Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Squad for game vs Nottm Forest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

What I mean that moving to the 'magical wonder land' that is England doesn't mean a player will be called up automatically, if that was the case these players would have been in squads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

But England must be a magical wonderland of footballing talent because the only players that get call ups for Ireland are based there.

Out of three teams of players based in the English Leagues (England, Ireland, NI), neither qualified for the last tournament. Maybe a differet approach is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Des wrote: »
    Jason Byrne got his cap while he was a Shels player. (cap, me bollix, he got injury time in a friendly game in Poland)

He got about 20 minutes against Chilie in Lansdowne Road too. Set up 2 glorious chances for Keane and Duff IIRC, that they both spooned woefully. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lolers, you guys need to get a grip.

In the real world, this is a great idea - and something that the previous management never did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

More games like this in Dalymount would be good alright, hopefully one against a EL select at some stage, Brian Murphy should be in the squad - surely a keeper can manage 2 games in 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Still no place for Lee Trundle! :eek:

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Des wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised Mooney isn't in the squad now that he's taken the magic flight in the aeroplane of aweseomeness to play in England.

Maybe they want to see him play a few matches against players of largely Cyprus, Georgia and Montenegro standard before playing him for the national team. No England conspiracy about it.

in fairness though if slavan bilic adopted that tactic, nobody would know who luka modric was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

IMO Conor Sammon should be in the squad.

2 goals on his debut for Kilmarnock the other night after signing from Derry. Legend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

IMO Conor Sammon should be in the squad.

2 goals on his debut for Kilmarnock the other night after signing from Derry. Legend :D

It was far from his debut, it was his seventh appearance for Kilmarnock this season, 5 starts and twice introduced from the bench.

• Advertisement

trust him, if anyone knows tets knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

It was far from his debut, it was his seventh appearance for Kilmarnock this season, 5 starts and twice introduced from the bench.

oops sorry i was told it was his debut. Even still though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

By my reckoning 6 of those players are products of LoI clubs, so we are at least starting to produce international talent at home. The next step is to keep them here.

Although I will say for certainty there are better options in the LoI, but they havent been picked because of the league programme 2 days later, so relax Dessie.

how did stokes never play for shels? If it was any other country he would have had his debut at 15.

how did stokes never play for shels? If it was any other country he would have had his debut at 15.

Shels model at the time was to overbid for the rest of the leagues best players. Even if they spotted his huge potential, they weren't taking a player from Bohs or Cork.

They got their cummupance. .:D

i know some might say it would stunt the players growth but rooney was 16 when he made his debut, and stokesy was a big lad when he was younger. now only think he might have gone to arsenal at 15, but i would have thought he would have moved after the JC, making him 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Republic of Ireland XI v Nottingham Forest, Thursday, October 9, Dalymount Park, 7.30pm:

J Murphy,
    K Foley,
    D O'Dea,
    A Bruce (C),
    S Ward,
    A Keogh,
    K Andrews,
    D Potter,
    W Hoolahan,
    C Folan,
    S Long.

Substitutes : A Stokes, K Westwood, E Nolan, D Gibson, M Rowlands, O Garvan, S Scannell, K Treacy.

That Keith Andrews is up there with the biggest pile of shite I have ever seen in the Premiership. He's nothing but a dirty hatchet man who compensates for his lack of pace and general ability by kicking the legs off anyone around him (see the Blackburn/Arsenal game as a prime example). I'd have Fahey in there 100 times over.

Can't believe he's in the team ahead of Gibson or Garvan either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

We know from how the senior side have been playing that Trappatoni likes to have at least one defensive midfielder breaking up play in the middle of the park.

I didn't think you were from the Kevin Keegan school of football management Xavi, 11 creative midfielders does not a World Cup win.

Neither does having ten men on the pitch. Andrews is a hatchet man at this level, a skill honed in the lower leagues where he's played all his football until Ince for some unknown reason decided he could play at the top level.

