Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Hedgehogs

Options
  • 17-06-2010 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭

Hi. Does anybody know of a society in Ireland that can look after or advise about baby hedgehogs ?
    My dogs found 3, possibly born premature, living under a pampas grass in the garden with the mother but i'm afraid the mother may have deserted them. She seems to have gone and 1 baby has died.
    Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

See link here on emergency care.

http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/hedgehog.html#GO-CARE-CUB

In the contacts section there are details for some hedgehog rehabilitators.

Disclaimer * I don't know anything about hedgehogs. I just spotted the link on the Ireland's wildlife facebook page :o Good luck. I hope it works out for the best for the little fellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

thank you so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

you never said what age they were . what makes you think they have been born premature

jwshooter, I weighed 1 at about 40 grams. I am told less than a week old.
    Apparently it's not unknown for them to be born premature during mild or warm weather. That's not to say that these are. Purely a guess by a novice in this area.
    Either way, thanks to littlebug, I have been given some advice and will know what further action to take tomorrow.
    Alas, 1 died shortly after they were found but I think that there may be at least 1 more as I can hear a rustling sound inside the pampas grass.

I worried that the mother may abandon them as she disappeared after I returned the babies to her. The young were still where I left them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Any update ?

• Advertisement

No sign of any of them this morning so I'm hoping that the mother has taken them to a new home. One which my dogs will not find !:mad:

Advertisement