Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you put up with on a daily basis at work?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Am struggling to find reasons to stay at this place. On a daily basis I put up with:

-Colleague next to me chewing gum constantly (loudly)
    -Bad lighting (headache)
    -Windows flung open when it is freezing
    -Rude colleagues (they wouldnt give you the steam off their piss. What is all this "team building" crap about? It doesnt exist!!

Seriously dragging me down, or am I over reacting?

What do you put up with on a dialy basis? Can my issues be put in perspective.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

i have to put up with
    1 Grumpy customers complaining of being overcharged
    2 an ignorant boss that actually owns the place that doesnt even say hi or smile at you in the mornings
    3 having to work every saturday and sunday and bank hoilday
    4 a frezzing cold shop even in the summer cus he never turns off the air-conditioner
    5 that every european forgeiners are promoted before the irish
    6 fact that all staff working there are lazy
    7 we get roster put up on a friday and our week starts on a sunday
    8 the one thing that gets to me most is when i complain im told shut up least i have a job

the joys of been a full time retail manager and having a mortgage to pay for at 23 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

1) Customers with bad manners (talking on phone when being served, not saying please or thank you, skipping the que, demanding extras they are not entitled to)
    2) Customers complaining about prices-I DON'T SET THEM!
    3) Working overtime and not getting paid for it ("shir doesn't everybody have to do it now, we're lucky to be working, blah, blah, blah")
    4) Lazy colleagues taking toilet breaks every 5mins, SO unprofessional, like they're in junior infants or something
    5) No air conditioning in a fully glass fronted building, it's like a sauna!
    6) Listening to junior staff bitch & moan about eachother, just get on with it.
    7) Colleagues who cry when they are disciplined

Nice to have a good moan before heading to bed! Seriously though the topic closest to my heart is the rudeness of people. Where did courtesy and manners and respect for your fellow man go? In my profession I have to smile all day at people who get everything they need(financially) without ever having to lift a finger or contribute in any way. they just demand it or claim a certain status and they get EVERYTHING! It makes me wonder why I bother as I am paying for them to do nothing. Grrrrrrrrr.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Why not take these frequent toilet breaks if you think there is no consequences????

Front line work is always stressful because not everyone has good manners. What infuriates me is how polite some people are with senior staff or figures with power and authority but who treat juniors like sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

1) Customers with bad manners (talking on phone when being served...

I hate that. If someone does that in the queue in front of me, at say Tesco's, I always apologise on their behalf to the lady on the checkout.

There is no excuse at all for being rude.

Best response I ever heard to that was the guy behind the counter say "Don't worry, I won't interrupt your conversation, I'll come back to you whenever you're ready" in a perfectly friendly, calm voice, and moved on to the next customer before the person on the phone had time to draw breath.

Worked like a dream...!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nix84

Being told you're working on days off coz if ya don't it's remembered
    Coming in for a 10 hour day and being told you have to do 12 hours every day for the rest of the week
    Being put on 12 hour day/night shifts with a couple of days notice
    Having to do all of the above because some idiot in the office is unable to do their job
    Getting blamed for f***ing up and causing other employees to have to work rediculous hours when it was, in fact, the very same person as aboves fault the f*ck up was made in the first place
    Regular cock ups with getting paid late

And the list goes on................

I think if another person says to me 'sure aren't ya lucky ya have a job!' they're gonna get a smack in the jaw. I don't have kids, just a partner, and I find working in the place a struggle, so much so I'm out with stress at the min. But how anyone with a young family copes I just don't know. I've worked since I was 16. Everything from chippers to laundrettes to call centres and I have never been treated nor have I seen people being treated with such a level of disrespect. It's a 'I don't care if you haven't seen your child in a week, you'll do it' attitude . I swear to god, the place is hell on earth!

