Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chimney Question flexible flue liner

Options
  • 24-03-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Had my chimney cleaned and inspected and was basicly told it needs a major clean (major chimney fire risk) and due to the cresote build up he was quite confident that even after the clean, the flue would not be in good condition to light a fire (1940's house).
    Was then thinking of getting a stove and installing a flexible flue liner, my question is if fitting a flexible flue liner would this eliminate the need of having to get a major clean done saving maybe € 300 or so , or would this clean need to be done prior to installing a flexible flue liner ?
    Anyone any idea ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Dayo93 wrote: »
    Had my chimney cleaned and inspected and was basicly told it needs a major clean (major chimney fire risk) and due to the cresote build up he was quite confident that even after the clean, the flue would not be in good condition to light a fire (1940's house).
    Was then thinking of getting a stove and installing a flexible flue liner, my question is if fitting a flexible flue liner would this eliminate the need of having to get a major clean done saving maybe € 300 or so , or would this clean need to be done prior to installing a flexible flue liner ?
    Anyone any idea ?
    Depends on the amount if build up on the liners as you have to install a 6in flexi liner down the existing 8in one so there's not much room.
    So it's impossible to say without seeing it your installer or sweep should be able to advise you best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

All chimneys/clay liners should be cleaned thoroughly prior installing a flexible liner to reduce the risk of hardened soot/carbon tearing/damaging the liner during the installation process.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Thanks for the replies, suppose my main question that I probably didn't really ask in main post is , if the chimney is not clean but flexible flue liner will fit ok does the fitting of a flexible flue liner eliminate the chimney fire aspect associated with a crosote lined chimney, Hope this question makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Yes but if the liner gets damaged during the installation, products of combustion will leak into a deteriorated clay liner & possibly into the fabric of the building. It is common to have a damaged liner when installing to an unclean chimney. The liners are expensive enough without damaging them and even more when they get damaged. At least if cleaned, it can be thoroughly inspected and may not need the liner....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

shane0007 wrote: »
    Yes but if the liner gets damaged during the installation, products of combustion will leak into a deteriorated clay liner & possibly into the fabric of the building. It is common to have a damaged liner when installing to an unclean chimney. The liners are expensive enough without damaging them and even more when they get damaged. At least if cleaned, it can be thoroughly inspected and may not need the liner....

Cool, it has been cleaned twice now with a full hoover full of crap each time , with no fires between cleans, last fella was a real chimney sweep ( I think) :) . Will have to get someone again to clean it for flexible liner instalation, unless the moth forgets about this stove instalation :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement