Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducato engine oil recommendation

Options
  • 16-05-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

2002 2.8Jtd.
    What oil should i be putting in it???...going to change it and filter before we head to France.
    A quick google says it takes 5.7litres from empty(dry im guessing)....anyone know if ill get away with 5 litres....obviously ill dip it a few times but should i be buying more while im at it!!(could do without the extra expense you see!)
    Cheers,
    Marty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

anything wrong with the halfords stuff????
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_162165_langId_-1_categoryId_212419

I can get a further 10% off .....
    i could get 10L for 42€ and have enough spare to do the car aswell.

Cheers,
    Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I can get a further 10% off .....

AXA members get 15% off in Halfords if you bring your insurance disc with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

2002 2.8Jtd.
    What oil should i be putting in it???...going to change it and filter before we head to France.
    A quick google says it takes 5.7litres from empty(dry im guessing)....anyone know if ill get away with 5 litres....obviously ill dip it a few times but should i be buying more while im at it!!(could do without the extra expense you see!)
    Cheers,
    Marty
    I changed mine recently and it took the 5 liters plus about half a liter extra.

Cheers... Think I'll get the halfords stuff.
    10l that way i can do the car aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Don't put 5w40 in it anyway I've always run 10w40 semi synthetic changed regularly.

I put 5w40 fully synthetic in because its recommended for 2005 on and I had some - my crank seal started leaking about 200 miles after putting in.

Turns out I'm not the only one:
    http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=23026&posts=13

So its back to 10w40 semi synthetic changed frequently. As for getting away with 5 liters. If you fully drain it down - get it good and hot and leave it drain for 20mins - 5l is under half way between min and max. If you buy 20l containers the oil is about half price so no point in skimping.

The ridiculously long oil change interval is about selling vehicles to fleet manager who''ll dispose of them with low miles. They'll happily 300k+ miles with proper regular servicing. My dad met a sailing friend at the weekend with a boxer with 372k, we had one with 272k on it.

• Advertisement

paddyp wrote: »
    Don't put 5w40 in it anyway I've always run 10w40 semi synthetic changed regularly.

I put 5w40 fully synthetic in because its recommended for 2005 on and I had some - my crank seal started leaking about 200 miles after putting in.

Turns out I'm not the only one:
    http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=23026&posts=13

So its back to 10w40 semi synthetic changed frequently. As for getting away with 5 liters. If you fully drain it down - get it good and hot and leave it drain for 20mins - 5l is under half way between min and max. If you buy 20l containers the oil is about half price so no point in skimping.

The ridiculously long oil change interval is about selling vehicles to fleet manager who''ll dispose of them with low miles. They'll happily 300k+ miles with proper regular servicing. My dad met a sailing friend at the weekend with a boxer with 372k, we had one with 272k on it.

Cheers paddyb
    Read that article earlier today...
    Will ring a few motorfactors in the morn so about 20L containers since I've a JTD in de car now aswell.
    Muchio appreciated.
    Marty.

Cheers paddyb
    Read that article earlier today...
    Will ring a few motorfactors in the morn so about 20L containers since I've a JTD in de car now aswell.
    Muchio appreciated.
    Marty.

If you can't find a decent price try the local co-ops dairygold etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

they hold just about 7 litres , with the proper filter . I always change the filter with the oil , and fill the filter before fitting . On any of the common rail engines I'm using 5w30 fully synthetic , of a grade exceeding FIAT spec , but it means the one 45 gallon barrel of oil can be used for VWs , FIATs , Renaults etc . On pre common rail I use 10w40 semi synthetic . And I've never had an issue with the oil suddenly starting to leak . On all the 2.8s and common rail I change it at 10,000km intervals . Less than Fiat suggest , but it works out once a year for most people .

Re the Halfords stuff , It's probably grand , but for the sake of a few euro why not get a brand you know you can trust? Fuchs , Mobil , Castrol etc .

