Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaking copper cylinder

Options
  • 25-03-2013 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a leak in my copper cylinder its at the bottom where the water pipe goes in but its not the pipe or connection thats leaking its like 6 or seven microscopic holes around this pipe that the water is coming through

[IMG][/img]77174681.jpg

[IMG][/img]42199009.jpg

[IMG][/img]62775846.jpg

I ran the hot taps to let the water/pressure out of the cylinder and the drips have slowed down a lot

Any body any idea how to fix this problem without replacing the cylinder?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a leak in my copper cylinder its at the bottom where the water pipe goes in but its not the pipe or connection thats leaking its like 6 or seven microscopic holes around this pipe that the water is coming through

[IMG][/img]77174681.jpg

[IMG][/img]42199009.jpg

[IMG][/img]62775846.jpg

I ran the hot taps to let the water/pressure out of the cylinder and the drips have slowed down a lot

Any body any idea how to fix this problem without replacing the cylinder?

Thanks
    Sorry to break the bad news but there's no fixing this. You could maybe drain the cyclinder and use epoxy putty ( I think it's called that ) but it will be temporary at best and won't last any time at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Thats what I feared it always happens at the worst time im skint at the mo,

I was thinking of getting solder flux and a little blow torch and going over the area a couple of times with layers ... any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭gifted

blow torch wont tickle it, if you had access to oxy/ace then you could cuprotech it, nothing else would have the capability to heat the copper

gifted wrote: »
    blow torch wont tickle it, if you had access to oxy/ace then you could cuprotech it, nothing else would have the capability to heat the copper

I meant just plugging the holes with the lead solder, or is that not possible?

nope, you have to get the temp of the copper up to a certain temp and thats not capable with a blow torch, have fixed a fair few of them in my time on the sites, always with oxy/ace

• Advertisement

I meant just plugging the holes with the lead solder, or is that not possible?
    Maybe for one hole but you've several. I don't even know what would happen if you blasted that area with that kinda heat. Might cause more problems than fix

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Maybe for one hole but you've several. I don't even know what would happen if you blasted that area with that kinda heat. Might cause more problems than fix

The danger is the heat might start to melt the existing welded seams near that joint, have to be fairly precise with the torch and size of the nozzle on the oxy/ace torch, also have to strip out that threaded fitting as the heat would burn off the existing flax and boswhite joint.

Thanks everyone,

Where would the cheapest place be to buy a new copper cylinder?

Its roughly 34cm x 90cm 13.5' x 36'

Thanks everyone,

Where would the cheapest place be to buy a new copper cylinder?

Its roughly 34cm x 90cm 13.5' x 36'
    13.5 wide??

Dtp79 wrote: »
    13.5 wide??

Yeah just re-measured it 13.5'-14 inches wide

• Advertisement

That'll be a special order id say. Ask your local plumbing merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Are you sure because cylinders generally are 15in and 18in

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

If you are on a well supply you will need a grade 2 cylinder, the standard cylinders are for reservoir supply only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Ring 014531046 and ask for irish coppersmiths they will have a cylinder that size n will price ir for you, they will even make you a cylinder with connections in the exact same place as yours.

Advertisement