I've only seen one game involving him, which isn't a great amount of play to base this on, but he looks like a hard tackling centre mid that will break up attacks. We have a very attacking lineup apart from Andrews, so I would say that the management are looking for him to sit deep and break up anything that comes back at us on the counter.

I'd guess his job will be to lump into tackles and pass the ball sideways, your opinion seems to be that he is pretty good at this?

• Advertisement

Draupnir wrote: »
    I've only seen one game involving him, which isn't a great amount of play to base this on, but he looks like a hard tackling centre mid that will break up attacks. We have a very attacking lineup apart from Andrews, so I would say that the management are looking for him to sit deep and break up anything that comes back at us on the counter.

I'd guess his job will be to lump into tackles and pass the ball sideways, your opinion seems to be that he is pretty good at this?

No because he's too feckin slow! In order to make a tackle he would have to have a legitimate chance of getting the ball. Unfortuantely by the time he sticks his leg in the ball is ten yards away with another player so all he does is give away silly free kicks.

I'd definitely prefer to see Garvan and Potter in the middle but I think you'd need to replace Ward with someone who can stick in more of a challenge, does Fahey get stuck in?

Not really no. More of a creative type player. Fahey and Garvan would be an interesting duo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rowlands deserves alot more.. I think he's a great midfielder, got the attributes that Trap thinks Miller has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Where's the handiest place to park in Dalymount? Bear in mind I'll have camera gear with me.

kensutz wrote: »
    Where's the handiest place to park in Dalymount? Bear in mind I'll have camera gear with me.

There isnt thatmany decent areas. Maybe along by the church or around Mater Hospital maybe your best bet. There is a car park adjacent to dalymount but I dont know the times/prices.

kensutz wrote: »

Pigsboro shopping centre.

What sort of camera are you bringing and do the FAI know?

Pigsboro shopping centre.

Its Phibs not Pigs, can you use a keyboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1009/ireland_forest.html
    Caleb Folan and Andy Keogh grabbed their chance to impress Giovanni Trapattoni as they scored for a Republic of Ireland XI in a 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest

An experimental Republic side were impressive against the Coca-Cola Championship team at Dalymont Park.

Hull striker Folan was set up by Sunderland striker Anthony Stokes to open the scoring in the 24th minute.

Stokes played a delightful through ball to Folan who kept his head to slot the ball under on-coming Forest goalkeeper Paul Smith.

Trapattoni used all eight substitutes as he experimented ahead of the World Cup qualifiers but Wolves striker Keogh lasted long enough to make it 2-0 shortly after the hour mark.

Keogh got on the end of a fine left-wing cross from Shane Long and made no mistake with his header with 62 minutes on the clock.

Celtic defender Darren O'Dea and Blackburn midfielder Keith Andrews were also among the starters.

The Republic play Cyprus in their World Cup 2010 qualifier on Wednesday in Croke Park.

Republic of Ireland XI: Murphy (Westwood 45mins), Foley, Ward (Garvan 68 mins), O'Dea (Nolan 58 mins), Bruce, Gibson (Rowlands 55 mins), Keogh (Scannell 62 mins), Andrews (Potter 55 mins), Folan (Long 45mins), Stokes, Hoolahan (Treacy 45 mins).

Nottingham Forest: Smith, Lynch (Heath 70 mins), Chambers, Breckin (Wilson 62 mins), Perch, Byrne, Thornhill, Davies, Cohen (Newbold 62 mins), Martin (Reid 70 mins), Cole (Garner 45mins). Subs not used: Sinclair, Richardson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Who went off with about 15 minutes left to leave us with 10 men? We were playing 3 at the back before that and I think it was our only centre half, Bruce, that went off (leaving us with 2 natural right backs as our only defenders, with winger Treacy dropping back??). Just shows how bad Forest were that they didn't even look like scoring.

Andrews showed for the ball in midfield all the time with Gibson and then Potter not really looking for it at all.

Long impressed me most but there wasn't any really great individual performances.

Advertisement