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    they hold just about 7 litres , with the proper filter . I always change the filter with the oil , and fill the filter before fitting . On any of the common rail engines I'm using 5w30 fully synthetic , of a grade exceeding FIAT spec , but it means the one 45 gallon barrel of oil can be used for VWs , FIATs , Renaults etc . On pre common rail I use 10w40 semi synthetic . And I've never had an issue with the oil suddenly starting to leak . On all the 2.8s and common rail I change it at 10,000km intervals . Less than Fiat suggest , but it works out once a year for most people .

Re the Halfords stuff , It's probably grand , but for the sake of a few euro why not get a brand you know you can trust? Fuchs , Mobil , Castrol etc .

Cheers Aidan
    Got a good quote in 20l castrol gtx semi 10w40 so prob go with that

Is the 01 2.8 jtd common rail??... I thought it was but I haven't much knowledge of diesels and I've never worked on the fuel delivery side of one.
    Cheers
    Marty.

yes , it is . JTD is FIAT speak for Common rail . TBH , the fuel filter is probably more important on a common rail than the oil filter...

• Advertisement

yes , it is . JTD is FIAT speak for Common rail . TBH , the fuel filter is probably more important on a common rail than the oil filter...

Definitely. Also I'd also be very conscious of the quality of storage tanks at the stations I fill up. I'd fill up our other diesels anywhere but I only fill up our common rail in top branded recently built stations.

Excellent write up here about difficulties in common rail filtration backed up by research paper by American Filtration and Seperation Society.

http://www.afssociety.org/spring2011/proceedings/presentations/020-Verdegan-paper.pdf

found via this thread:
    http://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical-chatter/128747-fuel-filtration-common-rail-diesels.html

thread summary below:
    "I have been at a major filtration conference the last week.

There was some bad news for anyone who has a commonrail diesel and expects the injectors to last. A study of commonrail diesel filters under real operational conditions found that none were able to keep the particulate levels within spec. Which means that the injectors on medium and heavy duty diesels won't last to their design life.

Light duty diesels (e.g. the TD2.7 etc) are considered "disposable" engines, so the injectors may still last the life of the engine."

"The study I linked above showed that the main issue is resuspension of particles by vibration (or reduced efficiency of the filter due to vibration). Which implies that the rougher the road the more dirt you are getting to your injectors."

"Water is a huge issue as well, however not dealt with in this study. Now that Euro fuels can have 10% bio for lubricity reasons, water removal from diesel is much harder."

Cheers lads got a good price as mentioned on 20l drum semi synth castrol gtx.
    Changed the oil & filter, air filter and fuel filter.. Should be good for another while.
    Cheers
    Marty.

I always add diesel system cleaner when I change the fuel filter.

Can you recommend one?
    Thanks
    Marty.

I use Lucas or Wurth.

I use Lucas or Wurth.

Cheers.
    Motorfactors should have my new crankshaft sensor tomorrow so I'll see if they have any of that tack too.
    Cheers
    Marty.

Can you recommend one?
    Thanks
    Marty.

Don't touch it unless it specifically says its for common rail some cleaners contain toluene, acetone, various alcohols and are not suitable for high pressure injection systems. As an example of a supposedly suitable one wynns have a product called high pressure 3

http://www.wynnoil.co.uk/products-wynns-featured-high-pressure3.htm

Before you go adding anything bear in mind that bosch don't recommend or test any additives

I use Lucas or Wurth.

I got Wurth diesel additive... That the stuff???...
    Was the only stuff they had in wurth!!
    Marty.

It better say suitable for common rail , otherwise you got the wrong stuff.

It better say suitable for common rail , otherwise you got the wrong stuff.

Yeah it's ok for common rail...not sure if it's a performance enhancer or a cleaner tho.
    Guy in de shop didn't really know what I was lookin for and I was in a rush with de Childers hangin outta me.. So just grabbed and ran!!

Did I get the wrong thing???
    Marty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Camdec

And this may be very late in the day for you - but bring an extra pint/litre of engine oil with you on the journey to France just in case the level goes down a bit! You never know!!
    A friend of mine gave me this tip some years ago and I always pack in the extra pint/litre

Advertisement