Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Extra Hours

Options
  • 29-05-2011 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

A while back I was rostered to work (part time in an childrens entertainment centre) 11-4 but was then told I had to stay till 8 o clock.I said I couldn't and was then told "Well if you can't then we'll find someone else to do your job for you".Surely that can't be legal?

Another thing is we are regularly given these forms to sign stating new rules we must abide by.If we refuse to sign them we will be sacked so have no choice but to do so.Is this legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As long as you are getting paid 11-8 ( less your lunch hour) then yes they can do this.

These 'new rules' can be seen as amendments to your contract, you don't have to agree but they can let you go anyway so its catch 22.

You can be let go any time in the 1st year with just notice given usually a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

Can they threaten you with the sack though if you refuse to work the extra hours ?And can they really force you to work extra hours?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Can they threaten you with the sack though if you refuse to work the extra hours ?And can they really force you to work extra hours?
    Has been done ot the public service,so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What does your contract say?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

JustMary wrote: »
    What does your contract say?

Wasn't given a copy of my contract.The only copy is in their office.I can request to view it but management would become suspicious as to why I want to read it.From what I recall it doesn't state anywhere that we must stay longer than our rostered time.

I have also noticed alot of unprofessional behaviour by our manager.She has referred to staff as "stupid" on numerous occasions and told a new member of staff he couldn't perform certain tasks because he was trained in by a "foreigner". The manager gets away with this because they are related to the owner :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement