Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Global Village on Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr_Ekan

Has the show still got a taxi company as sponsor? Things must be bad considering the first evening I heard the show with them as sponsor, there was a new feature where Dill asked the driver's opinions on a couple of topics.

Ouch, the bills just weren't paying themselves it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

it'll be some show this week with the terrible news of the nigerian taxi driver then. i wonder will she blame the nation, instead of one d!ckhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Awful radio with virtually no listeners.Politically correct bullsh**.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anyone know what kind of numbers she actually pulls in on a Saturday night? Single figures perhaps?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Listened to this on the way to work last nite... I just shake my head in disbelief and the ability of one woman to speak at length about issues she knows nothing about...

She had a go at Phil Hogan for representing a family that were worried about a Traveller being put beside them. Her solution is that Phil Hogan should have sat down with the family and explained to them that they were being racist and "down with that sort of thing".. They should house Dil beside a halting site for three weeks before she is allowed to spout her nonsense...

She also suggested that Irish media was not representative of Irish society, particularly given that there are 17% of the population that are migrants.. I saw yes, I would be particularly interested to see what she would have in common with the people from the muslim countries... Arent these normally the people that she is giving out about because they discriminate against the 1000 minority groups that she is part of????

• Advertisement

This woman annoys me intensely with her afore mentioned one-line lesbian immigrant mantra. She, along with Orla Barry should be put in a steel container and dropped into the deepest part of the Atlantic. Hopefully this show will be put down in the near future. Although it may be due to some sort of licensing obligation on Newstalk to have some type of minority representation programming so they went for two for the price of one. Surely the immigrant population can offer up something more interesting and less annoying than her though...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

glasso wrote: »
    This woman annoys me intensely with her afore mentioned one-line lesbian immigrant mantra. She, along with Orla Barry should be put in a steel container and dropped into the deepest part of the Atlantic. Hopefully this show will be put down in the near future. Although it may be due to some sort of licensing obligation on Newstalk to have some type of minority representation programming so they went for two for the price of one. Surely the immigrant population can offer up something more interesting and less annoying than her though...

I agree with you 100% about Dil but I wouldn't be lumping Orla Barry into the same category. Her Green Room programme isn't that bad. It's a fairly frothy show about film, arts etc. Nowhere near as annoying as Global Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Apparently Dill does standup comedy around Dublin. Anyone ever see her?

Apparently Dill does standup comedy around Dublin. Anyone ever see her?

Knock yourself out...

I'm going to contact Amnesty International. I've just been subjected to 13mins 40seconds of pure torture. What's worse, it was an alcohol-free night! :eek: I'd need a bottle of whiskey before I could watch that shyte again.

Somebody needs to tell Paddy Cullivan that he just ain't funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Dear jaysus that is just aweful... AWEFUL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Good old Dill and Victim Village...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Knock yourself out...

*stabs self repeatedly in the ears*

h553F0BC4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is global village supposed to a show for LGBT audiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

seachto7 wrote: »
    Is global village supposed to a show for LGBT audiences?

the show is for everyone except the straight white Irish male

the show is for everyone except the staight white Irish male

I was driving past the old Montague Hotel (near portlaoise), which has been taken over by the Government and turned in to a refugee hostel, when this man appeared in front of me on the road.. There he was walking down the centre of the road, wearing black, and being very dark skinned, I could not see a bit of him and very nearly knocked the chap down...

The first thing that went through my head "Jesus I could have been on Global Village next week". No doubt it would have been portrayed as me, the white (possibly Aryan) indigenous Irish, turf eating, racist from Ballygobackwards.. deliberately running over a poor migrant.. I had visions of me defending myself on the phone to Dil saying "The accident was not caused by racism, but by his inability to reflect light"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I was driving past the old Montague Hotel (near portlaoise), which has been taken over by the Government and turned in to a refugee hostel, when this man appeared in front of me on the road.. There he was walking down the centre of the road, wearing black, and being very dark skinned, I could not see a bit of him and very nearly knocked the chap down...

The first thing that went through my head "Jesus I could have been on Global Village next week". No doubt it would have been portrayed as me, the white (possibly Aryan) indigenous Irish, turf eating, racist from Ballygobackwards.. deliberately running over a poor migrant.. I had visions of me defending myself on the phone to Dil saying "The accident was not caused by racism, but by his inability to reflect light"...

Sorry only back from my holidays and got a decent tan.........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Oh no!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Well straight white males are the only group in society that cant seem to claim some sort of discrimination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It's a disgrace. As a straight, white, Irish male, I find it utterly infuriating that Newstalk only aims 99% of its programming towards me.
    neris wrote:
    Well straight white males are the only group in society that cant seem to claim some sort of discrimination

Tell me about it. I bet if I contacted Global Village, telling them about the hellish discrimination I experience on a daily basis, as a result of my sexuality, my skin colour and my nationality, they wouldn't be interested. It's a disgrace that Newstalk has no programming at all (apart from Ivan Yates, Pat Kenny, George Hook, Marc Coleman, etc) aimed towards boorish, God-fearing, right-wing, climate-change-denying, straight, middle-class, white males.

And of course, people will accuse us of overreacting. They'll tell us that our hatred of a single weekly, off-peak, 2-hour programme aimed towards so-called "minorities" is ridiculously irrational. They'll even tell us that we aren't the most discriminated-against group in society.

It's a disgrace, that's what it is. A disgrace. Disgraceful.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 spear_mint

was driving yesterday evening when this show came on , the presenter did a pretty good impression of vincent browne

she seemed completely astonished that anyone could have any issue with travellers and lamented the fact that travellers have not been given ethnic status

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

the list of people that make me want to break things.

ivana bacik.

dill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

Pretty much the only show on Newstalk I have to turn off.

Seems as if Global Village has morphed into Midwifery Village, with the emphasis being on the HSE bias against home births. At least Dil can't play the race card on this issue..........or can she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I find it amazing that she presents a show that purports to stand up for the rights of people who are deprived of opportunity because of who they are, yet she is prepared to deny her own child the opportunity of knowing it's father and having a paternal influence in it's life....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 dinny_byrne

Seems as if Global Village has morphed into Midwifery Village, with the emphasis being on the HSE bias against home births. At least Dil can't play the race card on this issue..........or can she?

she was on the pat kenny radio show with her partner a few weeks ago , discussing how they are expecting a child and the public feedback , while stating ( in her own words ) that 99% of reaction on the internet etc was possitive , she wanted to see action taken against the 1% who questioned her decisions

this woman makes a public spectacle of her ( and her partners ) life choices yet demands censorship on those few who disagree with her choices

this woman has control issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I find it the most one sided show on Irish radio. If you are a white, Irish, straight male who isn't a traveller you're evil.

All we can hope for is that she takes the full 6 months mat leave:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Even the ads for this show make my skin crawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Dil compared Irish media to Sri Lankan media on her latest broadcast.

Sri Lanka which "is on of the most inhospitable countries in the world" for journalists, and in which "many have been murdered at the hands of the government for simply criticising those in power"! (Dil's words in quotes)

Seems a rational comparison to make?!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Dil compared Irish media to Sri Lankan media on her latest broadcast.

Sri Lanka which "is one of the most inhospitable countries in the world" for journalists, and in which "many have been murdered at the hands of the government for simply criticising those in power"! (Dil's words in quotes)

Seems a rational comparison to make?!! :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement