Advertisement

Dtp79 wrote: »
    I'd say he's on about the safety valve
    Yes a safety valve.

Advertisement