Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have to return to Ireland to sign on -- do you have any sympathy?

• 28-11-2014 11:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭

I had a terrible fall whilst hiking in Machu picchu and ended up with a broken arm, broken left foot, 3 fingers on my right hand and fractured ribs.

I left Ireland 6 years ago and have been working mostly in the US; my departure was mainly due to the lack of jobs here.

What I want to know is this: do people feel any sympathy despite the fact that I haven't worked in Ireland for a long time, or do people take the view that because I haven't been paying into the system that I should take a hike?

The welfare people in Dublin have been hugely empathetic to be fair, but I'm curious what people on here think.

Do you feel any sympathy for my predicament? 8 votes

Yes, you left because of a lack of jobs and only returned due to an emergeny
    0% 0 votes
    No, you haven't been paying tax and so shouldn't get any help
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Assuming you're not trolling, but you're not entitled to any social welfare if you haven't been living here for six years. You get nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

OU812 wrote: »
    Assuming you're not trolling, but you're not entitled to any social welfare if you haven't been living here for six years. You get nothing at all.

Not true. But any social welfare they do receive will be means tested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Whats wrong with the health system in Perú?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭PutDownArtist

OU812 wrote: »

It's at the discretion of the welfare officer as far as I know. Perhaps he took pity on me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Does that mean you won't be posting any more pics of you holding baby koala bears on facebook and proclaiming the wonders of cheap drink, nice weather and spiritual enlightenment every day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Beano wrote: »
    Not true. But any social welfare they do receive will be means tested.

Does the residency clause not kick in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I don't believe you.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    What about this habitual residency rule that gets posted on every thread about non nationals arriving and claiming.

Isn't the OP going to fall in with them?

I'm sure the welfare officer could have hit me with this if he wanted to.

Some people do know what empathy is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sorry OP. You haven't been posting into the boards system long enough to be taken seriously. Before you can draw down 'being taken seriously' from the system, you must have contributed a certain amount of 'credulity credits'.

I call shenanigans. Good effort though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I had a terrible fall whilst hiking in Machu picchu and ended up with a broken arm, broken left foot, 3 fingers on my right hand and fractured ribs.

I left Ireland 6 years ago and have been working mostly in the US; my departure was mainly due to the lack of jobs here.

What I want to know is this: do people feel any sympathy despite the fact that I haven't worked in Ireland for a long time, or do people take the view that because I haven't been paying into the system that I should take a hike?

The welfare people in Dublin have been hugely empathetic to be fair, but I'm curious what people on here think.

Trolllololololololol :pac:

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Sorry OP. You haven't been posting into the boards system long enough to be taken seriously. Before you can draw down 'being taken seriously' from the system, you must have contributed a certain amount of 'credulity credits'.

I call shenanigans. Good effort though.

Why on earth would I make it up?

The last thing I wanted to do was claim from the system, but I'm genuinely curious to find out what people expect me to do in a situation like this?

I had no health insurance in the US so it was my final remaining option.

Thank god the welfare office people didn't send me on my way.

"Empathy" from the hatch officer in the local dole office ain't gonna pay the rent OP, and as someone in one factory once told me, if you're looking for sympathy around here then you'll find it somewhere between sh!t and syphilis in the dictionary.

Do I have sympathy for someone forced to claim public assistance from the state upon losing their job through no fault of their own? Yes, of course, I'm not a monster and that's what the welfare system is there for. It could happen anyone in the morning after all.

But for someone who deliberately chooses to live and work without health insurance in a country notorious for dumping injured people in the hospital car park if they don't pay up front? And then climbs a mountain in a third world country without travel insurance? Sorry OP, but you can whistle for it I'm afraid.

BTW, no expert on the rules on this myself here, but without any PRSI contributions in the last six years the dole office are likely to tell you take a hike. Some mid level bureaucrat being nice to you over the phone is all well and good, won't put money in your pocket though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

snubbleste wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the health system in Perú?

If it's not good enough for Paddington, I don't see why he should have to accept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

So you come back here after poncing around Machu picchu for 6 years contributing nothing during the worse recession in the states history and the welfare people are sympathetic??,i have ran a business through this recession and if it closes tomorrow i wonder will those lovely people in welfare be as good to me

if this is true this really is a joke of a country:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

"Empathy" from the hatch officer in the local dole office ain't gonna pay the rent OP, and as someone in one factory once told me, if you're looking for sympathy around here then you'll find it somewhere between sh!t and syphilis in the dictionary.

Do I have sympathy for someone forced to claim public assistance from the state upon losing their job through no fault of their own? Yes, of course, I'm not a monster and that's what the welfare system is there for. It could happen anyone in the morning after all.

But for someone who deliberately chooses to live and work without health insurance in a country notorious for dumping injured people in the hospital car park if they don't pay up front? And then climbs a mountain in a third world country without travel insurance? Sorry OP, but you can whistle for it I'm afraid.

BTW, no expert on the rules on this myself here, but without any PRSI contributions in the last six years the dole office are likely to tell you take a hike. Some mid level bureaucrat being nice to you over the phone is all well and good, won't put money in your pocket though.

That's what got him in trouble in the first place :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That's a poor effort. 2/10 for you OP. Gone are the days when some people could subtly wind up the users of this website without even thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

You're gonna be met with a lot of begrudgery I'd imagine, but I wish you well OP.
    Hope you make a full recovery and good luck in the job hunt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I have a certain sympathy of course. I have more sympathy for those who have been unemployed long-term here, and particularly for those who were running businesses that folded and now find themselves entitled to jack shít until all their resources are gone and they're on the point of dying with the hunger.

If you don't mind my saying so, you embarked on a very dangerous mission without covering your arse in any way whatsoever. A lot of people living on a wing-and-a-prayer in the U.S. and other jurisdictions find out when it's way too late that no-one is going to mind you except yourself. The best of luck to you, unfortunately I fear you're going to need it.

But there were no jobs in Ireland when I left. I would have had to sign on if I had stayed here.

Health insurance in the US is horribly expensive and I was working in a pretty poorly paid job.

My trip to MP was to get away from the grind of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Why on earth would I make it up?

The last thing I wanted to do was claim from the system, but I'm genuinely curious to find out what people expect me to do in a situation like this?

I had no health insurance in the US so it was my final remaining option.

Thank god the welfare office people didn't send me on my way.

I dunno .. .it's the Internet .. its a bit weird .. are you wearing any pants ?

• Advertisement

Hi OP,

If you're going to troll the forum, at least attempt to cover your tracks ;)

You are welcome to PM me for further clarification if required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement