Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed in finding a heater

• 24-03-2013 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

I came across a type of heater I had never heard of before and I think it was on these forums in a thread about heating bills and the expense of them but I can't find it now. Anyway I'm looking to research it more as from what I read on the thread it was quite interesting.

So I'll do my best to describe it. It is not a radiator or anything permanent stuck to the wall, it is free standing unit, square-ish in shape. I can't for the life of me remember the fuel it took, it took it in some kind of cartridge (liquid perhaps?), maybe it was kerosene or some combination of that and something else, sorry memory is hazy here.

I suppose the thing that stuck out about it to me (and others on thread) was that the initial cost of these heater units was quite high (I think about €300-400. But the poster who posted about it said that once you have the outlay paid then the cost of heating a room is ridiculously low, I think he was saying one of the cartridges that goes into it cost about €40 and he only used two of them the whole winter to heat an entire one bedroom apartment, which sounds pretty amazing.

Anyway sorry for the vague details but I'm racking my brains as to exactly what this unit was and where I can get one (online only as far as I remember). If anyone has any suggesstions as to what it may be then please shout out !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Are you sure it wasnt a super ser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

No not a super ser, I would have remembered one of those as I grew up with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

I have something along those lines,it's called an inverter heater.

i got mine in mcloughlins oil in newbridge. You'll need a fuel called tozane to run it on.

I think it's a kerosene with the sulhphur taken out, it comes in 20 litre drums

There is a puff of smoke off them when lighting from cold,but it's not too bad in a good size room.

The heat output is variable with the built in thermostat,which controls the fan speed and the burner.

they're good for quick heat but they will dry out the air eventually.

most of them have a carbon monoxide/dioxide sensor, im not too sure which.

hope that helps.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Thanks for that- I'm pretty sure an inverter heater is the one as I remember being on the McLoughlins site before and seeing them. Any ideas on running costs ? I suppose what I am after here is something a good bit cheaper than using storage heating, I remember in the other thread someone saying they are really cheap to run, how do you find them?
    Would you recommend them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

The fuel costs about 32- 45 euro for 20 litres depending on the grade.

I only ever got the 32 euro stuff and i fund it has a distinctive but not unpleasent smell while burning.

a full tank of fuel lasts up tu 48 hours continuosly on the lowest setting and about 5 hours on face melt setting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement