Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black smoke from oil boiler

• 23-03-2013 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

We ran out of oil last week, only got a refil yesterday and only fired it up today, in total about a week without it being turned on.

It fired up fine after I bled it (didnt touch the pressure screw) but after 1/2 hour black smoke was comming out of the chimney, its still working ok just a bit worried about the black smoke.

Is it a diy job to fix it, or do i start looking for a weeekend plumber.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Binge101

hairyslug wrote: »
    We ran out of oil last week, only got a refil yesterday and only fired it up today, in total about a week without it being turned on.

It fired up fine after I bled it (didnt touch the pressure screw) but after 1/2 hour black smoke was comming out of the chimney, its still working ok just a bit worried about the black smoke.

Cheers
    Could be a new pope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Cheers

You need a oil pressure gauge and a flue gas anyliser, you need an Oftec Man, or someone with the equipment to set it up for you.
    Are you sure you bled it in the right place :cool:
    The black smoke is a good indication that you should STOP using it till its sorted. Where are you ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

You need a oil pressure gauge and a flue gas anyliser, you need an Oftec Man, or someone with the equipment to set it up for you.
    Are you sure you bled it in the right place :cool:
    The black smoke is a good indication that you should STOP using it till its sorted. Where are you

I think i bled it in the right place, the bolt under the screw?
    We are in Arklow but hopefully we have someone comming out to fix it

I think i bled it in the right place, the bolt under the screw?

Thats correct on a Riello Burner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

id it still smoking. or has it stopped?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Check that you got the correct oil, by taking a sample from the tank or filter at the tank. Also remove the filter carefully -try not to spill too much- and empty it into a clear glass jar and have a look at it to see if you can see if it splits into two layers. If it does it may have water in it. Did you lift the back of the oil tank to get the last from it??? If so you probably have dirty filters at the tank and pump, and maybe water in the pipe line. The above filter check will confirm if its water.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

i think your boiler is trying to tell you something along the lines of please please get me a good service asap

smoke from an oil boiler is a common problem and can usually be sorted with a good service

and set up properly by someone using the right equipment namely flugas analyser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

A good service may not solve this one. Smoking just after a fill of oil is usually bad fuel, incorrect fuel or disturbed tank sludge affecting pump pressure.
    The service engineer will, of course, be able to indentify the problem.

had 1 recently out of fuel for about 3 days tank had been tipped up to get as much as possible out of tank result smoking badly sludge build up on tank filter pump filter and nozzle filter effecting the spray pattern at nozzle pressure unsteady on pressure gauge

sludge is a bitch especially if boiler is fired up immediately after delivery and tank is not allowed to settle for a few hours finding this a bit more recently with the number of people reverting to 25litre purchases

as suggested by shane and wearb may also be fuel problem and yes have to agree service only wont solve this

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rocoso

had this problem with my riello burner turned out the boiler had a lazy air damper (the device that opens the air intake flap) a few adjustments and everything ok again

• Advertisement

rocoso wrote: »
    had this problem with my riello burner turned out the boiler had a lazy air damper (the device that opens the air intake flap) a few adjustments and everything ok again

This is interesting, what do you mean by a Lazy air damper ?

when you start up your boiler an airflap opens on the right side of the burner (riello) if it doesn't open enough you will have a smokey chimney stack because the burner is not inputting the correct air/fuel ratio ...common problem ....there are mechanical adjustments on the flap

....there are mechanical adjustments on the flap

There are no mechanical adjustments on the flap, unless you class the holding screw that holds the flap to the fan housing a mechanical adjustment!

The only adjustable part of the air intake is the air damper itself. The flap is lifted by a hydraulic jack that is hydraulically lifted by the oil pump & fuel within it. There is no adjustment available to this jack either.

hold the flap more open by hand and see does your smoke go.....is it a riello burner?

when you start up your boiler an airflap opens on the right side of the burner (riello) if it doesn't open enough you will have a smokey chimney stack because the burner is not inputting the correct air/fuel ratio ...common problem ....there are mechanical adjustments on the flap

This sounds like an early Riello. Is it not hydraulic pressure that opens the flap and the mechanical adjustment on the ram for adjusting the air setting.

also make sure theres no grunge in the fan.....if all that doesn't work you should replace the jet and reset the pump pressure and if that all doesn't work I would get the fuel checked ....have you cleaned the boilers insides make sure none of the baffle plates inside are blocked ...if you have black smoke and have corrected all off above you still need to give this boiler a cleaning inside as it was running rich a will have deposited a lot of unburn carbons.....

You could not be further from the problem.
    Fills of oil do not cause "lazy air shutter" opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Almost certainly a blocked jet caused by dirt being stirred up by new fuel. New jet and and give your magic eye a clean should take care of it.

fills of oil do not cause lazy air damper problems but If you get a bad fill of oil???

if the sludge has got as far as the jet/nozzle then you are likely to find tank filter and pump filter wont be in a healthy state either

• Advertisement

This is what we're up against, roll on regulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Regulation for what ? Dirt/sludge builds up in the bottom of every tank :confused:

fills of oil do not cause lazy air damper problems but If you get a bad fill of oil???

Still fasinated to know what you adjusted to fix your "lazy air damper"

The lazy air damper adjusterer, of course!

You remove the Jack, pinch off the pipe with a vicegrip and jam the flap open with an old paint roller. Do you never read the manual

Maybe he's the phantom paint roller engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

+ Thanks (50)

You have to give it a spirited and uplifting talk. Convince it that it does a important job and simply cant afford to be lazy.

Worked many times for me

Wearb wrote: »
    You remove the Jack, pinch off the pipe with a vicegrip and jam the flap open with an old paint roller. Do you never read the manual

it has to be a quality paint roller the cheapies dont work

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »

Thanks for that Jim, Yes I forgot to mention that for best results it must be a Varian roller. Also washing it in petrol just before use helps.
    Read further down....

I had better add that I am only joking. Petrol is like a bomb aroung an oil burner.

Wearb wrote: »
    Thanks for that Jim, Yes I forgot to mention that for best results it must be a Varian roller. Also washing it in petrol just before use helps.
    Read further down....

I had better add that I am only joking. Petrol is like a bomb aroung an oil burner.

i think we better be careful here from now on too many trade secrets being given out

i think we better be careful here from now on too many trade secrets being given out
    I don't see much love here anymore being given to boilers! Can we please revert back to a more loving environment? It's the new me, I'm afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

shane0007 wrote: »
    I don't see much love here anymore being given to boilers! Can we please revert back to a more loving environment? It's the new me, I'm afraid!
    It's the feckin trip to Florida that has him in such a loving and forgiving mood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Robbie.G wrote: »
    It's the feckin trip to Florida that has him in such a loving and forgiving mood
    Mickey Mouse will do that to ya

Wheres the details ffs. Heavy or light pile.

Would a behind radiator roller work best as it has roots in plumbing.

Am I overthinking this :(

• Advertisement

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Wheres the details ffs. Heavy or light pile.

Would a behind radiator roller work best as it has roots in plumbing.

Am I overthinking this :(

you need to get out more often your brain is gone into overdrive

how long is this going to last

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Aye, only 37 more sleeps to go!

Aye, only 37 more sleeps to go!

enjoy

Advertisement