Rant over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

1. Not getting paid. :( I can't wait to get out of there!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

1 Grumpy and rude customers
    2 A boss that thinks you're a piece of **** he's stepped in
    3 Having 4 different managers telling you what to do all the time, then having one send u to do something else while the other gets mad at you cos you aren't doing what THEY told you.
    4 Working 12 hour shifts every Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Bank Holidays until 4am
    5 Being treated like children and monitored 24/7
    6 Being Paid less then the Foreign and lazy staff
    7 Being told off by manager for doing something wrong when the people working with you are doing the exact same thing but never given out to. EVER!
    8 Getting your Roster on a Sunday Night and the week starts on Monday so can never plan ahead to do things.
    9 Not allowed to leave for Breaks, Have to eat the food they provide, a dog wouldn't eat this **** so Going hungry for 12 hours at a time.

There are many more i could name!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

A collegue whose putrid stink was so awful you could get it 6 feet away. It was simply impossible to have a conversation except at a distance.

There were repeated complaints but they fell on deaf ears and HR/management couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭solway

Ignorant sneaky foreman licking the Building Contractors ass and trying to stitch up the employees for his mistakes. Oh i almost hate him.:mad: Its when he is "very nice" thats when you have to have eyes on the back of your head. He's setting you up for a big fall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

1) Getting the roster on Friday evening when the week starts on saturday.
    2) Working environment is either freezing cold or stiflingly hot.
    3) working on my own with no-one to talk to
    4) constant fear of getting spot checked by the boss
    5) Dealing with boredom on a regular basis, cant even bring a book with me.
    6) Hour long commute.
    7) No job security

If i could find somewhere else to work id be gone in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Blikes wrote: »
    1 Grumpy and rude customers
    2 A boss that thinks you're a piece of **** he's stepped in
    3 Having 4 different managers telling you what to do all the time, then having one send u to do something else while the other gets mad at you cos you aren't doing what THEY told you.
    4 Working 12 hour shifts every Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Bank Holidays until 4am
    5 Being treated like children and monitored 24/7
    6 Being Paid less then the Foreign and lazy staff
    7 Being told off by manager for doing something wrong when the people working with you are doing the exact same thing but never given out to. EVER!
    8 Getting your Roster on a Sunday Night and the week starts on Monday so can never plan ahead to do things.
    9 Not allowed to leave for Breaks, Have to eat the food they provide, a dog wouldn't eat this **** so Going hungry for 12 hours at a time.

There are many more i could name!

I am depressed even reading that let alone facing it. On the bright side I was annoyed in work today but feel better having read your post

Great thread for having a little rant - thanks!

I put up with a fat ugly lazy pig sitting beside me. He makes smart remarks CONSTANTLY and thinks he's funny. The truth is if I made a complaint about half the stuff he has said to me he'd be fired in a second. For example, I have lost a lot of weight recently (3 stone) and he said to me the other day - O'h you're not as cuddly anymore. If you lose any more weight I won't fancy you any more!" I swear to God I felt like puking!!

aaaaahhh, that feels better! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

-Bad lighting (headache)
    If on a computer, ensure the screen isn't tilted wrongly, as this is often the main reasons for such headaches. If you are using a CRT, say so, and I'll look up the site that shows you what direction your monitor should be to avoid headaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 tippboi

1. having to ring in to work ever sunday without fail to ask for my hours for next week which starts on monday
    2. lazy lazy staff
    3. always been asked to do everthing because other staff are in capable of doing it or just plain lazy..( i have realised the more u do the more is expected of u..)
    4. constant bitching between staff.. wrecks my head.
    5. the usual customers been a pain. giving out about prices etc etc.
    6. manager hasnt a clue how to deal with staff ( gives out to staff on shop floor in front of all 2 see/hear) she also hasnt got a clue how to run the place.
    7. my hours have been cut from 5 days to 3 because manager works on her own for 3 evening shifts to save money ( she's a lick arse and will do anthing 2 suck up to owner)
    8. not been paid anything extra for bank holiday mondays. :( having to work nearly every sat and sunday evening shift.

Advertisement