Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brave redpolls

Options
  • 14-06-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭

Have lots of redpolls using the nyger feeders and sometimes they let me get very close (1 foot or less) before moving off. By far the bravest birds in my garden. I have gone out to top up feeders and a redpoll has stayed on the feeder until I've started to lift it off its mounting. Is this common?

I would like to get some close up photos but they don't seem to like me pointing a camera at them :) Here's a photo from further away
    116973.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Fine line between bravery and foolishness.

They always delight me. Thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

OP,

Like many birds, redpoll will allow a familiar human that they associate with food to get as close as you have described. They will nearly always be resident redpoll that allow you so close and not migratory redpoll from other climes.

I have had some of mine take nyger from the palm of my hand, and whilst I have a small number of resident redpoll all year round, maybe five to twenty of them, in winter I get a large number of them who seem to camp in my garden from November to March/April. During those months I can have well over a hundred of them in the garden and have to switch from the one nyger feeder I use throughout the summer, a lantern feeder, to using three large multiport feeders.

They are a delightful little bird though, and although their colouring can look a little drab from a distance, up close their backs always remind me of the patterns on some big jungle cat. Great fun to watch in big numbers too, as they are as gregarious as house sparrows when in large flocks and their interactions amongst themselves have caused many a smile on my face.

I love in winter when I get the likes of the artic redpoll mixed in with lesser redpoll and common redpoll, as the differences between them are much easier to spot when all are together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Let's not tameness or bravery with birds that have a short "flight distance". This flight distance can vary from species to species and individual to individual. Animals with too short a flight distance get eaten by predators, those with too long a flight distance don't get to feed for as long. Individuals can pass on their timidity or lack of same to a certain degree so leading to the appearance that some of our garden birds are becomimg more tame. Of course these less timid birds are also prone to being taken by Sparrowhawks, Cats, etc. This leads to a much bigger debate on the merits of encouraging birds to be more tame - are those who "Train" birds to feed from their hands really doing the birds any favours? But that's for another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Yes, but at long as those Redpoll or most garden birds are in the presence of humans*, nothing else is going to get them. ;)

*With the rare exception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Kess73 wrote: »
    OP,

Like many birds, redpoll will allow a familiar human that they associate with food to get as close as you have described. They will nearly always be resident redpoll that allow you so close and not migratory redpoll from other climes.

I have had some of mine take nyger from the palm of my hand, and whilst I have a small number of resident redpoll all year round, maybe five to twenty of them, in winter I get a large number of them who seem to camp in my garden from November to March/April. During those months I can have well over a hundred of them in the garden and have to switch from the one nyger feeder I use throughout the summer, a lantern feeder, to using three large multiport feeders.

They are a delightful little bird though, and although their colouring can look a little drab from a distance, up close their backs always remind me of the patterns on some big jungle cat. Great fun to watch in big numbers too, as they are as gregarious as house sparrows when in large flocks and their interactions amongst themselves have caused many a smile on my face.

I love in winter when I get the likes of the artic redpoll mixed in with lesser redpoll and common redpoll, as the differences between them are much easier to spot when all are together.
    Artic Redpolls are quite rare in Ireland, Do you live somewhere like Tory Island? They get the odd few up there I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Artic Redpolls are quite rare in Ireland, Do you live somewhere like Tory Island? They get the odd few up there I think.

In recent winters Artic Redpoll have been recorded, in particular, in Kerry, Limerick, Clare, and Galway in decent numbers, as well as in smaller number in other locations.

Myself I am in Limerick and had quite a few of their white frames mixed in with my regular gang of resident and migratory redpoll this winter. I would assume that the colder winters of recent years that have hit the Scandinavian countries and Greenland have pushed some of the artic redpoll down into the UK and Ireland, moreso than in other years.

Funny that you mention Tory Island off the Donegal coast though, as another island at the opposite end of Ireland has been getting a number of confirmed visits from artic redpoll this year and last year. Dursey Island off of the West Cork coast is the furthest south that they have been spotted this year, although I am open to correction if they have been recorded further south.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've just seen my first redpoll on the feeder in my garden! They're gorgeous little birds :)

Advertisement